Pres Café
UEFA Euro 2024 - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: UEFA Euro 2024 (/showthread.php?tid=620)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

RE: UEFA Euro 2024 - Luc - 18-06-2024

What's up with the sound quality in the Beeb's indoor studio? Feels a bit echoey and almost as if they're in a cupboard

RE: UEFA Euro 2024 - robrymond - 18-06-2024

Nice of them to end the coverage with Dario G - Sunchyme over the top given the sad news of his death.

The studio is suffering from people outside whistling and chanting tonight too.

RE: UEFA Euro 2024 - lookoutwales - 19-06-2024

Red Button and iPlayer are carrying Sportscene's extended build-up to Scotland v Switzerland.

Rather basic one-camera pres from Cologne but makes a nice change from the usual fallback of UEFA world feed pictures and 5 Live audio.

RE: UEFA Euro 2024 - scottishtv - 19-06-2024

Plenty of commentary options for the Scotland v Switzerland game tonight:

- BBC One Network: James McFadden, Steve Bower
- BBC One Scotland: Liam McLeod, Neil McCann
- BBC Radio 5 Live: Ali Bruce-Ball, Pat Nevin
- BBC Radio Scotland: Alasdair Lamont, Steven Thompson, Leanne Crichton
- BBC Radio nan Gàidheal: Callum and Alasdair? (I can't make out Gaelic surnames)

RE: UEFA Euro 2024 - Brekkie - 19-06-2024

Feel tonights BBC line up has been much more watchable than Lineker and co. have been so far in the early stages of the tournament.

RE: UEFA Euro 2024 - LargelyALurker - 19-06-2024

(19-06-2024, 09:00 PM)scottishtv Wrote:  Plenty of commentary options for the Scotland v Switzerland game tonight:

- BBC One Network: James McFadden, Steve Bower
- BBC One Scotland: Liam McLeod, Neil McCann
- BBC Radio 5 Live: Ali Bruce-Ball, Pat Nevin
- BBC Radio Scotland: Alasdair Lamont, Steven Thompson, Leanne Crichton
- BBC Radio nan Gàidheal: Callum and Alasdair? (I can't make out Gaelic surnames)

The opt between network coverage and Scotland-specific commentary on BBC1 Scotland was a bit questionable, with Gaby Logan thanking James and Steve when taking over, despite them not being the commentators we’d just had

Similarly the interview with the network commentators at half time - I don’t think there was an acknowledgement of the Scotland commentary team unless I missed it?

Not the end of the world, of course, but for a Scotland game you’d think the viewers in Scotland shouldn’t be an afterthought for network teams!

RE: UEFA Euro 2024 - steve - 19-06-2024

(19-06-2024, 10:01 PM)LargelyALurker Wrote:  Similarly the interview with the network commentators at half time - I don’t think there was an acknowledgement of the Scotland commentary team unless I missed it?

Certainly at the end of half time she name checked both going back to the stadium - on BBC One it’s x and on BBC One Scotland it’s y.

RE: UEFA Euro 2024 - scottishtv - 19-06-2024

I listened to Sportsound on Radio Scotland. Initially I thought three contributors might be too much, but it was very good and they had loads of player-specific knowledge and insight to tactics.

Plus, they weren't afraid to admit to being nervous as Scotland fans!

I'm sure Ali and Pat on 5 Live were good too.

Obviously you want to watch the match whenever you can, but if you need to listen then the BBC's radio coverage has so much passion and energy. It's really very good.

RE: UEFA Euro 2024 - RhysJR - 20-06-2024

Not quite sure what the point of a Scotland-specific commentary on TV was tonight. If BBC Scotland had done entirely seperate coverage I'd find it fair enough, but the network commentary would likely have been as much as Scotland-focused as BBC Scotland's, bar Steve Bower not actually being Scottish. The previous time this type of operation occured (Wales v. England at the World Cup) I could see a bit more merit in it, but then again the network commentary tried to be balanced with a Welsh voice alongside the English.

The 'extra' BBC Scotland build-up was a bit odd as well. It was only 20 minutes long, so there was a gap between the extra build-up and the main coverage. I think it aired on the Red Button as the feed reverted to the 5 Live build-up over the world feed pictures.

PS If anyone wants a more immersive build-up to a match, the world feed airs for around an hour until 15 minutes before kick-off on the match page on uefa.com. It is nice to have to experience the crowd building up inside the stadium.

(19-06-2024, 10:37 PM)scottishtv Wrote:  I listened to Sportsound on Radio Scotland. Initially I thought three contributors might be too much, but it was very good and they had loads of player-specific knowledge and insight to tactics.

Plus, they weren't afraid to admit to being nervous as Scotland fans!

I'm sure Ali and Pat on 5 Live were good too.

Obviously you want to watch the match whenever you can, but if you need to listen then the BBC's radio coverage has so much passion and energy. It's really very good.

Very much agree with this. I listened to the majority of the first game the last two days on Radio 5 Live, and the energy of it all does feel extra heightened through the radio. Despite two not regular voices to 5 Live commentaries, in Chris Coles and Lee Blakeman, and those matches liking being done from Salford I'd wager, the coverage and commentary was excellent and very enjoyable (helped by two crackers of matches in those cases). I do like how 5 Live have extra guests such as journalists to give more background on different teams as well.

(18-06-2024, 03:23 AM)RhysJR Wrote:  In the US, there has been some anger that FOX has sublet five games to streaming service FuboTV. The only way to access these games is via signing up for at least a month at the cost of at least $79! For context, previous rights holders ESPN's streaming option (ESPN+) is $9.99 a month, and the Spanish streaming option in the US, Vix, is $6.99 a month.

And to add insult to injury, on Saturday, FOX Sports 1 showed angling over Hungary v. Switzerland. And, as I think we have gathered by the virtue of different broadcasters having differing scoreboards, the core world feed doesn't carry a scoreboard burnt in, so Fubo viewers were without a clock and score for the whole game. Farcical.

https://x.com/eddiemikus/status/1801960354273972492 

https://awfulannouncing.com/fubo/soccer-fans-blast-amateur-production-cost-euro-24.html 

Fubo did go to the effort of having a scoreboard for their second exclusive match (screengrab from the FOX Sports Twitter). It sounds like that it was just the world feed commentary used.

https://up.metropol247.co.uk/RhysJR/TVLF%20346.jpg 

[For the cover picture of the thread]
https://up.metropol247.co.uk/RhysJR/TVLF%20347.jpg 

RE: UEFA Euro 2024 - Rdd - 20-06-2024

(20-06-2024, 12:19 AM)RhysJR Wrote:  Not quite sure what the point of a Scotland-specific commentary on TV was tonight. If BBC Scotland had done entirely seperate coverage I'd find it fair enough, but the network commentary would likely have been as much as Scotland-focused as BBC Scotland's, bar Steve Bower not actually being Scottish. The previous time this type of operation occured (Wales v. England at the World Cup) I could see a bit more merit in it, but then again the network commentary tried to be balanced with a Welsh voice alongside the English

This. If BBC Scotland had done an entirely separate show separate commentary would be understandable, but if the only difference was the commentary, since they already had a Scottish analyst, surely the solution was to have a Scottish commentator too and that would have done the bill?

Sadly, this is the international football tournament I say goodbye to RTE. Now it’s been a while since the halychon days of O’Herilihy, Giles, Dunphy, and Brady, and they still have Didi Hamann in the studio who is excellent as always, I think they made a fairly big mistake sending Daragh Moloney out to commentate (and he is apparently the lead commentator now, even though George Hamilton is still about), rather than have him anchor the coverage back home. The studio coverage was always RTE’s strength, but now it’s a pale imitation of BBC and ITV, so that’s where I’m watching this time around.