Pres Café
C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes (/showthread.php?tid=457)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - Brekkie - 09-06-2024

Spicks and Specks has just relaunched in Australia too - a format that might be worth the three of them trying here, though a bit too close to Buzzcocks perhaps.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - JMT1985 - 09-06-2024

(09-06-2024, 09:50 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Spicks and Specks has just relaunched in Australia too - a format that might be worth the three of them trying here, though a bit too close to Buzzcocks perhaps.

That show is so close the the Buzzcocks format, I doubt they would even try it here

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - gottago - 09-06-2024

(08-06-2024, 11:58 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  I have said this before, but I doubt Channel 4 will axe this show - it is there bread and butter show, which Have I Got News For You has become for the BBC - axe it, and what will they have left? Will they simply stick Joe Lycett on for 22 weeks of the year?

It is now a safe and reliable option for Channel 4 to keep - they simply need a kick up the arse in writing and production.

I'd say Bake Off, Gogglebox and Taskmaster are much more bread and butter in terms of income, ratings, repeatability and spin offs.

Last Leg rates ok but ultimately it's a complete once and done show that has no repeatability whatsoever and no way of using the studio build beyond one record a week. It's already been trimmed down due to cost savings so it's a show they're not afraid to publicly cost cut on. I don't think I've seen any news stories about cost cutting on the three shows above.

It's been some time since it generated much buzz; Late Night Lycett has arguably managed more press in two series than Last Leg has in years. To me it just appears in the schedules these days without any build up. I think it's very much on the way out to be honest.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - all new phil - 09-06-2024

Whenever I’ve caught The Last Leg, they tend to have Lorraine Kelly or David Tenant on saying how awful the Tories are. It’s hardly biting satire. It very rarely goes beyond its own bubble like HIGNFY does. Late Night Lycett is arguably guilty of the same.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - JMT1985 - 09-06-2024

(09-06-2024, 12:38 PM)all ne

w phil Wrote:  
Whenever I’ve caught The Last Leg, they tend to have Lorraine Kelly or David Tenant on saying how awful the Tories are. It’s hardly biting satire. It very rarely goes beyond its own bubble like HIGNFY does. Late Night Lycett is arguably guilty of the same.

As I have said, The Last Leg is to Channel 4 what HIGNFY is for the BBC - safe and reliable. I don't even think Channel 4 worry too much about it's cost. The point is that it is there - this takes me back to a line from Yes Prime Minister, and Sir Humphrey Appleby explaining to the Prime Minister why some things remain, when most people think they are redundant

The said it is is a bit like the Church of England, no one goes to church, but they feel happy that they know it is there - this is how Channel 4 treats Countdown and The Last Leg - better having them in the schedules, than not.

You may think this is a stupid position, but it is the truth, especially in the 2024 nature of linear television, where risks are rarely taken, and the safe option is always taken, as Channel 4 knows linear TV is dying, and they play it safe.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - cando - 09-06-2024

(09-06-2024, 12:38 PM)all new phil Wrote:  Whenever I’ve caught The Last Leg, they tend to have Lorraine Kelly or David Tenant on saying how awful the Tories are. It’s hardly biting satire. It very rarely goes beyond its own bubble like HIGNFY does. Late Night Lycett is arguably guilty of the same.

It's incredibly stale and utterly predictable. None of the hosts have anything fresh to say or challenge any guest.
Even Hislop on HIGNFY challenges guest hosts more. Hislop previously challenged Carol Vordermon on her advertising those dodgy "consolidated" loans targeted at the elderly. It's noticeable Lorraine Kelly hasn't turned up on it since her "actress tax case".

With the cuts C4 is facing , I think a live weekly show like that is an expensive luxury.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - tellyblues - 09-06-2024

And, sadly, out-of-touch execs will keep their jobs based on providing stability by recommissioning the same shows.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - gottago - 09-06-2024

(09-06-2024, 01:23 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  As I have said, The Last Leg is to Channel 4 what HIGNFY is for the BBC - safe and reliable. I don't even think Channel 4 worry too much about it's cost.
I think they do worry given they cut down the number of episodes to reduce costs.
(09-06-2024, 01:23 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  The said it is is a bit like the Church of England, no one goes to church, but they feel happy that they know it is there - this is how Channel 4 treats Countdown and The Last Leg - better having them in the schedules, than not.
Countdown remains because it's a significantly cheaper way of ticking off over 200 hours a year of their out of London quota.

The Last Leg will be gone the moment it stops making them profit.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - nwtv2003 - 09-06-2024

Richard Osman made the point excellently on The Rest is Entertainment when talking about Mock The Week’s axing, in that it’s expensive as they only record a single episode a week and has little repeat value and isn’t understood well outside of the UK given its topics are highly political. Where as something like Would I Lie To You? can be recorded in bulk, it can be repeated and can be sold internationally very well. Whilst HIGNFY remains a weekly recording, I think you could argue it’s a special case as it always rates excellently for BBC One and iPlayer.

I used to really enjoy The Last Leg but it’s very much lost its edge in the last few years. I’m amazed it’s lasted this long. It feels like an expensive programme given the guest list and the fact they use Television Centre. But if it still pays for Channel 4 then I’m sure they’ll keep it for as long as it remains profitable.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - Larry the Loafer - 09-06-2024

I wonder if one of the reasons HIGNFY still runs strong is that it may function in the same way that TV Burp and Gogglebox used to function for people who just wanted a summary of the week's TV in a 30/60 minute show. By which I mean, even if HIGNFY may not have the bite it once had, it still serves a purpose for people who want a summary of that week's events.