Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Kojak - 07-03-2023

The guide dog feature is on again tonight.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - interestednovice - 08-03-2023

Oh dear!

It seems that in this new world of eternal simulcast we now have a nightly repeat of a guide dogs report in place of The Papers. What a shame.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - thevaran - 08-03-2023

(07-03-2023, 11:56 PM)Kojak Wrote:  The guide dog feature is on again tonight.

Same feature shown at the very same time two nights in a row.
Not much content available for this slot?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - interestednovice - 08-03-2023

I think it's more that a report, or whatever, has to be clipped up to the appropriate length.

Given that resources are just as stretched behind the camera, it's likely that there are no producers avaliable to regularly prepare circa 10 minute packages specifically for this slot.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - eyeTV - 08-03-2023

The same 20 minute report as last night at 23:40 about Spy Balloons too.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - FactorFiles - 08-03-2023

(07-03-2023, 09:36 PM)Rolling News Wrote:  I was today years old when I realised BBC World News do full TOTH sequences every 30 minutes (presumably only during hours when there's no back half hour filler programme).

Has this always been the case?

One other thing that hasn't been mentioned, is that these BOTH headline summaries are clipped out and used elsewhere as standalone "one minute headlines" videos:
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/10462520 

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Independent - 08-03-2023

(07-03-2023, 01:25 PM)Kojak Wrote:  It saves money in the sense that Nicky Campbell's show is being made anyway, so the thinking is that putting it on TV counts as UK-centric content. (Personally I think it's completely absurd, but there you go). Presumably this means the World bulletins in that slot will then be completely internationally-focused.
It certainly is absurd when the hours that are purely international-focused are during the time when WN has it's lowest viewership. Meanwhile UK viewers get a televised call-in show.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - bakamann - 08-03-2023

Since BBC World News will undergo a revamp, I seriously think that BBC Studios should ask Pay TV providers around the world to broadcast BBC News channel in either High definition or 16:9 widescreen format.

For some reason, BBC World News here in the Philippines is still being carried in 4:3 SD but on a 14:9 letterboxed format, while other news channels are simply in 16:9 widescreen.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Radio_man - 08-03-2023

An unpopular opinion here no doubt, but since this 'merger' was announced and it became clear that World News would undoubtedly win out over the domestic NC, I've been of the view that the NC should just be replaced in the UK with the full World News channel. And by full - I mean ALL of it. So UK viewers would get what viewers in the Republic of Ireland and across Europe get. No opts for Breakfast, the 1, 6 & 10 or Nicky Campbell (roll eyes).

The only UK story in the 9am half hour today was the illegal immigration bill. There's also significant UK news today with the weather (yes I know, but snow in Britain is a big deal) and the rail strikes being called off, but neither was mentioned.

At least if a channel called BBC World News was being fully broadcast in the UK, viewers would know what to expect. Any significant UK breaking news could be covered live as a pop-up stream on the BBC news app, website and iPlayer. And even BBC 2 daytimes could be broken into, as that now is just the news channel until lunchtime and then repeats until the evening.

(Ducks and runs for cover)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - neonemesis - 08-03-2023

(08-03-2023, 11:19 AM)Radio_man Wrote:  An unpopular opinion here no doubt, but since this 'merger' was announced and it became clear that World News would undoubtedly win out over the domestic NC, I've been of the view that the NC should just be replaced in the UK with the full World News channel. And by full - I mean ALL of it. So UK viewers would get what viewers in the Republic of Ireland and across Europe get. No opts for Breakfast, the 1, 6 & 10 or Nicky Campbell (roll eyes).

The only UK story in the 9am half hour today was the illegal immigration bill. There's also significant UK news today with the weather (yes I know, but snow in Britain is a big deal) and the rail strikes being called off, but neither was mentioned.

At least if a channel called BBC World News was being fully broadcast in the UK, viewers would know what to expect. Any significant UK breaking news could be covered live as a pop-up stream on the BBC news app, website and iPlayer. And even BBC 2 daytimes could be broken into, as that now is just the news channel until lunchtime and then repeats until the evening.

(Ducks and runs for cover)

This would also be my preference, so I will hide under the table with you. Domestic news from the national bulletins, web and app. Full, quality international news from BBC World. I understand why other people disagree with this preference and most of those arguments are perfectly valid.