Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ALV - 06-03-2023

The 5PM hour is still handled by the News at One team - it's presented by Clive Myrie.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - qwerty123 - 06-03-2023

(06-03-2023, 04:44 PM)Jimbo2022 Wrote:  Hard talk on World at 0930 and 1530 we now know. Bulletin continues fir UK version

So world splits now appear to be

0600-0900te 
0930-1000
1300-1400
1530-1600
1800-1900
2200-2230

With the two channels the same the rest of the time apart from optouts for weather and ads

Not quite. Back half hours from 22:30 through to 05:00 are also separate, albeit prerecorded filler for UK viewers (and also for world viewers in many cases).

It seems Christian Fraser (or whoever is filling in for The Context) will now do the 6PM bulletin on WN only:
[Image: e6233af3ccaf7a40ff1482463bcb50e8-png.jpg]

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - dvboy - 06-03-2023

Clive Myrie just said Christian Fraser would be on next, ahead of the Six presented by Reeta (presumably Christian is on World)
That's one thing they are going to need to look at putting right.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Radio_man - 06-03-2023

(06-03-2023, 07:02 PM)dvboy Wrote:  Clive Myrie just said Christian Fraser would be on next, ahead of the Six presented by Reeta (presumably Christian is on World)
That's one thing they are going to need to look at putting right.
"Look at putting right"? It was a minor slip from Clive as he was padding to hit the closing titles - hardly anything to get upset about. And it's arguably the most relevant comment to make anyway - the majority of viewers will be World viewers.

For the first full weekday of joint operation, I'd say today has gone pretty well.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 06-03-2023

I have to say the cautious optimism I had earlier in the day has disappeared as it went on. Although Hockings' shift was fairly reasonably balanced (about 30-40% UK news during shared output and with key world news taking priority), the afternoon shifts have been far more skewed in favour of UK news - some have featured majority domestic news stories and the 17:00 hour was well into the 60-70% bracket of a typical unsimulcast BBC News channel hour, featuring only four non-UK stories (including just one in the back-half). It really did seem that they had forgotten they were going out internationally.

A real part of the problem seems to be pacing - some of the afternoon hours were interminably slow - the 17:00 hour featured just six stories in its first half, one of which was just in passing. This is something that has definitely got worse in recent years, but is something they really should look at - not least as fitting in more stories will allow more of the world to get covered, while allowing more UK stories in and meaning that the ones of dubious international relevance (which today included Raab's bullying allegations, northern train delays and fire services strike) stick out less. News in Brief segments - including maybe a UK in Brief and an Around the World in Brief segment - would really help out here (I only saw one today).

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Kojak - 06-03-2023

It’ll get there. Remember, this is probably in no small part the purpose of the rehearsals they’re having - to get a sense of how to structure the hour in a way that will satisfy both domestic and World viewers. I’m sure they’re looking at today and will restructure accordingly over the next few weeks. Hey, maybe someone at the Beeb is even reading this thread!

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Mvink - 06-03-2023

(06-03-2023, 04:44 PM)Jimbo2022 Wrote:  Hard talk on World at 0930 and 1530 we now know. Bulletin continues fir UK version
So world splits now appear to be
0600-09000930-10001300-14001530-16001800-19002200-2230
With the two channels the same the rest of the time apart from optouts for weather and ads
Aren't 11:45-12:00 and 14:45-15:00 UK only as well when Sport Today is on air on World??

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 06-03-2023

(06-03-2023, 07:48 PM)Kojak Wrote:  It’ll get there. Remember, this is probably in no small part the purpose of the rehearsals they’re having - to get a sense of how to structure the hour in a way that will satisfy both domestic and World viewers. I’m sure they’re looking at today and will restructure accordingly over the next few weeks. Hey, maybe someone at the Beeb is even reading this thread!
I do certainly hope so, because there is clearly a workable balance and I think, if they find it, the new channel could be reasonably decent. I did also bear in mind that things like Couzens' sentencing and Braverman's arena bombing statement would presumably be handled differently from next month when the opt-out service is available. Maybe it's just a first day thing, but that 17:00 hour did put a little bit of a damper on my optimism - particularly considering it's been a fairly slow news day in the UK.

Something is wrong with the graphics engine that is patched to the NC's TX in Studio C currently on Outside Source... The FPS for the ticker, DOG, and lower thirds is super low, like 5 FPS, which is laggy as hell... On WN it's perfectly fine...

During the NC breakdown yesterday, the graphics on their replay server is also very laggy... It's time for an upgrade...