Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - interestednovice - 03-03-2023

They should do, because the loyal viewer really “deserves” to know, but they probably won’t as they are continuing to set out a narrative to Ofcom that the channel is not closing - which we know is just not true.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Frances - 03-03-2023

(03-03-2023, 04:57 PM)House Wrote:  Hello everyone, been away since TVLF shut down but missed the discussion and glad I’ve found this again.

Been reading back through the last few weeks’ of this thread and wondered if anyone has clarified whether or not the presenter/reporter roles are the same as the ‘stand by’ team who will be on hand for breaking domestic stories? Unless the plan is for business and political correspondents to also present at weekends, I haven’t quite figured out why they need new ‘correspondents’ specifically for the new news channel, when surely the bulk of contributions will be from the BBC’s existing reporter base?

Do we also have any insight into the production workings of the ‘visualised’ Nicky Campbell output will be? Are we expecting it to look like current radio output does on social media (awkwardly placed cameras, presenters speaking into radio mics etc.) or something closer to the TalkTV/ News Agents approach?

Finally, are the BBC One bulletins which are currently produced by the NC (the One and weekends) getting their own fully dedicated crews and production teams now? If so, I wonder if they might have any role to play in breaking news opts - in a similar way to the Network team would have to make it to air in the event of major daytime breaking news in the pre-NC era?

Thanks Smile
I don’t know if the plan of visualising Nicky Campbell is still running but currently it’s not included in the schedule - also the planned simulcast of Newsnight.

And the BBC News at One has been produced by the Six & Ten team since 2021. But I’m wondering which team works on lunchtime bulletins on weekends.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ALV - 03-03-2023

(03-03-2023, 06:24 PM)Frances Wrote:  
(03-03-2023, 04:57 PM)House Wrote:  Hello everyone, been away since TVLF shut down but missed the discussion and glad I’ve found this again.

Been reading back through the last few weeks’ of this thread and wondered if anyone has clarified whether or not the presenter/reporter roles are the same as the ‘stand by’ team who will be on hand for breaking domestic stories? Unless the plan is for business and political correspondents to also present at weekends, I haven’t quite figured out why they need new ‘correspondents’ specifically for the new news channel, when surely the bulk of contributions will be from the BBC’s existing reporter base?

Do we also have any insight into the production workings of the ‘visualised’ Nicky Campbell output will be? Are we expecting it to look like current radio output does on social media (awkwardly placed cameras, presenters speaking into radio mics etc.) or something closer to the TalkTV/ News Agents approach?

Finally, are the BBC One bulletins which are currently produced by the NC (the One and weekends) getting their own fully dedicated crews and production teams now? If so, I wonder if they might have any role to play in breaking news opts - in a similar way to the Network team would have to make it to air in the event of major daytime breaking news in the pre-NC era?

Thanks Smile
I don’t know if the plan of visualising Nicky Campbell is still running but currently it’s not included in the schedule - also the planned simulcast of Newsnight.

And the BBC News at One has been produced by the Six & Ten team since 2021. But I’m wondering which team works on lunchtime bulletins on weekends.
Currently, it's usually the morning shift team who handle the lunchtime bulletins. The team finishes at 12:30PM in Studio C on NC/WN and then moves to Studio E for BBC One at 1PM.

Sometimes if the bulletin is scheduled at 12PM, the afternoon shift team will handle it. They'll be in Studio E for BBC One at 12PM, and then do the NC/WN shift in Studio C at 1PM.

I expect the arrangement will continue, at least during the transition period.

Probably during the transition period, yes.

Longer term, I imagine the “UK opt standby team” that is there in the daytime will produce it (with the overall editorial responsibility still being shared with the 6 and 10 editor).

The studio used will eventually then be either B, or if they want to use a smaller, more basic studio (possibly at weekends) we may see Studio D used. Studio D is likely to be the backup studio, with Studio B used generally.

There hasn’t been any announcement from the BBC, but then why would they announce fairly hum-drum studio changes that are basically only of interest to anoraks such as us or internal staff?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Josh - 03-03-2023

Straight into the weather, no major goodbye.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Rolling News - 03-03-2023

No surprise to no on air mention. Just ending the hour the same as any other hour.

They could have done something subtle, like used one of the old countdowns into the 5pm hour or something.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Newsroom - 03-03-2023

(03-03-2023, 06:58 PM)Rolling News Wrote:  No surprise to no on air mention. Just ending the hour the same as any other hour.
Bonkers when you think a long serving presenter - Joanna Gosling was given the sign off she deserved, as was Simon McCoy. 

Oh well, this is the BBC we've got now.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Kojak - 03-03-2023

At least we got treated to a 68 second countdown at the end. Maybe their very very subtle way of saying goodbye.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ALV - 03-03-2023

(03-03-2023, 06:58 PM)Rolling News Wrote:  No surprise to no on air mention. Just ending the hour the same as any other hour.

They could have done something subtle, like used one of the old countdowns into the 5pm hour or something.

I know I'm taking it wayyy out of context but the quote in the last package's before the end of the final domestic bulletin kinda teared me up:

"And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make. I have loved being here with you. Thanks so much, and may we meet again somewhere"

I was not sobbing because of Ken Bruce, I was tearing thinking this as of the super super subtle way of the NC saying goodbye to viewers...

Goodbye BBC News Channel. May we meet again somewhere

The BBC News Channel - More Than Just the Headlines
[Image: 9390b1ef701006bd225a4b0f7e6a954e.png]

Yes, I remember when it was the anniversary of the BBC News 24 launch and they made a big thing of it on that day’s BBC News at Five. Although I did wonder if that might have at least partly been driven by Huw, as he seemed very much to be enjoying it!

There was a relatively-long countdown into the BBC News at Six just now after the weather (about 65 seconds) which was nice, and could possibly be one of the last times we see it if they are going to be scrapping that shortly.

Edit: I see it’s already been noticed by other posters, I was too slow on the keyboard there!