Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Transmission - 27-02-2023

(27-02-2023, 02:24 AM)chrisherald Wrote:  Forgive if it's been covered (I did hastily search), will the worldwide feed still have regional variants (North America/Europe/Asia Pacific/etc), and still from Red Bee? 

Yes, that isn't changing, it's essentially getting an additional region.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ALV - 27-02-2023

(27-02-2023, 12:43 AM)oscillon Wrote:  
(27-02-2023, 12:33 AM)Radio_man Wrote:  Will BBC World News also lose its branding from 6 March, just to be known as BBC News from this date? Or will that happen from 3 April?

I guess the on-screen BBC World News branding could still stay for another month, but presenters will only be able to name check BBC WN on air when the UK opts out for Breakfast and the 1, 6 & 10.
Not so sure that it will stay: BBC website still does not have any schedules for "BBC World News" starting from 6 March.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/schedules/p00fzl9j/2023/03/06?utcoffset=%2B03%3A00 
For "BBC News" or other channels like BBC One or Two, however, schedules for 6 March are already there for some time.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/schedules/p00fzl6n/2023/03/06 
Might be something, might be nothing.
The text schedule for the distributors still lists Live, Impact and Global on March 6th... I assume the scheduling decisions are made in the last minute and they need time to revamp the schedule...

https://www.bbcworldnews.com/Pages/SchedulesFrame.aspx 

[Image: 7acfe946e9991bcaf496022099d8d5f8.png]

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Stuart - 27-02-2023

(27-02-2023, 12:33 AM)Radio_man Wrote:  
(23-02-2023, 11:52 PM)bbctvtechop Wrote:  The output will be fully joined from March 6th with a full launch date of April 3rd. During this transition period, there will be no planned facility for breaking UK news.
Will BBC World News also lose its branding from 6 March, just to be known as BBC News from this date? Or will that happen from 3 April?
The on-screen branding may well change, but even now many of the Presenters still refer to it as just 'BBC World', just as the domestic channel talent kept saying 'BBC News 24' for many years after the change of name.

I suspect the same will happen on the new combined channel for some time.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - LDN - 27-02-2023

(26-02-2023, 06:13 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(26-02-2023, 08:29 AM)LDN Wrote:  *record scratch*

Got to stop you right there. Outside Source is a terrible, terrible name for a news programme. It means absolutely nothing to 99% of those who watch it.
Apologies LDN, you're absolutely right. TV programmes should never be named for innocuous insider phrases that the average viewer will not be particularly familiar with. 

Rather than go for something with a slight bit of thought behind it, everything should just be given the blandest name possible lest anybody be accused of cleverness.

Should we call this programme GMT? No, what if the viewer doesn't get the reference to the fact it's a programme broadcast from London at noon-GMT. On the Record? Line of Duty? The West Wing? This is all just jargon that is utterly meaingless to the average viewer, it would be a mistake to name a programme after it.

Everything would be so much better if we just stuck to utterly descriptive names - because that's what branding is - it doesn't matter if the name is catchy or stands out; what matters is that the viewer has a full etymological understanding of where the name comes from. This is why it would be better if all live programmes were simply just '<time of broadcast> Live'.

*sigh*

It's never a good sign when someone comes back at you with an apology, telling you that "you're absolutely right", before wilfully misrepresenting the points you were trying to make. It's not just eye-rollingly tedious; it also says a lot about that person's emotional intelligence, and their capacity to engage in rational discussion. 

As another member quite rightly pointed out, it's plainly nonsense to claim that "GMT", "on the record", "line of duty", and "the West Wing" are "all just jargon that is utterly meaningless to the average viewer". All of these phrases are either part of everyday language, or part of the wider zeitgeist, in a way that "outside source" so very, very, VERY obviously isn't. So.... what was your point again? 

By the way, that same member also described your response above as a "strop", and that's exactly how your reaction comes across: an embarrassing, rambling, adolescent strop. 

I'm embarrassed for youTongue Big Grin

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 27-02-2023

(27-02-2023, 09:19 AM)LDN Wrote:  As another member quite rightly pointed out, it's plainly nonsense to claim that "GMT", "on the record", "line of duty", and "the West Wing" are "all just jargon that is utterly meaningless to the average viewer". All of these phrases are either part of everyday language, or part of the wider zeitgeist, in a way that "outside source" so very, very, VERY obviously isn't. So.... what was your point again?
My point was that it doesn't really matter where the phrase comes from, the point of a name is to be memorable and to stand out and that I feel that Outside Source does that better than something like Afternoon Live. Does it matter that the average viewer doesn't get the ins and outs of the phrase, not really - it's just a piece of branding, it's really not that deep. As with many elements of branding, I really don't think that the average viewer thinks about it in depth. I was merely expressing a preference that, if you're going to have 'named' programmes, I would rather a bit of thought went into the name - that's just a matter of personal taste that, very clearly, I'm in the minority on.

Leaving your condescending grandstanding aside, I would also counter that the phrases other TV shows have been named after were part of the zeitgeist at the time of their use. You know that The West Wing is the home to the offices of the Presidency now, but significantly fewer people will have known that before the programme started. On the Record is a piece of journalistic jargon that is hardly in everyday usage. But does that particularly matter, no - they're just short phrases that have been borrowed by TV producers because a programme needs a name. Quite honestly, I wish I'd never brought the subject up and now feel we are detracting from the overall purpose of the thread.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - TheJarv - 27-02-2023

Interesting thread about todays coverage

https://twitter.com/robertrea/status/1630090730268946435?cxt=HHwWhsCzlb64n58tAAAA 

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Former Member 406 - 27-02-2023

(26-02-2023, 11:24 AM)Radio_man Wrote:  The name 'Outside Source' has been even less relevant over the last 3 years, since the original concept for the program of the presenter in front of the touch screen, bringing up the "Outside Source" reports, has become redundant. The program really does need a new name now, since it's just become a fixed camera program from the balcony, or just from the studio most of the time.
I couldn't agree more.

But this is the same Auntie Beeb that stuck with various "100 Days"-derived names for a programme that ran* for many times longer than the 100-day period originally intended. (*or arguably stills runs, having evolved into "(The) Context").

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - cam - 27-02-2023

BBC News and World News launch new temporary schedule

Source: rxtvinfo

https://rxtvinfo.com/2023/bbc-news-and-world-news-launch-new-temporary-schedule/ 

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ALV - 27-02-2023

The revised WN schedule just got released, the text schedule for distribution partners haven't been updated yet:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/schedules/p00fzl9j/2023/03/06 

A few points to note:

- The daytime bulletins from 0900-1830 are labeled "BBC News". The overnight/early morning bulletins from 0200-0830 are labeled "BBC World News". Does that imply "BBC World News" is going to be rebranded as "BBC News" or they're still going to use separate brand names in the transition period? Who knows...

- All editions of Sport Today are not carried on the UK feed, but are instead replaced by domestic news (and recorded programmes in overnight). Vice versa, Sportsday at 1830 is not carried on the core channel.

- The BOTH 5-minute programmes (Click, The Travel Show, Witness History) are also not carried by the UK feed, but instead replaced by domestic news.

- Asia Business Report is still on the core channel but the UK feed continues to not carry it in overnights, instead replacing it with RECORDED PROGRAMMES AGAIN UGH

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - oscillon - 27-02-2023

(27-02-2023, 05:48 PM)ALV Wrote:  The revised WN schedule just got released, the text schedule for distribution partners haven't been updated yet:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/schedules/p00fzl9j/2023/03/06 
Ah, it was more of a technical delay than a decision to merge schedules into "BBC News" brand, at least for now...

(27-02-2023, 05:48 PM)ALV Wrote:  - The daytime bulletins from 0900-1830 are labeled "BBC News". The overnight/early morning bulletins from 0300-0830 are labeled "BBC World News". Does that imply "BBC World News" is going to be rebranded as "BBC News" or they're still going to use separate brand names in the transition period? Who knows...
The brand is present on the ticker and in the left angle corner (red square thing) during intros. If I'm not mistaken, currently even during 10am joint hour WN has "BBC World News" in the red square, so I don't expect it to start to alter.

(27-02-2023, 05:48 PM)ALV Wrote:  - All editions of Sport Today are not carried on the UK feed, but are instead replaced by domestic news (and recorded programmes in overnight) instead. Vice versa, Sportsday at 1830 is not carried on the core channel.
This was expected, due to broadcast & distribution rights.

(27-02-2023, 05:48 PM)ALV Wrote:  - Asia Business Report continues on the core channel but the UK feed continues to not carry it in overnights, instead replacing it with RECORDED PROGRAMMES AGAIN UGH
Oh, that's a shame. That is the only program coming from Singapore where the presenter stands! I understand that their way of thought is that the show is of little relevance to the UK audience, but come on, not even one bulletin?