Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - oscillon - 02-03-2023

(02-03-2023, 11:43 PM)ViridianFan Wrote:  I thought E was being mothballed after the transition period or has that changed now?

It's not clear until next financial year comes, if I understand it correctly. At the start of the new channel it will be out of use for some good amount of time. After all, Studio B had also been "mothballed" initially in 2020, but then...

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - XIII - 03-03-2023

(02-03-2023, 09:14 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  I don't envy the management's task in choosing the remaining presenter-reporters for the channel. The majority of the presenters who are left are all worthy of places on the channel - as well as the established names (like Martine Croxall, Anita McVeigh, Shaun Lay, Karin Giannone, Sally Bundock) there's also younger talent that should be given a chance as well (Rich Preston, Lewis Vaughan Jones, Ben Boulos, Ben Thompson to name a few)

It's not an easy choice on who to keep and who to let go.

Ben Thompson and Ben Boulos featured heavily on BBC Breakfast so I imagine they'd remain.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ViridianFan - 03-03-2023

(02-03-2023, 11:57 PM)oscillon Wrote:  
(02-03-2023, 11:43 PM)ViridianFan Wrote:  I thought E was being mothballed after the transition period or has that changed now?

It's not clear until next financial year comes, if I understand it correctly. At the start of the new channel it will be out of use for some good amount of time. After all, Studio B had also been "mothballed" initially in 2020, but then...

I keep forgetting B was “mothballed”. It would be a massive shame to loose E. Although it does look so sad seeing the newsroom with so many monitors off. When you think back to 2013 and every station seemed to have someone sat at them. It just shows how deep these cuts have gone.

harshy - harshy - 03-03-2023

(03-03-2023, 08:28 AM)ViridianFan Wrote:  
(02-03-2023, 11:57 PM)oscillon Wrote:  It's not clear until next financial year comes, if I understand it correctly. At the start of the new channel it will be out of use for some good amount of time. After all, Studio B had also been "mothballed" initially in 2020, but then...

I keep forgetting B was “mothballed”. It would be a massive shame to loose E. Although it does look so sad seeing the newsroom with so many monitors off. When you think back to 2013 and every station seemed to have someone sat at them. It just shows how deep these cuts have gone.
Was that a combination of the pandemic, remote working and cuts?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - chris - 03-03-2023

Yes I’m sure a lot of it is due to remote working.

But there are plenty of other parts of the BBC that could move into that space to fill it up. I suspect that would require Studio E to be off air for a while.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Radio_man - 03-03-2023

I guess people could be encouraged to sit at those monitors that are immediately behind the presenter in E so the newsroom doesn't look so empty.
This is this morning's 10am opening headlines shot - it could be Sunday at midnight, not 10am on a weekday morning.
So if the newsroom is going to be only 1/3 used going forward, maybe it is best that a new studio in C is built for the new channel. Yes, the backdrop onto the newsroom in E is a great view, but do they want a view of an almost empty newsroom for their flagship news channel?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ginnyfan - 03-03-2023

Well, they can just rearrange the seating plans and move some people over there. The newsroom is so vast, it goes beyon what we see on screen.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 03-03-2023

(03-03-2023, 11:24 AM)ginnyfan Wrote:  Well, they can just rearrange the seating plans and move some people over there. The newsroom is so vast, it goes beyon what we see on screen.
Yep, I expect that any set construction period would also be used as an opportunity to reconfigure the newsroom and sort out the issues with/replace the hoop. Even with remote/flexible working, I doubt that there are so few staff in the newsroom that a more dynamic arrangement could not be figured out.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - TheJarv - 03-03-2023

Today is a great example of what would happen on the new merged channel. Partygate and Sue Gray not really a world issue but a big story for us in the UK

harshy - harshy - 03-03-2023

(03-03-2023, 01:23 PM)TheJarv Wrote:  Today is a great example of what would happen on the new merged channel.  Partygate and Sue Gray not really a world issue but a big story for us in the UK

Yeah effectively the weekend service is now across the weekdays for the next month at least, it’s how it is I’m afraid at least in the UK we can switch over to Sky News, which my family have already been doing tbh during Breakfast.