Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 02-03-2023

(02-03-2023, 11:27 AM)Radio_man Wrote:  Aren't both World & the NC operating as normal until Friday 3/3 at 7pm?
So Live and Global air for the last time today (Thurs 2/3) and Impact airs for the last time tomorrow (Friday 3/3)
I always forget BBC World News' weird inconsistency with Friday scheduling. Somewhat oddly, Impact Asia was originally the only one of the strands launched in Feb 2010 that didn't air in any form on a Friday - Frontline with Lyse Doucet was supposed to air instead, but never made it to broadcast.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Newsroom - 02-03-2023

(02-03-2023, 11:42 AM)DTV Wrote:  
(02-03-2023, 11:27 AM)Radio_man Wrote:  Aren't both World & the NC operating as normal until Friday 3/3 at 7pm?
So Live and Global air for the last time today (Thurs 2/3) and Impact airs for the last time tomorrow (Friday 3/3)
I always forget BBC World News' weird inconsistency with Friday scheduling. Somewhat oddly, Impact Asia was originally the only one of the strands launched in Feb 2010 that didn't air in any form on a Friday - Frontline with Lyse Doucet was supposed to air instead, but never made it to broadcast.

I believe it's only IMPACT that will air tomorrow (Friday) Stephen Sackur tends to do Fridays too sans tie! ;-)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - matthieu1221 - 02-03-2023

(02-03-2023, 03:20 AM)oscillon Wrote:  
(01-03-2023, 08:47 AM)chrisherald Wrote:  I do wish the Singapore hours would be revamped into something more worthwhile
The key question that bugs me about Newsday is - what makes Singapore output look at times so unsure of itself and somewhat clumsy?
Is it the slightly outdated studio? The always-sitting format of the bulletin? Both of them can be found in regional newscasts.
For some reason I do not have that feeling with another overseas program, World News America - it has this fast-paced, self-confident feeling that evades Newsday.
May be it is the slow connection between the studio in Singapore and the gallery in London that results sometimes in these awkward pauses with the presenter silently looking right into the camera for a good couple of seconds?

I haven't watched much since they relaunched but the co-anchoring aspect (even if the co-anchor was all the way back in London), plus more variety in presentation has made it less dynamic than before. Also Rico Hizon was something to like forward to at the bottom of the hour Big Grin

BBC World News Partners website has been updated to include schedules for April and early May.

[list]
[*]Pretty much all day listed as BBC News.
[*]11:30 and 14:30 World Business Reports moved to xx:45.
[*]Focus on Africa, BBC World News America and Newsday remain, 'evening' brands not mentioned. (As Focus isn't being shown in UK, I assume that they'll be able to do a UK-focussed half-hour at 17:30).
[*]World not taking any other back-half programmes during shared hours.
[*]No Sport programming is listed, except one edition of Sport Today at 23:45. (Early press releases did suggest Sport Today would be replaced with new Sports programming, I assume until then we will get joint Sport updates during BBC News at xx:30).
[*]Weekends are listed as all 30 minute bulletins, rather than mix of 10, 15 and 30 minute bulletins at present. (Though this might just be a function of 'feature' programmes being TBA).
[/list]

Of course, the veracity of the partners' website in long-term schedules has always been somewhat patchy, but this is what they say for the minute.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ALV - 02-03-2023

No mention from Lucy Hockings on the final edition of LWLH. Just a subtle, soft "bye bye" bringing the programme to a close for the last time...

I'm gonna miss the graphics and the theme... *tears up*

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Alessi - 02-03-2023

(01-03-2023, 08:28 PM)chrisherald Wrote:  Only thing I worry about is how much space/airtime there will be to add depth/context to evolving stories. If you have to interrupt the weather and later rejoin other programs already in progress, how jumbled up is the output going to get? Are we just going to get little pieces of every story but never anything more? I mean what do we lose from the programs we re-join?

You could certainly introduce a press conference with just a voice off screen, but then you're relying on that press conference to actually be giving audiences the full story and not relying on your presenter to ultimately contextualize/fact check the news. Not all subject matter speaks the truth for itself to the audience so you do sometimes need room for presenters to provide depth.

I did like the breaking news sting. Would they rerun the weather report in full later? That's the kind of  segment where it probably really irritates some of the domestic audience to interrupt.

Fully agree with this. I know they were extraordinary times, but if you think of all of the very complex breaking British political/Covid news in recent years, context is often very much required.

(02-03-2023, 01:37 PM)DTV Wrote:  BBC World News Partners website has been updated to include schedules for April and early May.
Just a quick attempt to visualise the pre-merger, interim and purported post-merger schedules.

[Image: WorldScheduleMerger.png]
One thing that does make me think twice about the finality of the post-merger schedule is that Focus on Africa shouldn't be on at 17:30 in April. Historically it has always shifted (to 18:30 UKT) once the clocks change to ensure that it remains at the same time in Africa all year round (only one African country uses DST). Though, of course, Asia-oriented programming also used to timeshift for the same reason, but they stopped doing that in 2016 - maybe they've stopped doing that with Focus too, though isn't it tied up in other rebroadcasting contracts?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Jimbo2022 - 02-03-2023

Schedules not available. Please can you provide a link for a date in April to work from? Thank you

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Newsroom - 02-03-2023

(02-03-2023, 04:27 PM)Jimbo2022 Wrote:  Schedules not available. Please can you provide a link for a date in April to work from? Thank you

Works perfectly fine here.

Select timezone and dates.

https://www.bbcwwpartners.com/worldnews/schedules/ 

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Jimbo2022 - 02-03-2023

Only shows today. Nothing else

This works

https://www.bbcworldnews.com/Pages/SchedulesFrame.aspx