Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - interestednovice - 27-02-2023

(27-02-2023, 10:43 PM)oscillon Wrote:  
(27-02-2023, 07:43 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  At exactly 6:30pm, the BBC News Channel crashed out of the BBC News at Six mid-report and appeared to switch to BBC World News which was taking Rishi Sunak’s speech to Parliament live. The clue was that the Global branding briefly appeared on the flipper, before being faded off in favour of the red Breaking News graphics.

Quite poor to not even hand over with a sting or something of that nature.

However, NC still had its own name on its lower third along Global branding, not "BBC World News" that they crashed into. Or is this substitution done automatically, without additional gallery?
[Image: image.png]
Also, why could not the opt-out from the Six be done in the same way as from LK? Or is the latter on the News Channel done by the World News gallery as well?

I think the point is that opting-out of LK was easier because it was on air continuously from Studio B, using B’s gallery, but no other output was on air from the News Channel - it was also broadcasting from B’s gallery, with the separate lower thirds treatment.

Coming up to the opt-out point, the feed for the NC and WN would have been switched to Studio E or C’s gallery (depending on which was used) and a soft-opt conducted where the gallery could bring up the feed from Studio B’s output, pick a point to “fade out” to the filler and then take over the broadcast with unique content from the second gallery.

In this case, B’s gallery was broadcasting the News at Six and BBC World News (in C’s gallery) was already rolling with the breaking news. There was therefore no “free gallery” able to be staffed-up for a proper soft-opt switch out. In theory, A could have done it but it would have required extra staff.

The BBC News or BBC World News branding substitution is done automatically by Viz - it’s how programmes which are simulcast can easily show the “correct” brand to both audiences. The substitution can even cover things like BBC News vs BBC World News logos in the titles, too.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - all new phil - 27-02-2023

Of course the best and neatest way to avoid crashes like this is for the news channel to not take the network bulletins at all.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Steve in Pudsey - 27-02-2023

(27-02-2023, 08:59 PM)ALV Wrote:  
(27-02-2023, 08:09 PM)Transmission Wrote:  I think the question at present for that scenario is where the sting would come from, neither the News at Six or the World News programme would be able to do anything without interrupting their ongoing output so it would require a third gallery to pass through, as the News Channel operates by switching between galleries - it doesn't have it's own presentation suite to play anything else in.

This type of thing, at least, will be solved by the upcoming changes.

Actually, I think the current infrastructure allows a sting to be played without a third studio.

A video I captured of WN opting out of Sunday with LK recently showed that Studio B has the capability of fading out the audio AND inserting a sting into one of the TX line out to WN Pres WHILE the main programme continues on the BBC One/NC TX line...

https://youtu.be/X5k7yUgLwNw?t=25 

I'm not so sure.

Studio C picks up Studio B output as an outside source. Plays sting and weather to World News.
World pres pick up off the back of the weather with trails and World countdown
Studio C cuts back to Studio B and switches News Channel to C output
Studio C plays the "continues on BBC One" announcement and the News Channel countdown

Although I'm sure the same technique that was used to do the 8pm summary playing weather to network/HD and the London opt from the same studio could be used as a pre-planned thing.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - oscillon - 28-02-2023

https://twitter.com/murrell_richard/status/1630171028600102913 
Here is not only a nice bit of backstage, but also a hint that branding might not change so dramatically in terms of names - "last time of directing “Live with Lucy” in current style".

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ginnyfan - 28-02-2023

I thought we had a dedicated BBC World thread here but seems like we don't so I might as well post here. It feels strange watching World this week. With News Channel, we know it's definitely the last week of the channel as we know it and this Friday will be very special. Sad

But with World, it's sort of a mixed bag. Confused The main presenters are staying, but the current branded blocks are going and this is definitely their last week. The WORLD name will be gone, maybe on Monday, maybe in a month. This is actually the biggest change that we haven't talked about that much. The name, the brand that existed since 1991, in one form or another, will now be gone for good. I mean, most of us haven't even accepted the BBC World/BBC World News change yet. Big Grin

Anyway, nice to have Tanya Beckett presenting Global this week. Somehow I thought she left BBC, she's been off screen for a couple of years, but made a welcome return few months ago. Is this her final week as well? So many questions....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqZeqtDD2E8 

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - chrisherald - 28-02-2023

Re: the loss of BBC World (and the stages of grief/accepting the reality), that, a tragedy itself. To most folks, it's all just "the BBC," so the substance of the thing comes down to the underlying economics, corporate governance/regulatory-influence, and output editorial policy (and what staff and technical arrangements those things allow for). I reckon we've been right to mostly focus on the visible substance of the change (staff, technical implementation, domestic/international slant, etc, with just a bit of fuss over the branding). This is a presentation/continuity forum after all but there's no escaping what's lost here, and I'm glad the conversation and community here is supportive to the wide scope of this remarkable watershed moment. Yes the brands (and presenters) as we know them, and have loved and hated them through many changes for years, they're lost, something new emerges, but ultimately it's about what institutional capacity (cultural, technical, etc) is left to destroy and how it unfolds over the coming years. It's not a new fight, this, but a very new chapter.

To be clear, when the new channel format launches on the 6th, or even in April, this is still day one of a very new phase of the BBC's struggle to survive (or rather, exist in a worthwhile way). I don't even care as much that "we've lost reasonable capacity for UK domestic coverage outside of the bulletins," or of the brand and commercial impacts, or even the layoffs as a separate matter.

I lament the continued destruction of what was once the world's leading public service broadcaster, at a editorial and technical standards level, and the failure of the UK public (and gov) to recognize what they once had in the BBC (in it's people, it's buildings, it's values driven editorial stance, and the confluence of surrounding forces that spark innovation and deliver value, and speak truth to the world), a shining global beacon, a voice of reason at home and abroad (simultaneously a tool for soft power, a lifeline for those in unfortunate circumstance). Today, already, Al Jazeera has the cleanest global output, and Sky picks up the domestic market, other PSBs across Europe and the world do their jobs (and well!), but the BBC's fading beacon in news and current affairs slips further, the beast as a whole, less fierce, less nimble, the richness lost. Yet more poverty in England.

In this time when changes are needed for so many broadcasters, the BBC will be forcibly transformed by economic realities and hostile government influence (financial not editorial) into the most unnecessary of things to all people, all cherished capacity lost, all funding misallocated as the coffers run dry, and what is funded is done so in a way that it dies off quietly. No, I think we're all sad here. These islands get smaller. I see adverts for internships at the BBC, and I think, now, in dying days (not a new thing, mind you), who would want to get into broadcast, never mind how important it is that stories get told, voices heard, as the world goes dark and everyone is deafened. This isn't a news channel (whether it's "two streams" or not), it's people, voices and stories, lost. It takes courage to speak truth to power. And we don't get that back.

EDIT: Paragraphs added at the suggestion of @Moz

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Moz - 28-02-2023

(28-02-2023, 09:56 PM)chrisherald Wrote:  Re: the loss of BBC World (and the stages of grief/accepting the reality), that, a tragedy itself. To most folks, it's all just "the BBC," so the substance of the thing comes down to the underlying economics, corporate governance/regulatory-influence, and output editorial policy (and what staff and technical arrangements those things allow for). I reckon we've been right to mostly focus on the visible substance of the change (staff, technical implementation, domestic/international slant, etc, with just a bit of fuss over the branding). This is a presentation/continuity forum after all but there's no escaping what's lost here, and I'm glad the conversation and community here is supportive to the wide scope of this remarkable watershed moment. Yes the brands (and presenters) as we know them, and have loved and hated them through many changes for years, they're lost, something new emerges, but ultimately it's about what institutional capacity (cultural, technical, etc) is left to destroy and how it unfolds over the coming years. It's not a new fight, this, but a very new chapter. To be clear, when the new channel format launches on the 6th, or even in April, this is still day one of a very new phase of the BBC's struggle to survive (or rather, exist in a worthwhile way). I don't even care as much that "we've lost reasonable capacity for UK domestic coverage outside of the bulletins," or of the brand and commercial impacts, or even the layoffs as a separate matter. I lament the continued destruction of what was once the world's leading public service broadcaster, at a editorial and technical standards level, and the failure of the UK public (and gov) to recognize what they once had in the BBC (in it's people, it's buildings, it's values driven editorial stance, and the confluence of surrounding forces that spark innovation and deliver value, and speak truth to the world), a shining global beacon, a voice of reason at home and abroad (simultaneously a tool for soft power, a lifeline for those in unfortunate circumstance). Today, already, Al Jazeera has the cleanest global output, and Sky picks up the domestic market, other PSBs across Europe and the world do their jobs (and well!), but the BBC's fading beacon in news and current affairs slips further, the beast as a whole, less fierce, less nimble, the richness lost. Yet more poverty in England. In this time when changes are needed for so many broadcasters, the BBC will be forcibly transformed by economic realities and hostile government influence (financial not editorial) into the most unnecessary of things to all people, all cherished capacity lost, all funding misallocated as the coffers run dry, and what is funded is done so in a way that it dies off quietly. No, I think we're all sad here. These islands get smaller. I see adverts for internships at the BBC, and I think, now, in dying days (not a new thing, mind you), who would want to get into broadcast, never mind how important it is that stories get told, voices heard, as the world goes dark and everyone is deafened. This isn't a news channel (whether it's "two streams" or not), it's people, voices and stories, lost. It takes courage to speak truth to power. And we don't get that back.

Impossible to read in one single paragraph sorry.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Jimbo2022 - 28-02-2023

Well said. I actually like BBC world. It will be a shame to see it go as such, but it is that that is in reality carrying on. It's the UK who have lost their unique version and it has eroded away over the last few years, more so since last Christmas

It is sad but it seems the BBC can now only afford one news channel. That may seem harsh for some, but to be fair, if you watched news 24 in its get day and bbc1 domestic news bulletins - yes we have some international news - but that is the operative word - SOME.

In my opinion we do not get enough international news on domestic outlets. There is too much UK focussed news on the main bulletins anyway.

Given BBC worldwide as it was once called makes money from international audience and is more beneficial than domestic broadcasts as this is funded by licence fee. So it makes sense to keep BBC world as such to cater for the highest possible viewership.

When BBC world us separated from our domestic version sometimes you get stories on World that never appear on UK domestic news bulletins. As a result you actually know what is going on further afield than in your own back yard.

You could not close BBC World and give international audiences a UK centric news channel so it has to be the other way round. Sad though it may seem that is the reality it would seem. At least the BBC is still providing news. If they had more money yes they could probably carry two separate broadcasts but that is seemingly not possible at the moment.

Let's hope they can bring it all back to normal when resources permit. When that is is unfortunately anyone's guess.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ginnyfan - 28-02-2023

James Reynolds is in Washington doing WNA tonight. Would be nice to have him as one of the new permanent presenters over there.

[Image: vlcsnap-00002.jpg]

[Image: vlcsnap-00014.jpg]

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - chrisherald - 01-03-2023

(28-02-2023, 11:20 PM)Moz Wrote:  
(28-02-2023, 09:56 PM)chrisherald Wrote:  Re: the loss of BBC World (and the stages of grief/accepting the reality), ...............

Impossible to read in one single paragraph sorry.

It's okay, you're allowed to copy-paste and add spaces to suit your reading style. Public domain. Smile (and to be fair, I could have made it three paragraphs, but that's about the limit for me. This is all one big connected issue to me, and a deeply values driven one at that. If you want to insert paragraphs at the start of, "To be clear" and at the start of "I lament" that would work in my view) EDIT: Okay I added more paragraphs for you, managed four. Look what happens with a little bit of positive nudging!