Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - TIGHazard - 17-10-2022

(17-10-2022, 05:29 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  Why on earth is BBC World News taking a simulcast of the broadcast of the emergency statements from the House of Commons this afternoon? You could be forgiven for thinking that the merger has happened already.

Isn't BBC WN supposed to be an international news channel, not a news channel broadcast from the UK that's focussed on the intricate details of UK politics?

Speculation online is that something is up. It is very unlike the BBC to simply stay with the commons, during the brexit debates they would cut away as soon as Ian Blackford of the SNP started talking. Yet they have stuck with this for nearly 2 hours now. And like you said, it's being simulcast.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Newsroom - 17-10-2022

(17-10-2022, 05:57 PM)TIGHazard Wrote:  
(17-10-2022, 05:29 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  Why on earth is BBC World News taking a simulcast of the broadcast of the emergency statements from the House of Commons this afternoon? You could be forgiven for thinking that the merger has happened already.

Isn't BBC WN supposed to be an international news channel, not a news channel broadcast from the UK that's focussed on the intricate details of UK politics?

Speculation online is that something is up. It is very unlike the BBC to simply stay with the commons, during the brexit debates they would cut away as soon as Ian Blackford of the SNP started talking. Yet they have stuck with this for nearly 2 hours now. And like you said, it's being simulcast.

Totally agree with you. It is not as someone else mentioned normal for World to stick with this pretty irrelevant story outside of the UK. Something is up for sure. 

Popcorn is at the ready.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 17-10-2022

This is just ridiculous and a major red flag. Just totally unjustifiable for BBC World News to take 2 hours of the House of Commons this afternoon. The Chancellor's u-turns were announced this morning. They are somewhat relevant to international audiences, so it would be fair to even take them live and then cover them as a lead/major story for the rest of the day. But nothing in this afternoon's session was both new and relevant to international viewers, nor was it ever going to be.

Clear now that my initial reaction to the merger - that it would lead to an unsatisfactory smudge that served neither audience - was correct. If this is at all indicative of the editorial decision making on the merged channel, I can't see the advertising revenues staying in the green for long.

(17-10-2022, 05:56 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  UK-centric news was always big on BBC World

Not sure this is really true. It has become more UK-centric in recent years, arguably too much so, but historically BBC World was specifically very non-UK centric - particularly during the 2000s. Indeed, BBC World often won plaudits for its incredibly good balance of international stories and only including UK stories when it was genuinely internationally relevant. And, as I've said before, the notion that some forumers have that BBC World viewers are predominantly people with a keen interest in UK politics just isn't something borne out it any evidence.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Andrew - 17-10-2022

The commons was also being simulcast on BBC Two, and when they left at 5pm, they just crashed out (they did put a caption up), but there was no presenter closing the coverage, they just left half way through someone speaking

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - all new phil - 17-10-2022

Had today happened post-merger, I’d say the best course of action would have been for the UK to take the commons feed live with any pres produced by the Politics Live team, with the rest of the world continuing as normal. Surely a flexible approach is best (and what they’ve said will happen)?

Surprised that WN took it today given they presumably weren’t even simulcasting?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 17-10-2022

(17-10-2022, 06:59 PM)all new phil Wrote:  Had today happened post-merger, I’d say the best course of action would have been for the UK to take the commons feed live with any pres produced by the Politics Live team, with the rest of the world continuing as normal. Surely a flexible approach is best (and what they’ve said will happen)?

But this is the source of my scepticism. A flexible approach post-merger, as you've outlined, would be better and is what they've claimed will happen. Now, I've always been sceptical of this - basically, if you have the resources on standby to do an optional opt at any point, you have the resources to do a permanent opt; therefore, the only reason it's not permanent is because they aren't planning on doing it for anything but pre-planned events. The fact that something like this is happening already, suggests to me that such scepticism is rightly placed.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ALV - 17-10-2022

(17-10-2022, 06:43 PM)DTV Wrote:  Not sure this is really true. It has become more UK-centric in recent years, arguably too much so, but historically BBC World was specifically very non-UK centric - particularly during the 2000s. Indeed, BBC World often won plaudits for its incredibly good balance of international stories and only including UK stories when it was genuinely internationally relevant. And, as I've said before, the notion that some forumers have that BBC World viewers are predominantly people with a keen interest in UK politics just isn't something borne out it any evidence.

Couldn't agree more. The channel is called "BBC WORLD NEWS" for its emphasis on WORLD NEWS. People often compare the channel to Sky News (International) or CNNI but they don't realize the channel is NOT CALLED "BBC News (International)" - it wasn't supposed to be an international variant of the domestic service, it's supposed to be an international service on its own~

But with the recent increased simulcast with the NC on UK politics (even during the Live, Impact, Global branded hours), it does seem the channel is heading towards the "BBC News (International)" route, which I hope is unintentional because the merger proposal was supposed to go the other way around.

harshy - harshy - 17-10-2022

Not sure what happened today but Sally Bundock did an extra hour and Lucy Hockings started earlier as well presenting a normal bbc world news bulletin, maybe a presenter called in ill possibly.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Independent - 18-10-2022

I see nothing wrong with BBC WN carrying the House of Commons statement. The UK is still the world's sixth largest economy. The events of the last few weeks had the potential to start another global financial crisis. It was that severe. The parts of the coverage that were not that relevant for a global audience were more interesting than the increasingly boring US-centric coverage from BBC WN. The BBC have been covering US politics including stories of little interest to a global audience at the expense of other parts of the world in the last few years. The Trump presidency and its aftermath are no excuse for this tilt. I'm dreading what the additional Washington hours will be mean. It would've been better if they shifted to Singapore instead.

That said, the merger is terrible. It's unfortunate the merger couldn't have been contained to weekends only (because a lot of bulletins on WN are only 5 to 10 minutes long).

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Frances - 26-10-2022

(02-10-2022, 03:12 AM)W. Knight Wrote:  
(02-10-2022, 01:23 AM)Frances Wrote:  [color=#333333][font='Open Sans', 'segoe ui', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Does BBC Chinese still have radio output after its Mandarin shortwave service closed? Or they mean the Cantonese show Newsweek 時事一周 which already moved online?[/font][/color]
They don't now, as RTHK banned BBC World Service per the Chinese authority's orders in 2021. Newsweek is their only programming, and the host hinted it's nearing its end:
https://youtu.be/dc1KvajpoMk?t=118 

The last edition of Newsweek will be on 5 November - so is BBC Chinese the first language service affected?