Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ALV - 27-02-2023

(27-02-2023, 07:27 PM)Worzel Wrote:  
(27-02-2023, 06:41 PM)ALV Wrote:  As of currently I still haven't seen any signs of BBC World News Distributions providing guidance like new logos and channel names to its partners and cable providers. They're probably going to carry out the rebrand exercise during the transition period. 

The distribution partners page (https://www.bbcwwpartners.com/worldnews/home/# ) still has resources dated back in the Gill Sans era...
They did send an email out to distributors asking them to update the name, logos etc on 3 February.

This was when the 3 April re-launch date was mentioned alongside the 'new presentational elements' line.

The email also included the new (basic)  brand guidelines for the channel.

If at all possible can you reveal (or describe) a bit on the new logo they've sent out to distributors? Is it still the red boxed BBC News logo or it's something more Chameleon styled like this?
[Image: 68959fddb8c99d7a72008658283a0fff.png]

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - interestednovice - 27-02-2023

At exactly 6:30pm, the BBC News Channel crashed out of the BBC News at Six mid-report and appeared to switch to BBC World News which was taking Rishi Sunak’s speech to Parliament live. The clue was that the Global branding briefly appeared on the flipper, before being faded off in favour of the red Breaking News graphics.

Quite poor to not even hand over with a sting or something of that nature.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Transmission - 27-02-2023

(27-02-2023, 07:43 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  At exactly 6:30pm, the BBC News Channel crashed out of the BBC News at Six mid-report and appeared to switch to BBC World News which was taking Rishi Sunak’s speech to Parliament live. The clue was that the Global branding briefly appeared on the flipper, before being faded off in favour of the red Breaking News graphics.

I think the question at present for that scenario is where the sting would come from, neither the News at Six or the World News programme would be able to do anything without interrupting their ongoing output so it would require a third gallery to pass through, as the News Channel operates by switching between galleries - it doesn't have it's own presentation suite to play anything else in.

This type of thing, at least, will be solved by the upcoming changes.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - chrisherald - 27-02-2023

Regarding a sting and unique outputs, perhaps it would be good if more output (paths) was driven by Viz Engines (or other complex software like is used for the virtual studios) instead of traditional switchers and routing. Didn't outside source work that way at one point (most show elements coming from the engine instead of switcher workflows)?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ALV - 27-02-2023

(27-02-2023, 08:09 PM)Transmission Wrote:  
(27-02-2023, 07:43 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  At exactly 6:30pm, the BBC News Channel crashed out of the BBC News at Six mid-report and appeared to switch to BBC World News which was taking Rishi Sunak’s speech to Parliament live. The clue was that the Global branding briefly appeared on the flipper, before being faded off in favour of the red Breaking News graphics.

I think the question at present for that scenario is where the sting would come from, neither the News at Six or the World News programme would be able to do anything without interrupting their ongoing output so it would require a third gallery to pass through, as the News Channel operates by switching between galleries - it doesn't have it's own presentation suite to play anything else in.

This type of thing, at least, will be solved by the upcoming changes.

Actually, I think the current infrastructure allows a sting to be played without a third studio.

A video I captured of WN opting out of Sunday with LK recently showed that Studio B has the capability of fading out the audio AND inserting a sting into one of the TX line out to WN Pres WHILE the main programme continues on the BBC One/NC TX line...

https://youtu.be/X5k7yUgLwNw?t=25 

I think a similar mechanism can be adopted in this scenario... However this requires precise timing coordination in between Studio B and C's directors. Studio C's director needs to ask the presenter to pause, wait for Studio B's director insert the sting and switch NC's feed, verify their gallery TX is active on the NC, then cue the presenter... I'm not sure if this workflow can be carried out smoothly during breaking news scenarios...

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - interestednovice - 27-02-2023

(27-02-2023, 08:52 PM)chrisherald Wrote:  Regarding a sting and unique outputs, perhaps it would be good if more output (paths) was driven by Viz Engines (or other complex software like is used for the virtual studios) instead of traditional switchers and routing. Didn't outside source work that way at one point (most show elements coming from the engine instead of switcher workflows)?

I believe the thing with Outside Source was that the dynamic elements of the touchscreen were at least partly driven by the Viz engines.

My personal understanding was that stings could be introduced, in a similar manner to the separate lower thirds being generated by one gallery, as there has been some flexibility in this sort of thing ever since the move to NBH. I think it has sometimes been used when BBC World News plays a sting to opt-out of a simulcast BBC News Channel-led hour?

However, I don’t fully understand the technicalities of it as I’m not a BBC insider myself - and, as has rightly been pointed out, the feasibility of complex switching in a breaking news situation may be too difficult.

It’s just a basic observation, really, that from the perspective of the viewer it is a bit alarming to “jump” feeds. I hope they will find a way to make U.K.-opts on the new feed more seamless.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - chrisherald - 27-02-2023

I meant once Outside Source ditched the touchscreen, thought most output then was driven by Viz, basically one camera and Viz (or perhaps whatever I had read was just highlighting more so that Outside Source was just making stronger use of graphics and animation than other shows and not really innovating at the technical signal flow level). With the right automation, complex switching can be done even in fast moving environments (I would assume).

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - poppydog - 27-02-2023

I've thought about what is happening regarding the early "merger" next week and think I've got an idea of what may be happening. (Speculation of course, and not wanting to enter too much into rota chat!)

Would it be the case that combining both channels into E from next week means that C can be used for piloting and testing for the month? As both channels would, I presume, be funded until the new financial year in April - that means the existing budget for two gallery and production teams until then - meaning that additional staff aren't needed to produce and run the pilots? Could it be that those presenters (Matthew, Karin, Yalda etc.) who have been given the Chief Presenter roles, may not feature much in the next month until launch, or appear on air sporadically, as they pilot new ways of working (new headline-less sequences etc.)? And during March the output is fronted by and produced by some of the staff who may end up leaving. 

Then come April, if there are new countdowns, top-of-the-hour sequences etc. they are ready and piloted to run with the existing set-up in C. Then E, if it happens, can be re-vamped for relaunching later in the year when new strands/brands of programmes may be launched?

Of course, all speculation, but may explain the "early" soft launch of the combined service due to budgets and the ability to pilot whilst keeping the legacy services running.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - oscillon - 27-02-2023

However, NC still had its own name on its lower third along Global branding, not "BBC World News" that they crashed into. Or is this substitution done automatically, without additional gallery?
[Image: image.png]
Also, why could not the opt-out from the Six be done in the same way as from LK? Or is the latter on the News Channel done by the World News gallery as well?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - TheJarv - 27-02-2023

(27-02-2023, 10:38 PM)poppydog Wrote:  I've thought about what is happening regarding the early "merger" next week and think I've got an idea of what may be happening. (Speculation of course, and not wanting to enter too much into rota chat!)
Would it be the case that combining both channels into E from next week means that C can be used for piloting and testing for the month? As both channels would, I presume, be funded until the new financial year in April - that means the existing budget for two gallery and production teams until then - meaning that additional staff aren't needed to produce and run the pilots? Could it be that those presenters (Matthew, Karin, Yalda etc.) who have been given the Chief Presenter roles, may not feature much in the next month until launch, or appear on air sporadically, as they pilot new ways of working (new headline-less sequences etc.)? And during March the output is fronted by and produced by some of the staff who may end up leaving. 
Then come April, if there are new countdowns, top-of-the-hour sequences etc. they are ready and piloted to run with the existing set-up in C. Then E, if it happens, can be re-vamped for relaunching later in the year when new strands/brands of programmes may be launched?
Of course, all speculation, but may explain the "early" soft launch of the combined service due to budgets and the ability to pilot whilst keeping the legacy services running.
Funny, I had the same thought