Pres Café
"Local TV" licences to be renewed through to 2034 - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Industry News, Technology and Facilities (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: "Local TV" licences to be renewed through to 2034 (/showthread.php?tid=476)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: "Local TV" licences to be renewed through to 2034 - Neil Jones - 07-06-2024

(07-06-2024, 05:21 PM)Jon Wrote:  I think anything other than rubber stamping the continuation of the licences is going to be way down the list of priorities of the next government, if it’s not taking any public subsidies. Particularly as any licence extension will presumably take them to the time terrestrial broadcasts are turned off all together.

And if you closed them down on the basis they’re not fulfilling their original remit, you’d also close down ITV and pretty much every commercial radio station in the country.

Yes but there's a difference between ITV and Local TV. ITV at least does regional news and does it well. While it was originally region based, it was also nationally networked for a significant chunk of the time especially in peak time.

This is in stark contrast to most Local TV operations, which promised the earth, delivered very little of it and then went off and delivered even less than that. At least ITV does deliver, most of the local TV operations are supposed to do something like 30hrs a week first run programming, and they're not even doing that.

RE: "Local TV" licences to be renewed through to 2034 - Brekkie - 08-06-2024

Although of course that was never realistic considering even a peak regionality the ITV regions weren't close to delivering that in terms of pure regional content, and perhaps more relevantly the smaller nationwide digital channels generally only have a few hours of original content a week too. (Side note but local TV is where a brand like "U&London" for example might actually make sense!)

Agree though it's not a priority for whoever gets elected, especially if there is no longer a claim on the licence fee. For me it's more a question of whether it's worth the incumbants applying - That's TV has established itself away from Local TV now so have to wonder if 7/8 on the EPG is worth the costs of even the most basic of local services. Don't think Local TV the company has any other broadcast interests considering they had to resort to their archive to fill the hours once Talk TV ceased as a channel, whilst for those actually doing it properly it's the point where they can step away with whatever money they've got left from the operation.

RE: "Local TV" licences to be renewed through to 2034 - Stooky Bill - 09-06-2024

Nice that some of the local channels are seeing some of the eclectic archive repeats that London has always enjoyed. I notice lots of episodes of Goodnight Sweetheart on my local one.

There's a lot I don't recognise though, bought in lifestyle stuff I assume. Unfortunately just when it got interesting I haven't been able to receive it recently for some reason