Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Roger Darthwell - 09-03-2023

(09-03-2023, 02:50 AM)Independent Wrote:  
(08-03-2023, 12:18 PM)bakamann Wrote:  Actually, I kinda wanna ask this for a while, but I was wondering if the CBC-style funding for BBC News would be feasible or not?

I believe national and local newscasts of CBC Canada are still publicly funded (partially, in a way), but I think CBC News Network is funded through advertisers and subscription?
As a Canadian the CBC model is a disaster.

Why it's a disaster?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ViridianFan - 09-03-2023

Thinking aloud so don’t come after me with pitch forks! 

Someone was saying about making the news channel purely BBC world and remove the UK opt-out then if needed break into the BBC One or BBC two schedule. 

I was wondering the other day how much BBC Two daytime costs at the moment. Recently it’s been simulcast of the news channel, politics live in the morning and then loads of repeats in the afternoon. 

I wondered if there was any milage in replacing BBC two day time with news or 30mins rolling news bulletins. So top of the hour till half past you’d have a more rolling news type bulletin and then from half past to top of the hour a program or do an hour block.  You could still break for politics live. You wouldn’t need it between 1-2 due to BBC One having the network news. 

To me it would solve a few problems 
1) It would stop complaints about world having too much UK focused stories and the risk of advertisers pulling out and allows world to be a world news channel. 

2) uk viewers would still be receiving uk focused rolling news instead of an opt-out 

3) it would most likely satisfy Ofcom in relation to the amount of UK focuses new content 

4) it would provide BBC Two day times a purpose instead of what can often fill like filling during the day until the evening programming kicks in. Making it a news and politics service during the day time.  

I will flag again, I am just a viewer so no clue what these cost to run but it was something i had pondered and thought I would share.  I’m now coming to hide behind the table with you two from the other day!

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Edcanada - 09-03-2023

(09-03-2023, 03:20 PM)Roger Darthwell Wrote:  
(09-03-2023, 02:50 AM)Independent Wrote:  As a Canadian the CBC model is a disaster.

Why it's a disaster?

I don't think the CBC model is a complete disaster. Almost all of its services are either highly rated (eg. CBC Radio One, Radio-Canada Premiere, Radio-Canada Tele) or have found their niche and serve their purpose. CBC's English TV service is severely floundering in terms of ratings and relevance in comparison to the other services it offers, and that service gets the bulk of the criticism and reasoning as to why CBC should be defunded. We also don't have a TV license fee here, CBC gets a direct $1.5B subsidy from the Federal government, and that may fluctuate depending on who is in power. So they have to rely on TV advertising on both the English and French main TV networks, and on CBC.ca.

Also, everything the CBC does is for Canadians. They don't have a global-facing commercial news channel that they need to take in consideration of when it comes to news coverage. Sure, there's a lot of content from CBC News that's available to a worldwide audience, but they're not concerned about someone in Asia being turned off by a completely Canadian running order on The National or CBC News Network.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - interestednovice - 09-03-2023

(09-03-2023, 04:50 PM)ViridianFan Wrote:  Thinking aloud so don’t come after me with pitch forks! 

Someone was saying about making the news channel purely BBC world and remove the UK opt-out then if needed break into the BBC One or BBC two schedule. 

I was wondering the other day how much BBC Two daytime costs at the moment. Recently it’s been simulcast of the news channel, politics live in the morning and then loads of repeats in the afternoon. 

I wondered if there was any milage in replacing BBC two day time with news or 30mins rolling news bulletins. So top of the hour till half past you’d have a more rolling news type bulletin and then from half past to top of the hour a program or do an hour block.  You could still break for politics live. You wouldn’t need it between 1-2 due to BBC One having the network news. 

1) It would stop complaints about world having too much UK focused stories and the risk of advertisers pulling out and allows world to be a world news channel. 

2) uk viewers would still be receiving uk focused rolling news instead of an opt-out 

3) it would most likely satisfy Ofcom in relation to the amount of UK focuses new content 

4) it would provide BBC Two day times a purpose instead of what can often fill like filling during the day until the evening programming kicks in. Making it a news and politics service during the day time.  

I will flag again, I am just a viewer so no clue what these cost to run but it was something i had pondered and thought I would share.  I’m now coming to hide behind the table with you two from the other day!
I think the issue is, as you’ve already alluded to, BBC Two itself has almost no budget at all.

Could they really afford “extended” opts on BBC Two (paid for by BBC Two), when the previous status quo was already that the NC and BBC Two both made a shared budgetary contribution to the morning NC hours - and they obviously couldn’t afford that, hence the merger.

The proposed opts seem to be more “drop in and out” rather than full scheduled bulletins, which editorially might not be seen as acceptable on BBC Two.

All of that said, personally I’d prefer your suggestion to the current proposals though.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Radio_man - 09-03-2023

(09-03-2023, 04:50 PM)ViridianFan Wrote:  Thinking aloud so don’t come after me with pitch forks! 

What you've more or less described though is the weekday daytime UK only NC programming that we had on the NC until last Friday. Considering it's been decided that there's not even enough money to have a core UK-only News Channel, during 9am - 6pm Monday - Friday, with a World simulcast the rest of the time, I can't see how your proposals for daytime BBC 2 are any different.

What I would say though, is stick Nicky Campbell on BBC 2, and for viewers who want proper news coverage between 9-11am, keep him off the new news channel.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ginnyfan - 09-03-2023

Maybe it's just the low camera angle, but is that old Outside Source corner always so blue? Possibly some rehearsals there as well?

[Image: vlcsnap-00001.jpg]

[Image: vlcsnap-00005.jpg]

[Image: vlcsnap-00015.jpg]

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - London Lite - 09-03-2023

(09-03-2023, 06:15 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  What I would say though, is stick Nicky Campbell on BBC 2, and for viewers who want proper news coverage between 9-11am, keep him off the new news channel.

People were saying the same thing about the Victoria Derbyshire show which was simulcast on the NC.

They could just about justify adding that format to the NC, but a radio phone-in is a harder one to justify.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - interestednovice - 09-03-2023

Yes, I was initially critical of the Victoria Derbyshire programme’s original format, which made it unsuitable in my view. It didn’t have proper headlines and that was a major problem.

Later on, they added a news summary and became more willing to drop their pre-planned features to cover breaking news (even having a breaking news variant of their own graphics) so it was much more suitable towards the end.

Nicky Campbell’s show is totally inappropriate, there is absolutely no way around that. I won’t be moved from my position that it’s wholly unsuitable on any BBC News channel.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Worzel - 09-03-2023

I haven't posted since the Monday join up fully began but I have caught some of the output.

What I saw at around 3pm today was very much a 'mixed bag'. There's also issues with how some of the stories are scripted or where the scripts have been lifted from.

When I was watching they covered HS2, the UK snow and another story about childcare costs in Britain.

The HS2 story was clearly written for a 'World' audience as it went into microscopic detail about where the HS2 line would run 'in England' and where say Oxford was in relation to London. If that was going out last week on news channel, it's unlikely the presenter would've gone into that much detail. There were also references to 'the UK government'. They interviewed a guest and he was intro'd and astoned as 'xxx joins us from Oxford in the UK/Oxford, UK).

The next story was either lifted from the One or written for a UK audience only and covered the snow. The presenter detailed the locations where the snow was. They mentioned Penrith, Flintshire and Powys with no reference about the last 2 of those locations being in Wales. They crossed to a reporter 'in the North of England' - turned out he was in Cumbria and went on to mention a couple of other locations which most of the World audience watching wouldn't have had a clue where they were.

The children's story referenced 'the UK government' and other terms which wouldn't have been included on the News channel only.

So, mixed in with the running order difficulties there's also lurches in the scripting (or it not being tweaked) which is quite jarring too.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Newsroom - 09-03-2023

(09-03-2023, 08:08 PM)London Lite Wrote:  
(09-03-2023, 06:15 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  What I would say though, is stick Nicky Campbell on BBC 2, and for viewers who want proper news coverage between 9-11am, keep him off the new news channel.

People were saying the same thing about the Victoria Derbyshire show which was simulcast on the NC.

They could just about justify adding that format to the NC, but a radio phone-in is a harder one to justify.
LOL!!!

OS is always Blue when it's not from the place it should be. 

I really wouldn't read too much into that at all. 

OS is blue period since it lost the elements that made it 'Outside Source'. It's just a name these days. A bore.