Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Radio_man - 27-02-2023

(27-02-2023, 05:48 PM)ALV Wrote:  The revised WN schedule just got released, the text schedule for distribution partners haven't been updated yet:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/schedules/p00fzl9j/2023/03/06 

A few points to note:

- The daytime bulletins from 0900-1830 are labeled "BBC News". The overnight/early morning bulletins from 0300-0830 are labeled "BBC World News". Does that imply "BBC World News" is going to be rebranded as "BBC News" or they're still going to use separate brand names in the transition period? Who knows...
Even now, the 0200, 0300, 0400 and 0500 bulletins are displayed as 'BBC World News' on listings, but in reality are referred to by the presenter as 'BBC News' bulletins (albeit produced by the World team), as they are joint simulcast bulletins. So we can't read anything into that regarding how the international channel will be branded from 6 March.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 27-02-2023

(27-02-2023, 06:00 PM)oscillon Wrote:  
(27-02-2023, 05:48 PM)ALV Wrote:  - Asia Business Report continues on the core channel but the UK feed continues to not carry it in overnights, instead replacing it with RECORDED PROGRAMMES AGAIN UGH
Oh, that's a shame. That is the only program coming from Singapore where the presenter stands! I understand that their way of thought is that the show is of little relevance to the UK audience, but come on, not even one bulletin?
Asia Business Report has a very odd history - began in 2000/01, but wasn't even shown on all BBC World regions until 2008, then very quickly became a central piece of the 'overnight' schedule. BBC News showed a few editions from 2012-15, before switching to one edition a day, but this was removed at the start of the pandemic. It's an odd decision as there surely aren't many viewers seeking out the nth repeat of one of the pre-records on rotation, but possibly a few viewers in the City on Asia desk.

It's good to know that WBR will be staying on the channel, though, at least for now. Given some of the stuff they said when they launched Worklife, I did worry that they might be looking to phase it out. Will be good for domestic viewers to get some daytime business updates again.

(27-02-2023, 06:16 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  Even now, the 0200, 0300, 0400 and 0500 bulletins are displayed as 'BBC World News' on listings, but in reality are referred to by the presenter as 'BBC News' bulletins (albeit produced by the World team), as they are joint simulcast bulletins. So we can't read anything into that regarding how the international channel will be branded from 6 March.
Good to know that the overnight bulletins are officially World-produced these days. It was always weird how long they kept up the charade of them being 'officially' produced by the News channel, despite the fact they were always very obviously structured as per World bulletins, editorially leaned heavily to international news and major scheduling decisions (such as the launch of World News Today in 2007) were being made by BBC World.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Kojak - 27-02-2023

(27-02-2023, 06:16 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  
(27-02-2023, 05:48 PM)ALV Wrote:  The revised WN schedule just got released, the text schedule for distribution partners haven't been updated yet:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/schedules/p00fzl9j/2023/03/06 

A few points to note:

- The daytime bulletins from 0900-1830 are labeled "BBC News". The overnight/early morning bulletins from 0300-0830 are labeled "BBC World News". Does that imply "BBC World News" is going to be rebranded as "BBC News" or they're still going to use separate brand names in the transition period? Who knows...
Even now, the 0200, 0300, 0400 and 0500 bulletins are displayed as 'BBC World News' on listings, but in reality are referred to by the presenter as 'BBC News' bulletins (albeit produced by the World team), as they are joint simulcast bulletins. So we can't read anything into that regarding how the international channel will be branded from 6 March.
Exactly, it's almost certainly nothing. Though I was under the impression that the new joint channel will ultimately be named 'BBC News' in all territories?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Radio_man - 27-02-2023

(27-02-2023, 06:20 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(27-02-2023, 06:16 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  Even now, the 0200, 0300, 0400 and 0500 bulletins are displayed as 'BBC World News' on listings, but in reality are referred to by the presenter as 'BBC News' bulletins (albeit produced by the World team), as they are joint simulcast bulletins. So we can't read anything into that regarding how the international channel will be branded from 6 March.
Good to know that the overnight bulletins are officially World-produced these days. It was always weird how long they kept up the charade of them being 'officially' produced by the News channel, despite the fact they were always very obviously structured as per World bulletins, editorially leaned heavily to international news and major scheduling decisions (such as the launch of World News Today in 2007) were being made by BBC World.
I don't know this for a fact - it just seems pretty obvious. The NC team wouldn't come in just to produce 3 hours of overnight content would they? And the practice of getting UK reports in the overnight World breaks was dropped a long time ago - UK viewers now just get WN ad-fillers during the overnight breaks.

If nothing else, I’m glad someone at the Beeb has seen sense and ditched the ridiculous idea of simulcasting Nicky Campbell’s 5 Live show. I could well be speaking prematurely - I hope not - but it would be good if wiser heads have prevailed on that one.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Roger Darthwell - 27-02-2023

(27-02-2023, 06:34 PM)Kojak Wrote:  If nothing else, I’m glad someone at the Beeb has seen sense and ditched the ridiculous idea of simulcasting Nicky Campbell’s 5 Live show. I could well be speaking prematurely - I hope not - but it would be good if wiser heads have prevailed on that one.

RXTVinfo has said that later on in the year Nicky Campbell's show is still going to be simulcasted on BBC News and BBC Two

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ALV - 27-02-2023

(27-02-2023, 06:23 PM)Kojak Wrote:  
Exactly, it's almost certainly nothing. Though I was under the impression that the new joint channel will ultimately be named 'BBC News' in all territories?

I think eventually on April 3rd, the core channel and the UK feed will be rebranded under the universal name "BBC News". However, there's still no actual news on the brand names arrangements during the transitional period from March 6th... 

My assumption is that they're still going to use separate names ("BBC News" on the UK feed, "BBC World News" on the core channel), with separate DOGs/flippers during the transition period... As of currently I still haven't seen any signs of BBC World News Distributions providing guidance like new logos and channel names to its partners and cable providers. They're probably going to carry out the rebrand exercise during the transition period. 

The distribution partners page (https://www.bbcwwpartners.com/worldnews/home/# ) still has resources dated back in the Gill Sans era...

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 27-02-2023

(27-02-2023, 06:41 PM)ALV Wrote:  I think eventually on April 3rd, the core channel and the UK feed will be rebranded under the universal name "BBC News". However, there's still no actual news on the brand names arrangements during the transitional period from March 6th... 

My assumption is that they're still going to use separate names ("BBC News" on the UK feed, "BBC World News" on the core channel), with separate DOGs/flippers during the transition period... As of currently I still haven't seen any signs of BBC World News Distributions providing guidance like new logos and channel names to its partners and cable providers. They're probably going to carry out the rebrand exercise during the transition period.
This would be my assumption too.

It'll be interesting to see how effective they are at rolling out the branding among their distribution partners - some of the PBS carriers were running 2008-era countdowns (including without the BBC logo) into BBC World News simulcasts long into the NBH-era.

(27-02-2023, 06:35 PM)Roger Darthwell Wrote:  
(27-02-2023, 06:34 PM)Kojak Wrote:  If nothing else, I’m glad someone at the Beeb has seen sense and ditched the ridiculous idea of simulcasting Nicky Campbell’s 5 Live show. I could well be speaking prematurely - I hope not - but it would be good if wiser heads have prevailed on that one.

RXTVinfo has said that later on in the year Nicky Campbell's show is still going to be simulcasted on BBC News and BBC Two

Thanks, Roger - must have missed that in the article. Fantastic news(!)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Worzel - 27-02-2023

(27-02-2023, 06:41 PM)ALV Wrote:  
(27-02-2023, 06:23 PM)Kojak Wrote:  Exactly, it's almost certainly nothing. Though I was under the impression that the new joint channel will ultimately be named 'BBC News' in all territories?
As of currently I still haven't seen any signs of BBC World News Distributions providing guidance like new logos and channel names to its partners and cable providers. They're probably going to carry out the rebrand exercise during the transition period. 

The distribution partners page (https://www.bbcwwpartners.com/worldnews/home/# ) still has resources dated back in the Gill Sans era...
They did send an email out to distributors asking them to update the name, logos etc on 3 February.

This was when the 3 April re-launch date was mentioned alongside the 'new presentational elements' line.

The email also included the new (basic) brand guidelines for the channel.