Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ALV - 05-03-2023

How about just revamp the ticker system - rather than using the title of the article as the headline, how about utilizing the first paragraph of every story on the BBC News website, and make the ticker scroll rather than flip like BBC Parliament?

Here's an excerpt of the first paragraphs from the first 4 stories on bbc.com/news:
[Image: d5980c728a59774cc6dd03687b7aaa69.png]

"China will increase military spending by more than 7% this year, while warning of 'escalating' threats."

"Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis has asked for forgiveness from the families of the 57 victims of this week's train crash."

"Nations have reached a historic agreement to protect the world's oceans following 10 years of negotiations."

"Thousands of people have been left without shelter after a massive fire broke out in a crowded Rohingya refugee camp in southeastern Bangladesh."

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ginnyfan - 05-03-2023

So just to check. Are we expecting to see any real changes tomorrow at 06.00 CET? Should be studio C, with a World News bulletin but is TOTH going to be the new, short, straight into top story version? Or is that debuting in April as well? I guess it will be interesting to see who presents it, will it be Sally or someone random like most of the weekend.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Newsroom - 05-03-2023

(05-03-2023, 08:24 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  So just to check. Are we expecting to see any real changes tomorrow at 06.00 CET? Should be studio C, with a World News bulletin but is TOTH going to be the new, short, straight into top story version? Or is that debuting in April as well? I guess it will be interesting to see who presents it, will it be Sally or someone random like most of the weekend.
I believe the plan was to be in E from Monday, and with today's malfunction it would not make any sense to try get C back online for a few hours. The intention was clearly to spend a month getting it ready for April so they've given themselves an extra 12 hours.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Radio_man - 05-03-2023

(05-03-2023, 08:24 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  So just to check. Are we expecting to see any real changes tomorrow at 06.00 CET? Should be studio C, with a World News bulletin but is TOTH going to be the new, short, straight into top story version? Or is that debuting in April as well? I guess it will be interesting to see who presents it, will it be Sally or someone random like most of the weekend.

From what was posted earlier in the thread:

From tomorrow until 3 April:
No headlines, just opening titles.
0900 - 1900 in studio E, evenings, overnights & World early mornings from C
The News at 1 on BBC 1 & the NC from E, World News in C for the 1pm hour.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - bbctvtechop - 05-03-2023

(05-03-2023, 08:37 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  

From what was posted earlier in the thread:

No headlines from tomorrow, just opening titles.
0900 - 1900 in studio E, evenings & overnights & World early mornings from C
The News at 1 on BBC 1 & the NC from E, World News in C for the 1pm hour.
Personally I think the "reduced headlines" thing will come in from April, not tomorrow. The rest of what you say is what we were told a few weeks ago on email.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Jimbo2022 - 05-03-2023

What time is it changing over? C was active to 1625. Bulletin repeated at 2700. But at 1800 all from E, then another story at 1839, then rebroadcast if bbc1 from E with Rita Chajrabati. Then Luquesa returned at 1855 also in E.

I assume they are getting studio C ready but when does the new system begin? Thanks.

(05-03-2023, 08:47 PM)Jimbo2022 Wrote:  What time is it changing over? C was active to 1625. Bulletin repeated at 2700. But at 1800 all from E, then another story at 1839, then rebroadcast if bbc1 from E with Rita Chajrabati. Then Luquesa returned at 1855 also in E.

I assume they are getting studio C ready but when does the new system begin? Thanks.

There were technical issues if you read back.

Recorded output from around 16.45 meant a move to E.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - matthieu1221 - 05-03-2023

(05-03-2023, 07:47 PM)ALV Wrote:  How about just revamp the ticker system - rather than using the title of the article as the headline, how about utilizing the first paragraph of every story on the BBC News website, and make the ticker scroll rather than flip like BBC Parliament?

Here's an excerpt of the first paragraphs from the first 4 stories on bbc.com/news:
[Image: d5980c728a59774cc6dd03687b7aaa69.png]

"China will increase military spending by more than 7% this year, while warning of 'escalating' threats."

"Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis has asked for forgiveness from the families of the 57 victims of this week's train crash."

"Nations have reached a historic agreement to protect the world's oceans following 10 years of negotiations."

"Thousands of people have been left without shelter after a massive fire broke out in a crowded Rohingya refugee camp in southeastern Bangladesh."

Not a fan of a real ticker as opposed to a flipper since it can be distracting but several flips dedicated to the same news item to provide more details has been done before on other news channels.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Radio_man - 05-03-2023

(05-03-2023, 08:47 PM)Jimbo2022 Wrote:  What time is it changing over? C was active to 1625. Bulletin repeated at 2700. But at 1800 all from E, then another story at 1839, then rebroadcast if bbc1 from E with Rita Chajrabati. Then Luquesa returned at 1855 also in E.

I think you're a bit confused about what's happening tomorrow. 
All that's happening is the joint daytime output is from E (apart from the 1pm hour when World moves to C), evenings (7 - 10pm), overnights (2 - 5am) & World early mornings (5 - 9am) from C.
World & the NC have been joint all weekend, there's nothing to "change over" and no "new system" is starting tomorrow.

(05-03-2023, 09:14 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  

I think you're a bit confused about what's happening tomorrow. 
All that's happening is the joint daytime output is from E (apart from the 1pm hour when World moves to C), evenings (7 - 10pm), overnights (2 - 5am) & World early mornings (5 - 9am) from C.
World & the NC have been joint all weekend, there's nothing to "change over" and no "new system" is starting tomorrow.
Other than there'll be no way the BBC can provide UK specific Breaking News for the month. Technically impossible by all accounts .