Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

Newshound47 - Newshound47 - 08-03-2023

(08-03-2023, 05:29 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  People have been saying just broadcast BBC World in the UK since these plans were announced, it's not a particularly unpopular view on here. The halfway house is problematic but is probably there to appease Ofcom.

and the press.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - thevaran - 08-03-2023

(08-03-2023, 01:07 PM)bakamann Wrote:  Someone uploaded an intro of BBC Focus on Africa from yesterday, which was recorded from The Africa Channel in the United States. Looks like its operating as usual, including the lower-thirds, but only has the "bbc.com/news" filler on the flipper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHNJ8GT9l9U 

EDIT: @EverythingFavs is here lmao

I hope Focus on Africa comes back to BBC (World) News, but in the Africa region only.

Repeat it several times during the day on half hours, but again in Africa only.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - pc55 - 08-03-2023

The BBC News channel is history now for me.  It's been getting progressively worse over maybe the last year, with less and less actual news being broadcast; it's seen an increasing number of prerecorded programmes being broadcast, and I for one am sick of seeing the same programmes 2,3,4 and more times in a 24-hour period.

UK-specific news is almost non-existent now, and ironically has been replaced with BBC World News, a channel I used to watch via other satellites a few years ago as we weren't allowed to watch it here in the UK - now we're being force-fed it.

No thanks.

I have no plans to watch the BBC News channel again, and have even removed it from my Favourites list.

Sad how such a once great organisation has fallen to pieces in full public view.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - bakamann - 08-03-2023

(08-03-2023, 05:56 PM)thevaran Wrote:  
(08-03-2023, 01:07 PM)bakamann Wrote:  Someone uploaded an intro of BBC Focus on Africa from yesterday, which was recorded from The Africa Channel in the United States. Looks like its operating as usual, including the lower-thirds, but only has the "bbc.com/news" filler on the flipper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHNJ8GT9l9U 

EDIT: @EverythingFavs is here lmao

I hope Focus on Africa comes back to BBC (World) News, but in the Africa region only.

Repeat it several times during the day on half hours, but again in Africa only.

Reminds me of how Asia Today was during the pre-NBH days, airing multiple times in the morning.

I kinda wish that BBC News could have created a "Focus on Africa" counterpart for Asia, since DW-TV currently has "DW News Asia" as their daily Asia-centric news show.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 08-03-2023

(08-03-2023, 05:38 PM)GraemeT88 Wrote:  Why does every hour have to be the same? If an hour where there’s less world viewers - what’s wrong with more uk?

On an hour of prime world viewership - why not go heavy there?

Rolling news can be tedious - every hour having different slants provides for more and enhanced insight?
It's not that there is anything wrong with different slants in different hours, BBC World News has, after all, long shifted its focus to different regions throughout the day depending on which parts of the world are in breakfast or evening peak. It's just that, at the minute, the differing between UK-heavy, world-heavy and in-between hours is seemingly random and not all advertised.

Plus, of course, there is the weird fact that they've decided that on the new channel the least used World hours, where you could reasonably fit in more UK content, will be a UK opt-out to show Nicky Campbell - something I don't think anybody has actually asked for.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ALV - 08-03-2023

(08-03-2023, 06:30 PM)bakamann Wrote:  Reminds me of how Asia Today was during the pre-NBH days, airing multiple times in the morning.

I kinda wish that BBC News could have created a "Focus on Africa" counterpart for Asia, since DW-TV currently "DW News Asia" as their Asia-centric news show.

Isn't Impact, Newsday (and Asia Business Report) supposed to be their Asia-centric news show?

The programme description for Impact back in 2019 is phrased like this:
[Image: eeb593797eaa796c7cea628c1487bb8b.png]

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - pc55 - 08-03-2023

(08-03-2023, 06:30 PM)DTV Wrote:  Plus, of course, there is the weird fact that they've decided that on the new channel the least used World hours, where you could reasonably fit in more UK content, will be a UK opt-out to show Nicky Campbell - something I don't think anybody has actually asked for.

I can't stand him.  He somehow always manages to bring any topic around to his native Scotland, and comes across as a right know-all.

Bad enough putting him on the News channel, but it's also on BBC2 as well.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - thevaran - 08-03-2023

(08-03-2023, 06:30 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(08-03-2023, 05:38 PM)GraemeT88 Wrote:  Why does every hour have to be the same? If an hour where there’s less world viewers - what’s wrong with more uk?

On an hour of prime world viewership - why not go heavy there?

Rolling news can be tedious - every hour having different slants provides for more and enhanced insight?
It's not that there is anything wrong with different slants in different hours, BBC World News has, after all, long shifted its focus to different regions throughout the day depending on which parts of the world are in breakfast or evening peak. It's just that, at the minute, the differing between UK-heavy, world-heavy and in-between hours is seemingly random and not all advertised.

Plus, of course, there is the weird fact that they've decided that on the new channel the least used World hours, where you could reasonably fit in more UK content, will be a UK opt-out to show Nicky Campbell - something I don't think anybody has actually asked for.

I agree. Put Nicky Campbell live on BBC Two but not on BBC News. 
I suspect they want him to go up against Jeremy Vine on Channel 5, which is almost like a radio show.

In France, M6 simulcasts a radio show in the late mornings, with RTL on radio.
[size=1]In[/size]
[size=1]Nicky Campbell [/size] [size=1]Nicky Campbell [/size]

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - bakamann - 08-03-2023

BBC News at Six putting Gary Lineker as their top headline of their primetime news bulletin feels like more of a waste of licence fee money.

At least, BBCWN putting it as a side-note to the UK migration law story.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - bbctvtechop - 08-03-2023

(08-03-2023, 07:17 PM)bakamann Wrote:  BBC News at Six putting Gary Lineker as their top headline of their primetime news bulletin feels like more of a waste of licence fee money.

At least, BBCWN putting it as a side-note to the UK migration law story.
It asks deep questions about free speech, employment rights and social media's rise in society. These things are pretty global in 2023. It's a big story in my opinion. Plus BBC News gets off on reporting bad news for the BBC!