Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - harshy - 06-03-2023

Dare I say it but WBR looks better in studio E it perfectly works with a real newsroom backdrop maybe they can bring the branded shows back for a month just so we can get Studio E multicoloured for its last month.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Alessi - 06-03-2023

(02-03-2023, 09:53 PM)Rolling News Wrote:  Absolutely over the moon Martine is staying!

As much as I like her, her 'excitable' moment in relation to the Boris news last year was very ill judged for a journalist and I can imagine affected her prospects both at the BBC and other networks.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ALV - 06-03-2023

Annita McVeigh presenting the first weekday merged bulletin, from Studio E. The headline sequence is still retained, the intro is in WN style (no trundle cam), still old countdown, still separate brandings:
[Image: 0b6aafd38700bce7031dfc560ed04f61-png.jpg]
[Image: 165da81b6d1f37fc30d4f89ff12b7082-png.jpg]
Seems like the NC presenters will stay on air for at least one more month.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - oscillon - 06-03-2023

First half of 9am UKT hour is also carried on some PBS stations, so it leads with Turkey-Syria earthquake one month on and a blast in Pakistan. Still no trundle camera shot visible (although that might be due to PBS simulcast, let's see what happens at 10am).

UPD. News ticker on the NC is a UK one, not the World one.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - mokked - 06-03-2023

I know that BBC World News has deals to re-broadcast on other global commercial channels and that they often name check PBS/Public Television in the USA during simulcasted-overnight BBC News broadcasts. I presume that this must be a contractual obligation?

I am however concerned that the first "official" transitional broadcast on BBC News Channel this morning, and they have allowed for that to continue. Surely this is classed as a commercial activity, or product placement, or indeed both?

It has far as I know, not been announced the split of commercial money or licence fee pays for the new BBC News service but as far as I'm concerned, product placement and advertising is banned on the BBC and we pay for the BBC News Channel.

I would suggest that BBC News do not in future mention commercial channels to comply with Ofcom.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Worzel - 06-03-2023

(06-03-2023, 10:19 AM)mokked Wrote:  I know that BBC World News has deals to re-broadcast on other global commercial channels and that they often name check PBS/Public Television in the USA during simulcasted-overnight BBC News broadcasts. I presume that this must be a contractual obligation?

I am however concerned that the first "official" transitional broadcast on BBC News Channel this morning, and they have allowed for that to continue. Surely this is classed as a commercial activity, or product placement, or indeed both?

It has far as I know, not been announced the split of commercial money or licence fee pays for the new BBC News service but as far as I'm concerned, product placement and advertising is banned on the BBC and we pay for the BBC News Channel.

I would suggest that BBC News do not in future mention commercial channels to comply with Ofcom.

PBS simulcasts have previously been mentioned on the UK/World simulcasts.

(06-03-2023, 10:19 AM)mokked Wrote:  I know that BBC World News has deals to re-broadcast on other global commercial channels and that they often name check PBS/Public Television in the USA during simulcasted-overnight BBC News broadcasts. I presume that this must be a contractual obligation?

They have been doing this already for some time during the 8pm UKT edition of Outside Source/BBC News (Friday), as well as 2am UKT bulletin Tue-Sat.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - mokked - 06-03-2023

(06-03-2023, 10:23 AM)oscillon Wrote:  

Breaking news: they have been doing this already for some time during the 8pm UKT edition of Outside Source/BBC News (Friday), as well as 2am UKT bulletin Tue-Sat.

I'm sorry but I haven't been watching as much recently, also I can't stand Outside Source (personal preference). I never had a problem with the 2am bulletin having this as it was a BBC World News production (BBC Studios) paid for commercially not through the licence fee, was broadcast overnight when a majority of UK-based viewers sleep. This issue I'm stating as far as I'm concerned is that during the day, BBC News paid for by licence holders should not include any name check to a commercial organisation anywhere in the World.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ALV - 06-03-2023

(06-03-2023, 10:27 AM)mokked Wrote:  I'm sorry but I haven't been watching as much recently, also I can't stand Outside Source (personal preference). I never had a problem with the 2am bulletin having this as it was a BBC World News production (BBC Studios) paid for commercially not through the licence fee, was broadcast overnight when a majority of UK-based viewers sleep. This issue I'm stating as far as I'm concerned is that during the day, BBC News paid for by licence holders should not include any name check to a commercial organisation anywhere in the World.
How do you define a "World Production" and a "NC Production" bulletin? The 9AM simulcast this morning uses the WN format with a WN intro sequence and a proper outro... Does that count as a WN production using WN budget in your book?

---

At 0930 WN and NC has a BOTH headline sequence, after the sting, WN opted out for HARDtalk, NC stayed for domestic headlines:
[Image: 36d736876d312d28ad546afe9f10af35.png]

(06-03-2023, 10:27 AM)mokked Wrote:  
(06-03-2023, 10:23 AM)oscillon Wrote:  Breaking news: they have been doing this already for some time during the 8pm UKT edition of Outside Source/BBC News (Friday), as well as 2am UKT bulletin Tue-Sat.

I'm sorry but I haven't been watching as much recently, also I can't stand Outside Source (personal preference). I never had a problem with the 2am bulletin having this as it was a BBC World News production (BBC Studios) paid for commercially not through the licence fee, was broadcast overnight when a majority of UK-based viewers sleep. This issue I'm stating as far as I'm concerned is that during the day, BBC News paid for by licence holders should not include any name check to a commercial organisation anywhere in the World.

I'm not sure what part of the new channel will be "paid for by licence holders" and not produced by former World News.
PBS is not a commercial organisation, it is a U.S. public broadcaster (although with much smaller budget than the BBC).

By now the World viewers should have decoupled to HardTalk, still the continuing bulletin is running pretty much global story about Twitter.