Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Radio_man - 26-02-2023

(26-02-2023, 03:34 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  Shouldn't all of these old videos be posted in the News 24/News Channel memory thread?

As for special branded programs on the ''new'' channel, I'm surprised they are continuing with this, later in the year. Since the channel will be very basic, it would make sense to just have normal BBC News branded bulletins every hour. If they really want to have special programs, why not just continue with the current batch of World programs (Live, Impact, Global) since they all have nice looks and identities, and their presenters will continue in their slots. Coming up with new names, looks and brans sounds like too much work for this new, limited operation.
Where has it been said that the new channel will be "very basic" and a "limited operation"? (or is this just your opinion?)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - oscillon - 26-02-2023

(26-02-2023, 03:34 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  Shouldn't all of these old videos be posted in the News 24/News Channel memory thread?

As for special branded programs on the ''new'' channel, I'm surprised they are continuing with this, later in the year. Since the channel will be very basic, it would make sense to just have normal BBC News branded bulletins every hour. If they really want to have special programs, why not just continue with the current batch of World programs (Live, Impact, Global) since they all have nice looks and identities, and their presenters will continue in their slots. Coming up with new names, looks and brans sounds like too much work for this new, limited operation.
The World output of the new channel is still supposed to generate revenue, so it makes sense to maintain bespoke branding. I do not think it will be that basic and dull to reduce everything to generic titles, remember, it is the UK output that is being downsized to an opt-out, not the commercially successful World. I expect the latter to remain at the level where it is now.

As for the re-branding programs instead of continuing with the existing names - yes, to me it also seems strange, especially given that all World presenters will be main anchors on the new channel.

ADDED: But yes, specifically the month of March is expected to be exceptionally dull in terms of News branding. Studio E being used for daytime World bulletins and possible new home for 1 and weekend network bulletins are the only things that stand out. (We do not expect new graphics till April, do we?)

chris - chris - 26-02-2023

(26-02-2023, 03:47 PM)oscillon Wrote:  

The World output of the new channel is still supposed to generate revenue, so it makes sense to maintain bespoke branding. I do not think it will be that basic and dull to reduce everything to generic titles, remember, it is the UK output that is being downsized to an opt-out, not the commercially successful World. I expect the latter to remain at the level where it is now.

As for the re-branding programs instead of continuing with the existing names - yes, to me it also seems strange, especially given that all World presenters will be main anchors on the new channel.

The whole point of the branded programmes is to sell them. Perhaps that’s not been very successful for Impact, Global or Live, so a reboot is a good chance to create new brands.

RE: chris - Kojak - 26-02-2023

(26-02-2023, 03:53 PM)chris Wrote:  
(26-02-2023, 03:47 PM)oscillon Wrote:  The World output of the new channel is still supposed to generate revenue, so it makes sense to maintain bespoke branding. I do not think it will be that basic and dull to reduce everything to generic titles, remember, it is the UK output that is being downsized to an opt-out, not the commercially successful World. I expect the latter to remain at the level where it is now.

The whole point of the branded programmes is to sell them. Perhaps that’s not been very successful for Impact, Global or Live, so a reboot is a good chance to create new brands.
I’ve never quite got how that worked. Surely no channel is going to want to buy in the whole 3 hours or so of Impact or Global. Do they buy an hour and take that? Which channels take these programmes?

RE: chris - oscillon - 26-02-2023

(26-02-2023, 03:53 PM)chris Wrote:  The whole point of the branded programmes is to sell them. Perhaps that’s not been very successful for Impact, Global or Live, so a reboot is a good chance to create new brands.

May be it is the case with LIVE, which is relatively new as it substituted GMT, which was praised for its branding. But Global has been in the market for good 9 years, Impact - for a whooping 12 (took one year off for the pandemic). Moreover, these were the brands that made a return after that pandemic...

(26-02-2023, 03:59 PM)Kojak Wrote:  
(26-02-2023, 03:53 PM)chris Wrote:  The whole point of the branded programmes is to sell them. Perhaps that’s not been very successful for Impact, Global or Live, so a reboot is a good chance to create new brands.
I’ve never quite got how that worked. Surely no channel is going to want to buy in the whole 3 hours or so of Impact or Global. Do they buy an hour and take that? Which channels take these programmes?
"Sell" - not for the other channels, I think, but for the advertisers, who know that "this show with this name and presenter will be watched, so it is worth buying an ad during it". Show with a dull generic "BBC News" title can not achieve that effect. For viewers this is a case as well - branded shows make better appointment-to-view thing.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Jimbo2022 - 26-02-2023

It is relevant at present for the nostalgia thank you

Btw what date did BBC World begin? I think that was a demerger of BBC TV Europe into World and prime

The old BBC TV Europe became BBC Prime and BBC world launched separately. I did see that but cannot remember when it was.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - JAS84 - 26-02-2023

BBC Prime and BBC World launched in 1995. They replaced BBC World Service Television which had used a modified form of BBC1's old COW ident.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Kojak - 26-02-2023

Do we know if the five-note World motif is going to be kept in the countdowns for the new channel? It has more than two decades of history on World, so it would be a shame to see it go.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 26-02-2023

(26-02-2023, 08:29 AM)LDN Wrote:  
(26-02-2023, 12:14 AM)DTV Wrote:  Outside Source is a great name for a news programme
*record scratch*

Got to stop you right there. Outside Source is a terrible, terrible name for a news programme. It means absolutely nothing to 99% of those who watch it.
Apologies LDN, you're absolutely right. TV programmes should never be named for innocuous insider phrases that the average viewer will not be particularly familiar with. 

Rather than go for something with a slight bit of thought behind it, everything should just be given the blandest name possible lest anybody be accused of cleverness.

Should we call this programme GMT? No, what if the viewer doesn't get the reference to the fact it's a programme broadcast from London at noon-GMT. On the Record? Line of Duty? The West Wing? This is all just jargon that is utterly meaingless to the average viewer, it would be a mistake to name a programme after it.

Everything would be so much better if we just stuck to utterly descriptive names - because that's what branding is - it doesn't matter if the name is catchy or stands out; what matters is that the viewer has a full etymological understanding of where the name comes from. This is why it would be better if all live programmes were simply just '<time of broadcast> Live'.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Stuart - 26-02-2023

(26-02-2023, 04:06 PM)Jimbo2022 Wrote:  It is relevant at present for the nostalgia thank you.
I do hope this doesn't just turn into a 'funeral wake' thread prior to the launch of the combined channel.  In retrospect N24/NC had a good run for 20+ years.

They did an excellent job, but if your income is vastly reduced, then for your evening dinner you have to swap sirloin steak for a handful of chicken nuggets.

It's very sad, but the professionals within the organisation will continue to provide a service, and we shouldn't forget that.