Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Rolling News - 01-03-2023

(28-02-2023, 08:44 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  I thought we had a dedicated BBC World thread here but seems like we don't so I might as well post here. It feels strange watching World this week. With News Channel, we know it's definitely the last week of the channel as we know it and this Friday will be very special. Sad

But with World, it's sort of a mixed bag. Confused The main presenters are staying, but the current branded blocks are going and this is definitely their last week. The WORLD name will be gone, maybe on Monday, maybe in a month. This is actually the biggest change that we haven't talked about that much. The name, the brand that existed since 1991, in one form or another, will now be gone for good. I mean, most of us haven't even accepted the BBC World/BBC World News change yet. Big Grin

Anyway, nice to have Tanya Beckett presenting Global this week. Somehow I thought she left BBC, she's been off screen for a couple of years, but made a welcome return few months ago. Is this her final week as well? So many questions....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqZeqtDD2E8 
Ben Thompson is doing Global today. His first (and most probably last) time I believe.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Newsroom - 01-03-2023

(01-03-2023, 05:04 PM)Rolling News Wrote:  
(28-02-2023, 08:44 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  I thought we had a dedicated BBC World thread here but seems like we don't so I might as well post here. It feels strange watching World this week. With News Channel, we know it's definitely the last week of the channel as we know it and this Friday will be very special. Sad

But with World, it's sort of a mixed bag. Confused The main presenters are staying, but the current branded blocks are going and this is definitely their last week. The WORLD name will be gone, maybe on Monday, maybe in a month. This is actually the biggest change that we haven't talked about that much. The name, the brand that existed since 1991, in one form or another, will now be gone for good. I mean, most of us haven't even accepted the BBC World/BBC World News change yet. Big Grin

Anyway, nice to have Tanya Beckett presenting Global this week. Somehow I thought she left BBC, she's been off screen for a couple of years, but made a welcome return few months ago. Is this her final week as well? So many questions....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqZeqtDD2E8 
Ben Thompson is doing Global today. His first (and most probably last) time I believe.

He did Outside Source again yesterday from C.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ginnyfan - 01-03-2023

Still no news on the presenter/reporters who got the job. This might turn out to be a harder decision than choosing the main presenters.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Moz - 01-03-2023

Police statement from Sussex Police about the missing baby any minute.

How would BBC News cover this next week!?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ALV - 01-03-2023

Despite the NC's evening shift got demolished months ago, they managed to cover breaking news in the evenings tonight to a certain extent:

Christian Fraser is standing by in Studio E tonight. He popped up straight after News at Six to tell the viewers they're expecting a press conference from the Sussex Police, then handed over to Sportsday 3 mins later:
[Image: 611632c59cb4cb98ca24835240fabbd3.png]

Is this an indication of how breaking news will be handled in the UK feed in the future? Who knows...

(01-03-2023, 07:37 PM)ALV Wrote:  Despite the NC's evening shift got demolished months ago, they managed to cover breaking news in the evenings tonight to a certain extent:

Christian Fraser is standing by in Studio E tonight. He popped up to tell the viewers they're expecting a press conference from the Sussex Police, then handed over to Sportsday 3 mins later:

Is this an indication of how breaking news will be handled in the UK feed in the future? Who knows...

Did this go out on World?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ALV - 01-03-2023

(01-03-2023, 07:39 PM)Moz Wrote:  
(01-03-2023, 07:37 PM)ALV Wrote:  Despite the NC's evening shift got demolished months ago, they managed to cover breaking news in the evenings tonight to a certain extent:

Christian Fraser is standing by in Studio E tonight. He popped up to tell the viewers they're expecting a press conference from the Sussex Police, then handed over to Sportsday 3 mins later:

Did this go out on World?

No, World is in HARDtalk.

Handled perfectly. Even broke into the weather with a breaking news sting and didn’t miss a second of the news conference.

Christian Fraser has stayed on air on the News Channel, but then handed over to Outside Source which was in full flow. Perfectly acceptable in my view. So long as this sort of coverage continues, I’ll be happy.

Sky News just stayed on the police podium for 30 minutes going over and over the same story which was worthless. BBC News managed to squeeze in Newsday.

Newshound47 - Newshound47 - 01-03-2023

(01-03-2023, 07:37 PM)Moz Wrote:  Police statement from Sussex Police about the missing baby any minute.

How would BBC News cover this next week!?

Could a press conference be aired in the UK without needing anything but an off screen voice to introduce it.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Chud - 01-03-2023

Christian Fraser is standing by in Studio E tonight. He popped up straight after News at Six to tell the viewers they're expecting a press conference from the Sussex Police, then handed over to Sportsday 3 mins later:

I was surprised to see Christian as he’s not on air until 9pm. The breaking news was handled really well I thought. Let’s hope that continues.