Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Kojak - 03-03-2023

ITV’s bulletins have also been shown abroad in the past. The Evening News was shown in America for a while, as can be seen here:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Bi9N7PjW_Us 

And I believe a Finnish channel (Nelonen?) took the Lunchtime and News at Ten bulletins briefly around 2012.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - chrisherald - 03-03-2023

(03-03-2023, 04:57 PM)House Wrote:  Hello everyone, been away since TVLF shut down but missed the discussion and glad I’ve found this again.

Been reading back through the last few weeks’ of this thread and wondered if anyone has clarified whether or not the presenter/reporter roles are the same as the ‘stand by’ team who will be on hand for breaking domestic stories? Unless the plan is for business and political correspondents to also present at weekends, I haven’t quite figured out why they need new ‘correspondents’ specifically for the new news channel, when surely the bulk of contributions will be from the BBC’s existing reporter base?

Do we also have any insight into the production workings of the ‘visualised’ Nicky Campbell output will be? Are we expecting it to look like current radio output does on social media (awkwardly placed cameras, presenters speaking into radio mics etc.) or something closer to the TalkTV/ News Agents approach?

Finally, are the BBC One bulletins which are currently produced by the NC (the One and weekends) getting their own fully dedicated crews and production teams now? If so, I wonder if they might have any role to play in breaking news opts - in a similar way to the Network team would have to make it to air in the event of major daytime breaking news in the pre-NC era?

Thanks Smile
While I have no insider knowledge, as I said earlier in the thread, about "why create new job roles/re-audition people," well it's to do with downsizing/pay cuts/layoffs:

I thought those new roles were just a way to keep some people at cheaper rates, a technicality/process to evolve the jobs. Sometimes you have to "close" something (a role/position) to "open" something else (another job role with different pay specs), when it all amounts to parts of the same thing, with a new label on the tin at a different rate. Kenny Everett voice: We're not closing the news channel, we're closing two channels (!), to have one new channel, with two streams (and four wizards!), that sort of nonsense. It's a party trick, a slight of hand, a misdirection. But I'm guessing, someone else will know more.

Its also easier to make dramatic staff and resource changes by "closing" the whole lot of something than to migrate small matters in a workplace/corporate-politically feasible way; giving a voice to those with a stake in the matter, answering questions, having real conversations along the way, nah that's too much to ask. Less questions overall when you "close" it. Hey, look, you've got a "new" role, this is exciting. Two streams! Zero channels! Whatever. If you fire people (voluntary redundancy), it's difficult to talk about what you're "creating." So we have to "create" "new" job roles to counterbalance the depth of truth in the press releases and Ofcom/etc hearings. While it is true these new roles will technically have different job descriptions and pay, different codes in various HR systems, it's mostly a political technicality.

(25-02-2023, 11:51 AM)chris Wrote:  I was thinking more about the no headlines - I wonder if the countdown will do more, providing the latest headlines in text for separate streams.

This would be good - shame it won't happen. If they did do that, I think I'd like to see a return to a more graphical countdown, like so:

https://youtu.be/Md6GxV4kZDY?t=15 

Obviously you'd replace the schedule with the headlines in text... you get the idea. (Whilst they're at it, can we have that exact countdown back pretty please?)

Or if they must continue with footage of their reporters, do it like they did in 2004:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PkL0jqvfuo 

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - chrisherald - 03-03-2023

I'd like if the countdowns had schedules on them again. (but they'd be wrong all the time now)

(03-03-2023, 07:09 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  Even if we don’t, it’s only a month until the full new arrangements kick in and long countdowns don’t air often.

You say that, but I wonder if we in the UK might start to see a few more long countdowns on the newly merged channel? I'm sure there will be LOTS of points where our feed has nothing to show whilst World has adverts?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - seamus - 03-03-2023

I suppose this is the first mention of “BBC News” for the merged service, though it’s basically the same simulcast phrasing of “viewers in the UK and around the world.”

The World feed is still using BBC World News logo in titles and onscreen graphics like a typical simulcast.

Running order of stories is noticeably different as a World viewer - they’re leading with a Boris Johnson inquiry, while until the previous hour World was leading with Alex Murdaugh’s sentencing and Bahkmut.

Edit: As the bulletin goes on this seems waaaaaay more like World was merged into News, rather than News merging into World (though I understand the named programs are more weighed towards World)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Jimbo2022 - 03-03-2023

I recorded the final hour at least. No mention of the changes next week.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ginnyfan - 03-03-2023

A totally unknown presenter, at least to me, is heading this first hour of the eternal simulcast that just started.

[Image: vlcsnap-00003.jpg]

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - interestednovice - 03-03-2023

(03-03-2023, 07:58 PM)Kojak Wrote:  
(03-03-2023, 07:09 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  Even if we don’t, it’s only a month until the full new arrangements kick in and long countdowns don’t air often.

You say that, but I wonder if we in the UK might start to see a few more long countdowns on the newly merged channel? I'm sure there will be LOTS of points where our feed has nothing to show whilst World has adverts?
Well, yes, but we have already seen the “template” for such hours as part of the extended simulcasts that already exist.

Break filler in the form of BBC adverts, This Week in History (at least mildly interesting) and sometimes a clipped report edited to cover a gap. Outside Source frequently used to do the report one but has stopped bothering, I think. All of that then padded-out with the long filler numberless countdown, the occasional extended weather forecast, and pre-recorded generic Mishal Husain voiceovers (in the case of overnights) saying “This is BBC News, headlines at the top of the hour straight after this programme”. If World News then goes to an extended “irrelevant to UK” programme, we get it padded out with the sorts of things that have been airing at 8:30pm since they axed the evening shift.

In fact, that reminds me of one of my bugbears with the channel as it is: for a while, despite increased reliance on simulcasting, there has been an “anything but World News” attitude to the BBC News Channel. So we have often had a repeated Hardtalk, or the umpteenth repeat of Click, filling a slot instead of programme like Asia Business Report. Yes, Asia Business Report is obvious “non-UK content” but it is also live, factual information which British viewers might be interested in. Why cover it up with a repeat they could be watching on iPlayer?

Also, the idea of a rolling news channel is that it is “rolling” as much as possible. Weekend filler programmes are fine when there is not much going on, but if a programme is live the channel should be showing it - and if there are as many breaks as Sky News then why are we paying a license fee? The BBC should be showing relevant content to UK viewers during World ad breaks. On the strength of recent reporting, it sounds like Deborah Turness has been thinking along these lines, to her credit, but in the past it has been a real weak-spot for the BBC. They certainly shouldn’t be giving British viewers an inferior service (i.e. less live content) than World News viewers receive.

The BBC adverts also wear out from repetition, as they don’t have many, which is so irritating - things like Peter Crouch’s podcast were constantly on the channel a few years back which was galling when much of the money saved on News Channel production has been “reinvested” into podcasts for BBC Sounds to chase a young audience - and I say that as someone in that demographic myself; the idea of podcasts is easy to listen to content which is free and can be sponsored, so totally not a “BBC area” if you ask me).

(03-03-2023, 08:12 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  A totally unknown presenter, at least to me, is heading this first hour of the eternal simulcast that just started.

[Image: vlcsnap-00003.jpg]
That’s Anjana Gadgil, I believe she’s presented on overnights quite a few times. I’m sure I’ve seen her before!

https://twitter.com/anjanagadgil?lang=en 

I quite like your scathing and sarcastic use of the phrase “eternal simulcast” though. Very apt!

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Radio_man - 03-03-2023

Robert Rea has been answering some questions on twitter

https://twitter.com/robertrea/status/1631705020121882625?t=bjgLALt45Vy49OLm86aVxg&s=19 

https://twitter.com/robertrea/status/1631707116904775702?t=jgjYNNX3anjLhSjRnRaMog&s=19 

He also said that the News at 1 will not be coming from B on Monday. So it'll either go out on World as well as in the UK, or World will decamp to C for the 1 - 2pm hour.