Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Lester - 26-08-2022

On Tuesday 6 September, the DCMS Committee will take evidence from Tim Davie, BBC director-general; Richard Sharp, BBC chair; and Leigh Tavaziva, BBC chief operating officer.

This session will be available to watch live, either in person or on parliamentlive.tv

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 26-08-2022

(26-08-2022, 01:19 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  But to address your point, it's a lot more about the news packages than the studio presentation. TV is not just radio with pictures, and producing packages as such can mean a compromised experience for both audiences.

You're comparing visualised radio reports with full television packages for network bulletins, where, granted, there is a significant difference in purpose. But when it comes to rolling news, a lot of the content is really not that dissimilar to radio with pictures. While they do also playout standard packages, a lot of for-NC content is a mixture of voiced-over footage, talking heads and template-derived graphics. While it isn't always straightforward to produce bi-modal content, I don't really accept that is inherently difficult or compromising.

But my recognition that it's not optimal is why I'm not suggesting they should visualise full news programmes like the Six O'Clock News. The PM programme mixes some reports, with in-studio content, analysis and interviews. The use of more visually-simplistic packages for one hour would, therefore, not be particularly burdensome or detrimental. And I feel that having an analytical programme in that slot would have benefits, as well as serving as a worthy successor to the News at Five.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that they should use visualised radio to plug all the gaps in the new channel, but I do think a limited use could have its purpose if done correctly. The Nicky Campbell show is an odd choice. I suspect they are going for something in the Victoria Derbyshire vibe, though it does feel a shame to waste the 09:00-11:00 slot given it's relative deadness on BBC World News. However, I think that the PM programme and Today in Parliament would be a good way of giving the new channel some extra UK content, as well as being the kinds of programme that the channel wouldn't otherwise be doing.

Also, apologies if I came off curt earlier, let's not fall out over this.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - m_in_m - 26-08-2022

(26-08-2022, 02:09 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(26-08-2022, 01:19 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  But to address your point, it's a lot more about the news packages than the studio presentation. TV is not just radio with pictures, and producing packages as such can mean a compromised experience for both audiences.

You're comparing visualised radio reports with full television packages for network bulletins, where, granted, there is a significant difference in purpose. But when it comes to rolling news, a lot of the content is really not that dissimilar to radio with pictures. While they do also playout standard packages, a lot of for-NC content is a mixture of voiced-over footage, talking heads and template-derived graphics. While it isn't always straightforward to produce bi-modal content, I don't really accept that is inherently difficult or compromising.

But my recognition that it's not optimal is why I'm not suggesting they should visualise full news programmes like the Six O'Clock News. The PM programme mixes some reports, with in-studio content, analysis and interviews. The use of more visually-simplistic packages for one hour would, therefore, not be particularly burdensome or detrimental. And I feel that having an analytical programme in that slot would have benefits, as well as serving as a worthy successor to the News at Five.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that they should use visualised radio to plug all the gaps in the new channel, but I do think a limited use could have its purpose if done correctly. The Nicky Campbell show is an odd choice. I suspect they are going for something in the Victoria Derbyshire vibe, though it does feel a shame to waste the 09:00-11:00 slot given it's relative deadness on BBC World News. However, I think that the PM programme and Today in Parliament would be a good way of giving the new channel some extra UK content, as well as being the kinds of programme that the channel wouldn't otherwise be doing.

Also, apologies if I came off curt earlier, let's not fall out over this.
Presumably visualising radio will require a change to radio workflows? Does the BBC broadcast the video of Radio 4 or Five Live in real-time at present or is it just available for use elsewhere after e.g. social media and BBC News?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Steve in Pudsey - 26-08-2022

There used to be a permanant live video stream of Five Live on the website, but that got dropped a while ago.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Moz - 26-08-2022

(26-08-2022, 09:24 AM)DTV Wrote:  if you can't watch the news because there's a radio mic there, that feels like a you problem.

Members of the public phoning a radio station to give their 'expert views' is NOT news - radio mic or no radio mic.

Burying your head in the sand and pretending everything's ok - that feels like you avoid problems!

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Newsroom - 26-08-2022

(26-08-2022, 06:27 PM)Moz Wrote:  
(26-08-2022, 09:24 AM)DTV Wrote:  if you can't watch the news because there's a radio mic there, that feels like a you problem.

Members of the public phoning a radio station to give their 'expert views' is NOT news - radio mic or no radio mic.

Burying your head in the sand and pretending everything's ok - that feels like you avoid problems!

Ummm, with all due respect Moz, DTV passed comment on 'if he was curt' and we've moved on, so without moderating - probably best you do too and we gt back on track. Diolch!

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Moz - 26-08-2022

(26-08-2022, 06:31 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  

Ummm, with all due respect Moz, DTV passed comment on 'if he was curt' and we've moved on, so without moderating - probably best you do too and we gt back on track. Diolch!

I was mainly commenting on how appropriate televising a radio phone in and calling it news was - and that's on track. You may have moved on, but I've only just read this and wanted to comment.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Newsroom - 26-08-2022

(26-08-2022, 06:40 PM)Moz Wrote:  
(26-08-2022, 06:31 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  

I was mainly commenting on how appropriate televising a radio phone in and calling it news was - and that's on track. You may have moved on, but I've only just read this and wanted to comment.

Taken on the chin as they say in Wales. Just keen to avoid another over zealous post from the mods on this forum. Jay's, you daren't lift a leg and there's a warning.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 26-08-2022

(26-08-2022, 06:40 PM)Moz Wrote:  
(26-08-2022, 06:27 PM)Moz Wrote:  Members of the public phoning a radio station to give their 'expert views' is NOT news - radio mic or no radio mic.

Except, of course, the conversation in hand was actually about the PM programme. And, as I have expressed numerous times, including today, I consider visualising Nicky Campbell to be an odd choice and it wouldn't be something I'd have chosen. At no point did I refer to a radio phone-in as news, because it obviously isn't.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Matrix - 27-08-2022

I suppose the aspect to Nicky Campbell is that it fits well with a BBC Two audience as well. Dare I say it, it has echoes of what was attempted with the VD programme.