Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - chrisherald - 05-03-2023

...yeah if you keep posting long things they'll hate both of us instead of just me.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - gottago - 05-03-2023

I hope some changes are made to the ticker when the new channel fully launches. I assume the idea is they copy and paste headlines from the website and you go on there if you want to read more, but putting things like "Ukraine war: The Moldovan enclave surrounded by pro-Russian forces" totally out of context at the bottom of the screen is just meaningless and not useful in anyway. I wonder if you even really need a ticker these days.

And the term "Interactive" to describe their URL and a few other online bits feels very BBCi.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Kojak - 05-03-2023

(05-03-2023, 02:38 PM)gottago Wrote:  I hope some changes are made to the ticker when the new channel fully launches. I assume the idea is they copy and paste headlines from the website and you go on there if you want to read more, but putting things like "Ukraine war: The Moldovan enclave surrounded by pro-Russian forces" totally out of context at the bottom of the screen is just meaningless and not useful in anyway. I wonder if you even really need a ticker these days.

And the term "Interactive" to describe their URL and a few other online bits feels very BBCi.

The problem with tickers is that they are never, ever used properly - and this is on both the BBC and Sky. When there is breaking news, the ticker nearly always just repeats what the breaking news is - rendering it pointless. Really, a ticker should be there to provide other stories whilst the breaking news is happening on the rest of the screen. It should be a complement to the main product (i.e. the rolling news).

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 05-03-2023

(05-03-2023, 02:38 PM)gottago Wrote:  I hope some changes are made to the ticker when the new channel fully launches. I assume the idea is they copy and paste headlines from the website and you go on there if you want to read more, but putting things like "Ukraine war: The Moldovan enclave surrounded by pro-Russian forces" totally out of context at the bottom of the screen is just meaningless and not useful in anyway. I wonder if you even really need a ticker these days.
Yes, the fact that the ticker is seemingly based on scraping website headlines does lead to a lot of bizarre out-of-context stories on the ticker, which sort of undermines its purpose. Obviously, the switch to this system was due to some form of staffing cutback, but surely it isn't beyond the realms of technology for online story writers/editors to be able to add an alt-title for tickers etc.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - oscillon - 05-03-2023

(05-03-2023, 02:57 PM)DTV Wrote:  Yes, the fact that the ticker is seemingly based on scraping website headlines does lead to a lot of bizarre out-of-context stories on the ticker, which sort of undermines its purpose. Obviously, the switch to this system was due to some form of staffing cutback, but surely it isn't beyond the realms of technology for online story writers/editors to be able to add an alt-title for tickers etc.
Somehow BBC World News ticker has been more prone to that sort of gaffes than News Channel's one. May be they installed some sort of filter on the NC's ticker like "Do NOT pick up titles from "Features and Analysis" section"...

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Worzel - 05-03-2023

(05-03-2023, 03:18 PM)oscillon Wrote:  
(05-03-2023, 02:57 PM)DTV Wrote:  Yes, the fact that the ticker is seemingly based on scraping website headlines does lead to a lot of bizarre out-of-context stories on the ticker, which sort of undermines its purpose. Obviously, the switch to this system was due to some form of staffing cutback, but surely it isn't beyond the realms of technology for online story writers/editors to be able to add an alt-title for tickers etc.
Somehow BBC World News ticker has been more prone to that sort of gaffes than News Channel's one. May be they installed some sort of filter on the NC's ticker like "Do NOT pick up titles from "Features and Analysis" section"...
I seem to recall that the News channel did/does have a text editor during daytime hours, hence how the blooper about Manchester United appeared on it last year. 

https://youtu.be/99X00TKFQiE 

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - interestednovice - 05-03-2023

Yes, historically there was a daytime ticker editor role - but this may have been subject to cutbacks.

Outside of daytime hours, the NC ticker used to be automated and show headlines drawn from the Red Button service. I think the BBC switched a while ago to headlines drawn from the website automatically, in preparation for the Red Button’s planned closure.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - itsrobert - 05-03-2023

Does it really need a ticker anymore? If it's difficult for them to keep it up to date and accurate, maybe it would be better to drop it altogether. After all, they didn't have one for the first 5 or 6 years of News 24.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - TheJarv - 05-03-2023

The ticker/flipper has hardly changed all weekend, the business section is reporting the company ARM listing on the US stockmarket instead of UK, this was news on Friday!

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - oscillon - 05-03-2023

(05-03-2023, 07:20 PM)itsrobert Wrote:  Does it really need a ticker anymore? If it's difficult for them to keep it up to date and accurate, maybe it would be better to drop it altogether. After all, they didn't have one for the first 5 or 6 years of News 24.
IIRC, the ticker with the latest news became a thing across the world after 9/11, when there was a genuine need to constantly recap on all the developments in various places for those who just tuned in.

(27-02-2023, 06:20 PM)DTV Wrote:  Asia Business Report has a very odd history - began in 2000/01, but wasn't even shown on all BBC World regions until 2008, then very quickly became a central piece of the 'overnight' schedule
Actually, both North & Latin America regions show only limited amount of Asia Business Report - just 22:30 UKT and 02:30 UKT editions, in between they have various repeats for BOTH (including one of WNA).