Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - thevaran - 07-03-2023

(07-03-2023, 12:06 PM)Kojak Wrote:  
(07-03-2023, 11:38 AM)Newsroom Wrote:  Focus On Africa has vanished from the schedules. A quick check on Twitter and other people are asking what's happened to it
Apparently it's only being shown on partner channels now.

Focus on Africa shouldn't be shown outside the Africa region. It's not relevant to viewers in Europe.
People in Europe (including expats) are much more interested in what's happening in the UK .
Give European viewers News at six instead of Focus on Africa.

How about recording Focus on Africa at midday and repeating it several times during the day on WN in Africa.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ViridianFan - 07-03-2023

(07-03-2023, 12:18 PM)No oscillon Wrote:  Today's morning coverage seems to me more UK-centric then yesterday's, starting with the migrant policy. Also today Lukwesa Burak is in what was yesterday Lucy Hokings' slot, so may be Lucy has gone to rehearsals.

BTW, it appears that the BBC execs became aware of the empty newsroom and dark monitors problem, so yesterday they actually turned on the monitors right behind Studio E, and today they even have somebody working in front of them!
[Image: Screenshot-20230306-152655-Chrome.jpg]
[Image: image.png]
I noticed that there were a lot more monitors on. It does make it look much better with then on. Even if there isn’t people working at them gives the feel of more activity.

(07-03-2023, 12:16 PM)bakamann Wrote:  Lukwesa is now presenting the joint BBC News bulletin from Studio E.

I wonder if they are trialing a UK-centric news bulletins during the late-morning hours, which would, unfortunately, be primetime hours in the Asia-Pacific zone.

Late-morning hours will eventually be world only when the simulcast with Radio 5 Live starts this spring.

I can't see how this saves the BBC money, as they now have to produce two different shows. 
The regular news hours for viewers outside the UK will still be running as the radio show won't be simulcast.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Kojak - 07-03-2023

(07-03-2023, 12:58 PM)thevaran Wrote:  
(07-03-2023, 12:16 PM)bakamann Wrote:  Lukwesa is now presenting the joint BBC News bulletin from Studio E.

I wonder if they are trialing a UK-centric news bulletins during the late-morning hours, which would, unfortunately, be primetime hours in the Asia-Pacific zone.

Late-morning hours will eventually be world only when the simulcast with Radio 5 Live starts this spring.

I can't see how this saves the BBC money, as they now have to produce two different shows. 
The regular news hours for viewers outside the UK will still be running as the radio show won't be simulcast.
It saves money in the sense that Nicky Campbell's show is being made anyway, so the thinking is that putting it on TV counts as UK-centric content. (Personally I think it's completely absurd, but there you go). Presumably this means the World bulletins in that slot will then be completely internationally-focused.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Chud - 07-03-2023

(06-03-2023, 04:44 PM)Jimbo2022 Wrote:  Hard talk on World at 0930 and 1530 we now know. Bulletin continues fir UK version

So world splits now appear to be

0600-0900
0930-1000
1300-1400
1530-1600
1800-1900
2200-2230

With the two channels the same the rest of the time apart from optouts for weather and ads
There’s not a huge amount of WN Only during peak time. I’d be happy with keeping those times as branded as world news, that way the viewer knows it’s international news focused.

harshy - harshy - 07-03-2023

(07-03-2023, 12:49 PM)thevaran Wrote:  
(07-03-2023, 12:06 PM)Kojak Wrote:  Apparently it's only being shown on partner channels now.

Focus on Africa shouldn't be shown outside the Africa region. It's not relevant to viewers in Europe.
People in Europe (including expats) are much more interested in what's happening in the UK .
Give European viewers News at six instead of Focus on Africa.

How about recording Focus on Africa at midday and repeating it several times during the day on WN in Africa.

What are the partner channels showing focus on Africa, I like that theme tune and I miss a green orange bbc studio.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Radio_man - 07-03-2023

(06-03-2023, 11:38 PM)thevaran Wrote:  
(06-03-2023, 06:01 PM)ALV Wrote:  The 5PM hour is still handled by the News at One team - it's presented by Clive Myrie.

I'm a WN viewer in Europe and I'm so glad to see Clive Myrie presenting on the channel.
I was kind of looking forward to seeing News at 1, 6 and 10 on WN with the new merge service.
It's over-night in Asia, so not too many viewers over there at that time anyway.

I believe a lot of people in Europe would enjoy watching the UK domestic newscasts on WN.
Much more so than 'Focus on Africa' and 'Worklife India' which are totally irrelevant to European viewers.
They should be on in their own respective regions only, perhaps repeated several times during the day.

Also, I would prefer BBC News at 10 to BBC News America on the European feed.

It's been explained on here many times that BBC World News has made money from advertisers over the last 10-15 years by being a truly international news channel. It won't make money by becoming a news channel for British expats abroad who want to watch domestic UK news.

If BBC WN fails to generate revenue, then the entire linear TV news channel operation is threatened. Whilst it's inevitable that there will be more UK news on the merged channel, if there's too much focus on issues that are trivial to international audiences, like UK weather, the pyscho-drama of UK party politics, and UK court cases, then the entire news operation will suffer.

I think I watched 1 report on the News at Six last night, I really couldn't have cared for the rest of it. International news was much more interesting to me yesterday.

(07-03-2023, 01:57 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  
(06-03-2023, 11:38 PM)thevaran Wrote:  I'm a WN viewer in Europe and I'm so glad to see Clive Myrie presenting on the channel.
I was kind of looking forward to seeing News at 1, 6 and 10 on WN with the new merge service.
It's over-night in Asia, so not too many viewers over there at that time anyway.

I believe a lot of people in Europe would enjoy watching the UK domestic newscasts on WN.
Much more so than 'Focus on Africa' and 'Worklife India' which are totally irrelevant to European viewers.
They should be on in their own respective regions only, perhaps repeated several times during the day.

Also, I would prefer BBC News at 10 to BBC News America on the European feed.

It's been explained on here many times that BBC World News has made money from advertisers over the last 10-15 years by being a truly international news channel. It won't make money by becoming a news channel for British expats abroad who want to watch domestic UK news.

If BBC WN fails to generate revenue, then the entire linear TV news channel operation is threatened. Whilst it's inevitable that there will be more UK news on the merged channel, if there's too much focus on issues that are trivial to international audiences, like UK weather, the pyscho-drama of UK party politics, and UK court cases, then the entire news operation will suffer.

I think I watched 1 report on the News at Six last night, I really couldn't have cared for the rest of it. International news was much more interesting to me yesterday.

CNN International successfully mix international and domestic shows.
I don't think they'll ever go back to a schedule with international shows only.
It's too expensive. They get more viewers and increased revenue with the mixed schedule.

France 24 cover both French and international news. I watch them especially for the French news.

I am NOT an expat, I am NOT British but I am watching WN in Europe. 
I couldn't care less for shows like Focus on Africa, Newsday Asia, Asia Business Report, WN America and Worklife India.
I've always wondered why those shows are on here, when there hardly isn't any British news on WN.
Those shows are simply not relevant on the European feed, especially not in the evening / primetime. 
After all I'm watching the BBC with a B as in British.

WN has very few adverts in Europe. Their advertisers are in the USA, and in Asian and possibly African regions.
I think there's money to saved by simulcasting News at Six/Ten on the European WN feed.
This would be over-night in Asia when they have very few viewers over there.
If Europe can do with Newsday Asia and Asian Business Report, Asia can do  with News at Six/Ten over-night.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Chud - 07-03-2023

Lukwesa directing viewers to BBC Parliament for continuing coverage of the House of Commons. I don’t think I’ve ever heard them do that before.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 07-03-2023

(07-03-2023, 02:35 PM)Chud Wrote:  Lukwesa directing viewers to BBC Parliament for continuing coverage of the House of Commons. I don’t think I’ve ever heard them do that before.
It's rare, but should really have been done more often. If viewers want to watch lengthy live coverage of the House of Commons, they'll watch BBC Parliament - it's not hard to find, on my EPG it is literally right next to BBC News. I know that Sky often take parliamentary statements etc. as well, but they a) don't have a parliamentary channel and b) the BBC should have used such opportunities to cover other stories, coming back to edited highlights later, rather than having both the UK's news channels show exactly the same thing.