Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Andrew - 06-03-2023

Is it normal for there to be a 20 minute random item about guide dogs at 10:40pm that just came on without any introduction about why it was being aired?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - eyeTV - 07-03-2023

(06-03-2023, 11:59 PM)Andrew Wrote:  Is it normal for there to be a 20 minute random item about guide dogs at 10:40pm that just came on without any introduction about why it was being aired?

It was like a public information film. Why can't they opt back into World after BBC News at Ten? I guess they would be crashing into something mid-broadcast.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - thevaran - 07-03-2023

(06-03-2023, 11:59 PM)Andrew Wrote:  Is it normal for there to be a 20 minute random item about guide dogs at 10:40pm that just came on without any introduction about why it was being aired?

That item has been shown several times lately.

Meanwhile, Sport Today (from the new set) was shown on WN, however the presenter called it Sportsday.

Why two different names but still so similar? Sport Today and Sportsday. It makes no sense to me.

I guess this will change from April.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Ste - 07-03-2023

What happened here? An empty desk shown with the correct related image for the upcoming story behind it. Something to do with the rehearsals perhaps?

https://youtu.be/onj47TO5Bpg 

And then an piece to camera about refugee crossings in the channel from Chris Mason introduced as being from David Wallace Lockhart.

(Sorry for the lack of proper capture, was just about to go to bed when it happened)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - simon - 07-03-2023

(06-03-2023, 11:49 PM)all new phil Wrote:  Not sure why people think a news channel *has* to have a clock on-screen when pretty much anybody watching will have a more accurate time displayed on the phone in their pocket. Classic case of thinking something has to be done because it always has been.

I often have a news channel on in the background, and my office has both BBC and Sky News on TVs. I've become quite accustomed to just glancing at a TV when I want to know the time. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Would it be the end of the world if they took it away? No. Would I miss it? Yes.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Independent - 07-03-2023

(07-03-2023, 12:25 AM)Ste Wrote:  What happened here? An empty desk shown with the correct related image for the upcoming story behind it. Something to do with the rehearsals perhaps?
IIRC it was mentioned here or on the old forums that even though there's no regular London presenter someone would carry on with the bulletin from Studio C if the connection with Singapore drops because Newsday and WNA are treated as outside broadcasts. Don't know if that'll be the case after April.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Scratch_Perry - 07-03-2023

(07-03-2023, 12:10 AM)thevaran Wrote:  

That item has been shown several times lately.

Meanwhile, Sport Today (from the new set) was shown on WN, however the presenter called it Sportsday.

Why two different names but still so similar? Sport Today and Sportsday. It makes no sense to me.

On Sport Today on WN, did they show footage from events with broadcaster accreditation (ie. the Brentford v Fulham Premier League game), or was it just stills?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - thevaran - 07-03-2023

(07-03-2023, 01:28 AM)Scratch_Perry Wrote:  
(07-03-2023, 12:10 AM)thevaran Wrote:  That item has been shown several times lately.

On Sport Today on WN, did they show footage from events with broadcaster accreditation (ie. the Brentford v Fulham Premier League game), or was it just stills?

They showed footage. It looked like match footage but I guess it was from after the game.

Sport Today started at 1043 on WN, just a few minutes after Sportsday on NC ended.
They look identical, same new set, same presenter, similar content but different names.
Use mostly the same script, even forgot to change Sportsday to Sport Today in the closing segment.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - oscillon - 07-03-2023

(07-03-2023, 01:04 AM)Independent Wrote:  
(07-03-2023, 12:25 AM)Ste Wrote:  What happened here? An empty desk shown with the correct related image for the upcoming story behind it. Something to do with the rehearsals perhaps?
IIRC it was mentioned here or on the old forums that even though there's no regular London presenter someone would carry on with the bulletin from Studio C if the connection with Singapore drops because Newsday and WNA are treated as outside broadcasts. Don't know if that'll be the case after April.
Previously, IIRC, it was the job of the Papers presenter for early editions of Newsday, and 2am presenter for the later one. However, I'm not sure who takes care of the early Newsday editions since they axed the Papers and the whole NC evening shift.
===========================================================================================
Overnights again come from Studio E, despite OS and The Context apparently coming from Studio C (although no wide shots were shown so thoeretically could have been A or some other studio, I guess. However, metallic handrail behind Christian kind of gives it away that this was Studio C, after all.) News ticker on the NC is UK-specific this night.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - bakamann - 07-03-2023

(07-03-2023, 12:10 AM)thevaran Wrote:  Meanwhile, Sport Today (from the new set) was shown on WN, however the presenter called it Sportsday.

I kinda feel the same for a long time, because the only difference between Sports Today and Sportsday was the former do not have the rights to broadcast clips from another channel... despite the fact that CNN International airs sports clips from BBC, Sky Sports, BT Sport and others.