Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Plutobug - 03-03-2023

And just like that it was over. How sad.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - bakamann - 03-03-2023

I wonder, if the likes of NBC Nightly News, CBS Evening News or 60 Minutes gets to be distributed for overseas broadcast, why not BBC's UK national newscasts?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Newsroom - 03-03-2023

Crikey, does anyone remember the farewell BBC THREE was given before it went off air?

It's quite astonishing that a channel that won applause, was consumed by millions and spawned an endless ream of talent among so many other accolades was not afforded a decent goodbye.

The BBC spent enough airtime celebrating the channels milestones.

Abysmal actually.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - interestednovice - 03-03-2023

(03-03-2023, 07:01 PM)ALV Wrote:  
(03-03-2023, 06:58 PM)Rolling News Wrote:  No surprise to no on air mention. Just ending the hour the same as any other hour.

They could have done something subtle, like used one of the old countdowns into the 5pm hour or something.

I know I'm taking it wayyy out of context but the quote in the last package's before the end of the final domestic bulletin kinda teared me up:

"And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make. I have loved being here with you. Thanks so much, and may we meet again somewhere"

I was not sobbing because of Ken Bruce, I was tearing thinking this as of the super super subtle way of the NC saying goodbye to viewers...
The exact same package was used earlier in the day, so I think that’s probably a coincidence.

However, I do like to think that the proper full countdown after the weather was deliberate and a signal to viewers. After all, it would have been the last thing played out by the Studio E gallery on the “UK-exclusive non-simulcast feed” before they switched to B for the News at Six (simulcast obviously).

So it was, in a way, the literal final moments of the channel.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ViridianFan - 03-03-2023

(03-03-2023, 07:02 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  Yes, I remember when it was the anniversary of the BBC News 24 launch and they made a big thing of it on that day’s BBC News at Five. Although I did wonder if that might have at least partly been driven by Huw, as he seemed very much to be enjoying it!

There was a relatively-long countdown into the BBC News at Six just now after the weather (about 65 seconds) which was nice, and could possibly be one of the last times we see it if they are going to be scrapping that shortly.

Edit: I see it’s already been noticed by other posters, I was too slow on the keyboard there!
Are they getting rid of the countdown or is it getting the chameleon treatment.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Kojak - 03-03-2023

(03-03-2023, 07:04 PM)bakamann Wrote:  I wonder, if the likes of NBC Nightly News, CBS Evening News or 60 Minutes gets to be distributed for overseas broadcast, why not BBC's UK national newscasts?

SBS in Australia takes the Six.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - interestednovice - 03-03-2023

(03-03-2023, 07:06 PM)ViridianFan Wrote:  
(03-03-2023, 07:02 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  Yes, I remember when it was the anniversary of the BBC News 24 launch and they made a big thing of it on that day’s BBC News at Five. Although I did wonder if that might have at least partly been driven by Huw, as he seemed very much to be enjoying it!

There was a relatively-long countdown into the BBC News at Six just now after the weather (about 65 seconds) which was nice, and could possibly be one of the last times we see it if they are going to be scrapping that shortly.

Edit: I see it’s already been noticed by other posters, I was too slow on the keyboard there!

It’s being altered to have a Chameleon look, which has been posted further back in the thread as a mock (which insiders have said is very similar to how the real thing appears).

I imagine it’s a cross between BBC Breakfast’s opening sting and the current countdown, just with the Chameleon treatment. If that makes sense?

It probably won’t appear until after the interim arrangements end, but we may well be getting the World countdowns or the “blank countdown” filler during that time. Even if we don’t, it’s only a month until the full new arrangements kick in and long countdowns don’t air often.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 03-03-2023

(03-03-2023, 07:04 PM)bakamann Wrote:  I wonder, if the likes of NBC Nightly News, CBS Evening News or 60 Minutes gets to be distributed for overseas broadcast, why not BBC's UK national newscasts?
Various reasons, such as there is not the same market for UK news internationally as there is for US news and it doesn't really make sense for BBC World News to waste airtime on a disproportionately UK news based bulletin when they are able to produce one of greater relevance to international audiences.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - bakamann - 03-03-2023

(03-03-2023, 07:06 PM)ViridianFan Wrote:  

It was answered a while back...
(25-02-2023, 10:19 PM)bbctvtechop Wrote:  
(25-02-2023, 06:35 PM)ALV Wrote:  Nooooo way.... NOOOOOOO.... Basically it's exactly what this mock countdown depicts AHHHH:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdYegg7LMrI 
It's almost as if the mock maker had some inside knowledge... incredible likeness. 

In my opinion, it looks okay... but it kinda gives me a BBC World 2004 vibes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZQwMh57UUM 

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Frances - 03-03-2023

Actually they’re distributed to foreign broadcasters. And national bulletins, especially the Ten, usually provide more in-depth international stories and analysis than those programmes on World. But we all know that World has to air World News America at the time the Ten goes on air…

Quite hope the new channel can make a world focused programme like BBC Four News/The World. There are so many flagship programmes after but none of them are well crafted and analytical as these two.

(03-03-2023, 07:07 PM)Kojak Wrote:  

SBS in Australia takes the Six.
SBS also shows the Ten, including the Sunday edition.