Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Kojak - 08-03-2023

(08-03-2023, 01:28 PM)DTV Wrote:  One thing I have noted across the first few days is just how erratic the UK-World balance is between shifts. I assume that this partly down to some hours being produced by former NC teams and some by ex-World teams, but it is very odd to have a situation where some are nearly as UK news heavy as an old News channel hour and some that are nearly all international news. While I'm sure that a more stable and reasonable balance will be found once the new channel launches, it's just odd to lurch from one extreme to the other every few hours. I'd've assumed that a compromise smudge would have been agreed across all shifts for the interim period.
That’s assuming anything like that has been communicated - which it probably hasn’t! You would think an outfit as big as the BBC would have hashed some editorial guidelines together for the interim - but then equally, you’d be surprised at how slack some of these big corporations are! (Speaking very much from personal experience)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - bbctvtechop - 08-03-2023

(08-03-2023, 01:05 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  The UK steam has split from the main stream for Politics Live.

Interesting that it was widely reported that it wouldn't be possible during the month leading up to the launch
We said "breaking news" wasn't possible. 

Where you have a programme already being made in a separate studio anyway, it's just a flip of a switch to get that onto any network.

Unexpected breaking news requires a spare studio, crew, presenter and editorial team not allocated to anything else.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - oscillon - 08-03-2023

Another incredibly raw moment was at the 11:26 UKT bulletin final, when Shaun Ley interrupted the UK reporter mid-sentence and the whole thing just crashed out straight after it.
https://archive.org/details/BBCNEWS_20230308_100000_BBC_News/start/5160/end/5220 
When Shaun threw back to the correspondent at 11:25, I assume, he could have said something along the lines of "We've got thirty seconds, be brief" to warn the reporter?
Do the World teams usually avoid doing live segments towards the end of the bulletin?

UPD. Lower thirds have gone haywire at 2pm, at least on the NC feed - no lower thirds during headlines, but big headlines' lower thirds after TOTH, as the main bulletin started.
[Image: image.png]

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - bakamann - 08-03-2023

(08-03-2023, 02:51 PM)oscillon Wrote:  UPD. Lower thirds have gone haywire at 2pm, at least on the NC feed - no lower thirds during headlines, but big headlines' lower thirds after TOTH, as the main bulletin started.
BBC World News also having lower third graphics issues a few minutes ago, with the flipper using the "bbc.com/news" filler, but looks like its working again with a functioning flipper.

EDIT: Spoke too soon. Graphic issues continue.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - EverythingFavs - 08-03-2023

(08-03-2023, 02:51 PM)oscillon Wrote:  Another incredibly raw moment was at the 11:26 UKT bulletin final, when Shaun Ley interrupted the UK reporter mid-sentence and the whole thing just crashed out straight after it.
https://archive.org/details/BBCNEWS_20230308_100000_BBC_News/start/5160/end/5220 
When Shaun threw back to the correspondent at 11:25, I assume, he could have said something along the lines of "We've got thirty seconds, be brief" to warn the reporter?
Do the World teams usually avoid doing live segments towards the end of the bulletin?

UPD. Lower thirds have gone haywire at 2pm, at least on the NC feed - no lower thirds during headlines, but big headlines' lower thirds after TOTH, as the main bulletin started.
Yeah, no ticker on WBR either. No Headline Aston stripe aswell...

[Image: vlcsnap-2023-03-08-14h30m47s559.png][Image: vlcsnap-2023-03-08-14h34m09s361.png?widt...height=676]

(08-03-2023, 03:36 PM)EverythingFavs Wrote:  
(08-03-2023, 02:51 PM)oscillon Wrote:  Another incredibly raw moment was at the 11:26 UKT bulletin final, when Shaun Ley interrupted the UK reporter mid-sentence and the whole thing just crashed out straight after it.

Yeah, no ticker on WBR either. No Headline Aston stripe aswell...

[Image: vlcsnap-2023-03-08-14h30m47s559.png][Image: vlcsnap-2023-03-08-14h34m09s361.png?widt...height=676]

Update: it is now fixed![Image: vlcsnap-2023-03-08-15h00m22s006.png][Image: vlcsnap-2023-03-08-15h02m06s217.png?widt...height=676]

[Image: vlcsnap-2023-03-08-15h02m22s711.png?widt...height=676]

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - damian - 08-03-2023

(08-03-2023, 11:19 AM)Radio_man Wrote:  An unpopular opinion here no doubt, but since this 'merger' was announced and it became clear that World News would undoubtedly win out over the domestic NC, I've been of the view that the NC should just be replaced in the UK with the full World News channel. And by full - I mean ALL of it. So UK viewers would get what viewers in the Republic of Ireland and across Europe get. No opts for Breakfast, the 1, 6 & 10 or Nicky Campbell (roll eyes).

The only UK story in the 9am half hour today was the illegal immigration bill. There's also significant UK news today with the weather (yes I know, but snow in Britain is a big deal) and the rail strikes being called off, but neither was mentioned.

At least if a channel called BBC World News was being fully broadcast in the UK, viewers would know what to expect. Any significant UK breaking news could be covered live as a pop-up stream on the BBC news app, website and iPlayer. And even BBC 2 daytimes could be broken into, as that now is just the news channel until lunchtime and then repeats until the evening.

(Ducks and runs for cover)
Thank you, I my self have to wanted to say something like this too but afraid of the back lash!

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - eyeTV - 08-03-2023

People have been saying just broadcast BBC World in the UK since these plans were announced, it's not a particularly unpopular view on here. The halfway house is problematic but is probably there to appease Ofcom.

This person looks like Lucy Hockings, and standing right by the computer...

Could this be Lucy rehearsing for a new programme?
 [Image: Screenshot_51.png?width=488&height=293]

https://twitter.com/bbcbenthompson/status/1633160256023851023 

Shows a computer with 'With Lucy' next to it.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - GraemeT88 - 08-03-2023

Why does every hour have to be the same? If an hour where there’s less world viewers - what’s wrong with more uk?

On an hour of prime world viewership - why not go heavy there?

Rolling news can be tedious - every hour having different slants provides for more and enhanced insight?