Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - bakamann - 08-03-2023

Actually, I kinda wanna ask this for a while, but I was wondering if the CBC-style funding for BBC News would be feasible or not?

I believe national and local newscasts of CBC Canada are still publicly funded (partially, in a way), but I think CBC News Network is funded through advertisers and subscription?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Newshound47 - 08-03-2023

I doubt the BBC would want to start doing the commercial route in the UK just for news.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Stuart - 08-03-2023

(08-03-2023, 11:19 AM)Radio_man Wrote:  An unpopular opinion here no doubt, but since this 'merger' was announced and it became clear that World News would undoubtedly win out over the domestic NC, I've been of the view that the NC should just be replaced in the UK with the full World News channel. And by full - I mean ALL of it. So UK viewers would get what viewers in the Republic of Ireland and across Europe get. No opts for Breakfast, the 1, 6 & 10 or Nicky Campbell (roll eyes).
I am tending to agree.  This situation is similar to when Sky took over BSB and called it a 'merger'. Everybody knew what it was.

BBC WN is a decent channel, it's clearly popular around the world and is commercially viable. Why not just broadcast it in full in the UK (sans adverts) instead of diluting both to create a hybrid which may just end up satisfying fewer people.

From 06:00-23:15 there are the Breakfast, Politics Live, 1/6/10 & Newsnight teams working who could handle breaking news for short bulletins on BBC One/Two.

I appreciate there are far more people required to fire up even a 'CSO cupboard and gallery', but if it was an important UK story there would be staff working on the content anyway.

The BBC has been starved of money, so it's time to admit we can't have a domestic news channel and revert to just breaking into the schedules on the main channels as was done pre-N24.

I fear that at the moment the BBC are "taking apart a pair of silk purses and reconstructing them as a sow's ear".

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - oscillon - 08-03-2023

The 11am hour featured the return of looooong two-minute headlines as well as slow gallery - image of Nord Stream map was not ready for another 7 seconds when it was needed, so they showed globe instead.
Also there were couple of "freezes" at the end of pre-recorded parts.
Apparently the hour is on a rota now, so today was Shaun Ley's turn.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Moz - 08-03-2023

(08-03-2023, 11:19 AM)Radio_man Wrote:  An unpopular opinion here no doubt, but since this 'merger' was announced and it became clear that World News would undoubtedly win out over the domestic NC, I've been of the view that the NC should just be replaced in the UK with the full World News channel. And by full - I mean ALL of it. So UK viewers would get what viewers in the Republic of Ireland and across Europe get. No opts for Breakfast, the 1, 6 & 10 or Nicky Campbell (roll eyes).

The only UK story in the 9am half hour today was the illegal immigration bill. There's also significant UK news today with the weather (yes I know, but snow in Britain is a big deal) and the rail strikes being called off, but neither was mentioned.

At least if a channel called BBC World News was being fully broadcast in the UK, viewers would know what to expect. Any significant UK breaking news could be covered live as a pop-up stream on the BBC news app, website and iPlayer. And even BBC 2 daytimes could be broken into, as that now is just the news channel until lunchtime and then repeats until the evening.

(Ducks and runs for cover)

I’d agree with this - but I’d still keep the ability to do UK opts for National breaking news.

I see no benefit at all in showing what’s already available on BBC One or BBC Two.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Newsroom - 08-03-2023

The UK steam has split from the main stream for Politics Live.

Interesting that it was widely reported that it wouldn't be possible during the month leading up to the launch

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ALV - 08-03-2023

We have our first "UK opt" this morning ever since the transition period:
[Image: 7c08bb3a613f67112c28f2527ccd874c.png]
At 11:58, where WN is in promos after Sport Today, NC and Studio E faded into Politics Live, NC then switched to another gallery. 2 minutes later, Studio E is on air with Shaun Ley only on WN.

The funny thing is at the 12PM WN only bulletin, Shaun Ley still greeted viewers "welcome whether you're watching in the UK or around the world", despite he just sent the NC viewers off to Politics Live 2 mins ago heh...

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - bakamann - 08-03-2023

Someone uploaded an intro of BBC Focus on Africa from yesterday, which was recorded from The Africa Channel in the United States. Looks like its operating as usual, including the lower-thirds, but only has the "bbc.com/news" filler on the flipper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHNJ8GT9l9U 

EDIT: @EverythingFavs is here lmao

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Newshound47 - 08-03-2023

(08-03-2023, 12:54 PM)Moz Wrote:  

The only UK story in the 9am half hour today was the illegal immigration bill. There's also significant UK news today with the weather (yes I know, but snow in Britain is a big deal) and the rail strikes being called off, but neither was mentioned.

At least if a channel called BBC World News was being fully broadcast in the UK, viewers would know what to expect. Any significant UK breaking news could be covered live as a pop-up stream on the BBC news app, website and iPlayer. And even BBC 2 daytimes could be broken into, as that now is just the news channel until lunchtime and then repeats until the evening.

(Ducks and runs for cover)

I’d agree with this - but I’d still keep the ability to do UK opts for National breaking news.

I see no benefit at all in showing what’s already available on BBC One or BBC Two.
The signed stuff is Important and would be very controversial if reduced to just a stream.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 08-03-2023

(08-03-2023, 12:54 PM)Moz Wrote:  
Yeah, I don't think it's best to return to breaking into One or Two, especially as the kinds of news stories that the opt would cover are far more frequent than the kinds of story that would once have received a network news flash. However, I do think there is room to have a bit more UK news on the channel than World previously did. So long as you don't end up with UK news unduly dominating, there are certain types of UK story (major political stories, royal stories, and finallys) that can easily be integrated into the main body of bulletins and I think that an hourly 3/4 minute UK News segment could be used to round up other domestic news stories in a way that doesn't become overly intrusive for the world audience.

One thing I have noted across the first few days is just how erratic the UK-World balance is between shifts. I assume that this partly down to some hours being produced by former NC teams and some by ex-World teams, but it is very odd to have a situation where some are nearly as UK news heavy as an old News channel hour and some that are nearly all international news. While I'm sure that a more stable and reasonable balance will be found once the new channel launches, it's just odd to lurch from one extreme to the other every few hours. I'd've assumed that a compromise smudge would have been agreed across all shifts for the interim period.