Pres Café
TV Social Media Pres Gold - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: TV Social Media Pres Gold (/showthread.php?tid=19)

RE: TV Social Media Pres Gold - Steve in Pudsey - 14-05-2024

I think it's right to say that Granada handled the networking of the daytime morning schedule, so the likes of Chain Letters, The Time the Place and the various ITN bulletins around and during This Morning would all be routed out to the network via Granada.

That made the 9.25 junction where Richard and Judy would preview This Morning, throw to Mike Scott and introduce Chain Letters much simpler for the rest of the network, it was one neat package rather than three separate circuits. (as an aside, I know it was a requirement at one time that the company networking a programme always had to have a circuit from ITN into them so they could switch any newsflash to air without any BT involvement.)

But from what has been said, would it be fair to say that Thames were still officially nominated contractor, although in reality things like timings of ad breaks were largely delegated to Granada's control and communicated to the other regions through cue dots (durations were pre-agreed and would not change but the precise time had some leeway). Thames would probably only get involved if there was a significant change of plan like ITN wanting to do a newsflash?

Much like when Central was handling Schools or CITV, officially Thames was nominated contractor but the reality was that most things were delegated to Central?

RE: TV Social Media Pres Gold - Spencer - 14-05-2024

A friend who used to do a bit of continuity at Border told me once how for a while the studio output from This Morning would still be fed to the network on the circuit from Granada while ad breaks were playing.

Apparently after Richard and Judy had ‘words’ one day, they started putting up a caption instead.

RE: TV Social Media Pres Gold - lookoutwales - 17-05-2024

Not the most remarkable clip - but a late night junction from BBC1 Scotland on this day in 1976, leading into a Scottish political programme (co-presented by a certain Mr A. Neil - with sig tune by the artist then known as Cat Stevens!)

IIRC, it was around this time that Pres in Glasgow were only covering junctions for local programming rather than full-time.

https://youtu.be/zYsHX7JZpSw?si=W30-RQSB0jhfohc_ 

RE: TV Social Media Pres Gold - Si-Co - 19-05-2024

(14-05-2024, 09:43 PM)Spencer Wrote:  A friend who used to do a bit of continuity at Border told me once how for a while the studio output from This Morning would still be fed to the network on the circuit from Granada while ad breaks were playing.

Apparently after Richard and Judy had ‘words’ one day, they started putting up a caption instead.

I remember being amused by a TM promo shown on Tyne Tees in the early-mid 90s (probably 1993 after the takeover by YTV and when anything that could go wrong did go wrong). It was probably about 10am, and after R&J trailed the programme, pres didn’t cut away and we saw Richard pick up a polystyrene cup from out of shot and put it back on the table in front of him, and a runner (literally) run up to Judy with some paperwork and Judy saying “Just leave it on the desk, please, Rhona/Rhoda”. It was a good 10-15 seconds before this faded out - probably a raw feed going out to network until Granada switched circuit for TTTP or whatever was following. It amused me, anyway!

Granada also had the facility to opt-out of TM locally whilst still feeding it to everyone else (probably no different to inserting their own ads whilst leaving the studio on the outgoing feed, as a Spencer mentions. The only time I saw them do this was in November 1992 when some bombs went off in Manchester* and much of the city centre was evacuated - they aired reports/updates from the Granada Newsroom a few times during TM, normally after ad-breaks and rejoining the programme late.

*This was a separate incident to the 1996 Manchester bombings, which happened on a Saturday - I’m not confusing the two events.

(13-05-2024, 02:54 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  And if you want to see how the TVS and Tyne Tees clips look side by side (there's not enough of the Granada one):
https://www.youtubemultiplier.com/66421b6c2a254-newsflash-itv-nov-85.php 

I wasn’t aware of that side-by-side facility on YouTube. It’s potentially very useful, but can you play both videos at the same time? When I click to play the second video, the first one stops - and vice versa.

RE: TV Social Media Pres Gold - Spencer - 19-05-2024

Does anyone know if it’s still commonplace for the output of live programmes to continue being fed to broadcasters during ad-breaks?

A friend who used to live in Dubai told me how Channel 4 Racing would continue showing the presenters ‘off air’ when the UK was in a break, which was broadcast locally.

And of course there was the notorious Ron Atkinson incident, which led to his resignation from ITV, when he was caught making a racist comment during a break, but broadcast in the Middle East. I wondered if this might have put an end to the practice.

RE: TV Social Media Pres Gold - Stooky Bill - 19-05-2024

(19-05-2024, 06:29 AM)Si-Co Wrote:  I remember being amused by a TM promo shown on Tyne Tees in the early-mid 90s (probably 1993 after the takeover by YTV and when anything that could go wrong did go wrong). It was probably about 10am, and after R&J trailed the programme, pres didn’t cut away and we saw Richard pick up a polystyrene cup from out of shot and put it back on the table in front of him, and a runner (literally) run up to Judy with some paperwork and Judy saying “Just leave it on the desk, please, Rhona/Rhoda”. It was a good 10-15 seconds before this faded out - probably a raw feed going out to network until Granada switched circuit for TTTP or whatever was following. It amused me, anyway!

Granada also had the facility to opt-out of TM locally whilst still feeding it to everyone else (probably no different to inserting their own ads whilst leaving the studio on the outgoing feed,

That's just basic networking in those days. What the ITV company sent down the line to the others and what came out of their TX suite to their viewers were two different things. As you say it's like them playing adverts, or how if it was a Thames programme the rest of the country didn't hear the Thames announcer over the credits

So if This Morning did something local it's just a case of Granada TX staying with the studio and everyone else doing their own thing
Quote:
I wasn’t aware of that side-by-side facility on YouTube. It’s potentially very useful, but can you play both videos at the same time? When I click to play the second video, the first one stops - and vice versa.
It's not on YouTube, it's a different site. Have you tried pressing the play button underneath the two videos?

RE: TV Social Media Pres Gold - Transmission - 19-05-2024

(19-05-2024, 08:37 AM)Spencer Wrote:  Does anyone know if it’s still commonplace for the output of live programmes to continue being fed to broadcasters during ad-breaks?

Yes, absolutely, it couldn't work any other way. Though what they'll do and what they'll put on their output will vary between productions. Some might want to do things like rehearse and run through what's happening after the break while others will just sit on their break bumper ready to go. Occasionally they might use the time to record bits for things like promos or e.g. in a football match the presenter might record a quick top and tail for the highlights show.

More often than not you'll find that if the presenters are just chatting away during the break, it'll be all quite anodyne until the moment it sounds like they're about to say something interesting, when someone will remember to cut their mics just in time.

RE: TV Social Media Pres Gold - Si-Co - 20-05-2024

(19-05-2024, 08:46 AM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  It's not on YouTube, it's a different site. Have you tried pressing the play button underneath the two videos?

Thanks. I have tried that, but one video just buffers while the other one plays. Possibly just an issue with the browser I’m using - I will try others.

As for embarrassing or controversial things on the feed during ad-breaks, I’m reminded of the Amber Sherlock incident from TCN9 Sydney which went viral after she berated a colleague over the colour of their top:

https://youtu.be/hDskJwiJw_4?si=tFwulFJEc2GS31Rd 
Credit: motboltz - YouTube

RE: TV Social Media Pres Gold - Worzel - 20-05-2024

Quite surprised this hasn't been posted here...

https://youtu.be/RNV0KiybwCE?si=Yi-gOLV856EUnCrN 

RE: TV Social Media Pres Gold - James2001 - 20-05-2024

Noticably opening with the titles from the 2000-2001 series- for some reason that series was made in 4:3 (presumably the studio wasn't equipped for 16:9 at that point), but for some reason went out cropped to 14:9- as you can see on that clip.