Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Stuart - 06-03-2023

(06-03-2023, 02:59 PM)Moz Wrote:  You’d think BBC World would feature a clock with UTC time on it. Most of the time you only look at a clock for the minutes anyway and while there are some time zones with +/- 30 minutes this is rare.
The second most populous country in the world (with 1.3 billion people) operates on IST (Indian Standard Time) which is GMT+5:30. Hardly 'rare' when it's 17% of the planet's population. Dodgy

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - steve - 06-03-2023

There’s an awful lot of hyperbole in this thread - there are many things going on in the world right now which you might deem a ‘disaster’, this is not one.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - eyeTV - 06-03-2023

(06-03-2023, 09:39 PM)steve Wrote:  There’s an awful lot of hyperbole in this thread - there are many things going on in the world right now which you might deem a ‘disaster’, this is not one.

This is a TV pres forum, we are talking about fundamental changes to a TV service. In that context the responses are entirely rational.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - steve - 06-03-2023

(06-03-2023, 09:41 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  
(06-03-2023, 09:39 PM)steve Wrote:  There’s an awful lot of hyperbole in this thread - there are many things going on in the world right now which you might deem a ‘disaster’, this is not one.

This is a TV pres forum, we are talking about fundamental changes to a TV service. In that context the responses are entirely rational.
I mean, even in that context - they’re really not. But thanks for pointing out this is a tv pres forum, I hadn’t noticed.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - harshy - 06-03-2023

I am guessing the bbc are using this merged service period essentially as a Guinea pig to see what works and what dosent work for a merged service.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - thevaran - 06-03-2023

(06-03-2023, 02:59 PM)Moz Wrote:  
(06-03-2023, 02:38 PM)Transmission Wrote:  I can't imagine it won't have one. It's something that's been expected on news channels since long before even tickers were, and the convenience and usefulness to viewers outweighs the slight delay on some platforms.

Speaking of the clock, it did disappear for about 15 minutes at around 09:15 this morning, there were a few problems with the news channel ticker for a little while.

You’d think BBC World would feature a clock with UTC time on it. Most of the time you only look at a clock for the minutes anyway and while there are some time zones with +/- 30 minutes this is rare.

CNN International has a clock with GMT / CET. It's on all the CNNI feeds around the world.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Kojak - 06-03-2023

(06-03-2023, 10:43 PM)thevaran Wrote:  
(06-03-2023, 02:59 PM)Moz Wrote:  You’d think BBC World would feature a clock with UTC time on it. Most of the time you only look at a clock for the minutes anyway and while there are some time zones with +/- 30 minutes this is rare.

CNN International has a clock with GMT / CET. It's on all the CNNI feeds around the world.
Sky News Australia used to (they might still, I don't know) have a clock that rotated between all the timezones of Australia and New Zealand. Might be good if World adopted something similar.

We were treated to an 86-second countdown before the Ten - love it! The countdowns seem to have been longer than usual today - long may that continue!

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - thevaran - 06-03-2023

(06-03-2023, 06:01 PM)ALV Wrote:  The 5PM hour is still handled by the News at One team - it's presented by Clive Myrie.

I'm a WN viewer in Europe and I'm so glad to see Clive Myrie presenting on the channel.
I was kind of looking forward to seeing News at 1, 6 and 10 on WN with the new merge service.
It's over-night in Asia, so not too many viewers over there at that time anyway.

I believe a lot of people in Europe would enjoy watching the UK domestic newscasts on WN.
Much more so than 'Focus on Africa' and 'Worklife India' which are totally irrelevant to European viewers.
They should be on in their own respective regions only, perhaps repeated several times during the day.

Also, I would prefer BBC News at 10 to BBC News America on the European feed.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - all new phil - 06-03-2023

Not sure why people think a news channel *has* to have a clock on-screen when pretty much anybody watching will have a more accurate time displayed on the phone in their pocket. Classic case of thinking something has to be done because it always has been.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - PATV Scunthorpe - 06-03-2023

The 2020 US election coverage did feature a version of the News Channel clock which alternated between GMT and EST, so something like that could work. Having quite a lot of time zones probably wouldn't be too much of an issue considering how many cities used to appear on the clock graphic they used for Newsday pre-Reith.

https://up.metropol247.co.uk/PATV%20Scunthorpe/clockgmt:pst.png