Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - chrisherald - 07-03-2023

I think it may be necessary (even in this temporary month) to wait a bit before judging the domestic/international balance. And, frankly, if I were the one running this, amid the political environment, I'd be tempted to deliberately put a UK slant on these first days/hours knowing that everyone will be watching to judge this. Also, wouldn't want the first few hours of output to not have a UK slant less they become Ofcom fodder for "look no domestic coverage! can't approve this, back to how it was, now!"

To the individual here who is disappointed at the name checking of "PBS in America" (during the hours he's watching!) allegedly on commercial revenue/license fee split grounds: the way things are going, one day soon I bet everything you see on your BBC will be more commercially funded than license fee funded (that's why the BBC is splitting off so many aspects to commercial arms anyway; major dramas produced with commercial sales global partners already in mind). if you want a BBC that speaks only for you, get your government to actually fund it.

Regarding a clock, I'd really love a clock on World News (any time zone, I don't care; just give me something). A clock is very helpful in syncing up different channels content and scrubbing through 24/7 recordings where the actual tape timing doesn't always bear perfect relation to wall clock time.

Regarding India, and their 17% or whatever, honestly, why does Red Bee not have the capacity to overlay some static/limited graphics (like a basic clock in a fixed screen region) on all regional variants (like the basic white "BBC World News" that would appear fixed on screen during some overnights/Singapore and taped programmes when the news ticket and black/red logo bar disappears.) It's not expensive to do that.

The blue lighting in E actually didn't clash much with the fixed red elements. It was kinda nice, perhaps the red has just become a bit too bright lately.

I personally hate finance/business programming, feels quite outmoded this day in age; who are those stories even for (and what business is even left to report on, we ain't even got tomatoes, lol). Anyway.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Newsroom - 07-03-2023

They've moved back to Studio C at 5am this morning.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Stuart - 07-03-2023

(07-03-2023, 05:07 AM)chrisherald Wrote:  I personally hate finance/business programming, feels quite outmoded this day in age; who are those stories even for (and what business is even left to report on, we ain't even got tomatoes, lol). Anyway.
Business/economic news is presumably quite popular with many. They still have the business segment on BBC Breakfast and Sky News have an hour of 'Ian King Live' from 10:00 each weekday.

The economy is important to everybody, so I think there should always be an opportunity to drill deeper into the topic for those who wish to know more.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - oscillon - 07-03-2023

BTW, with Annita McVeigh doing 9am, 10am & 1pm World and Sally Bundock covering 5am & 6am World, who does World-only 7am and 8am hours now?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Rolling News - 07-03-2023

(07-03-2023, 11:24 AM)oscillon Wrote:  BTW, with Annita McVeigh doing 9am, 10am & 1pm World and Sally Bundock covering 5am & 6am World, who does World-only 7am and 8am hours now?
I think it was Geeta Guru Murthy yesterday. Not sure about today.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - harshy - 07-03-2023

How do we watch Focus on Africa now then? Ie what channels.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Newsroom - 07-03-2023

(07-03-2023, 11:28 AM)harshy Wrote:  How do we watch Focus on Africa now then? Ie what channels.

Focus On Africa has vanished from the schedules. A quick check on Twitter and other people are asking what's happened to it.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Kojak - 07-03-2023

(07-03-2023, 11:38 AM)Newsroom Wrote:  
(07-03-2023, 11:28 AM)harshy Wrote:  How do we watch Focus on Africa now then? Ie what channels.

Focus On Africa has vanished from the schedules. A quick check on Twitter and other people are asking what's happened to it
Apparently it's only being shown on partner channels now.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - bakamann - 07-03-2023

Lukwesa is now presenting the joint BBC News bulletin from Studio E.

I wonder if they are trialing a UK-centric news bulletins during the late-morning hours, which would, unfortunately, be primetime hours in the Asia-Pacific zone.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - oscillon - 07-03-2023

Today's morning coverage seems to me more UK-centric then yesterday's, starting with the migrant policy. Also today Lukwesa Burak is in what was yesterday Lucy Hokings' slot, so may be Lucy has gone to rehearsals.

BTW, it appears that the BBC execs became aware of the empty newsroom and dark monitors problem, so yesterday they actually turned on the monitors right behind Studio E, and today they even have somebody working in front of them!
[Image: Screenshot-20230306-152655-Chrome.jpg]
[Image: image.png]