Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - TheJarv - 09-03-2023

That's what I have picked up on even the UK stories sometimes have a world slant, is not great is it.  It also seems very serious now as well, the humour we sometimes had on the News Channel has gone

i've had SKY news on this week, been impressed with some of their output

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ginnyfan - 09-03-2023

(09-03-2023, 09:51 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  
(09-03-2023, 08:08 PM)London Lite Wrote:  People were saying the same thing about the Victoria Derbyshire show which was simulcast on the NC.

They could just about justify adding that format to the NC, but a radio phone-in is a harder one to justify.
LOL!!!

OS is always Blue when it's not from the place it should be. 

I really wouldn't read too much into that at all. 

OS is blue period since it lost the elements that made it 'Outside Source'. It's just a name these days. A bore.

It's been a pointless program for a while. Not sure why they insist on keeping it's bland branding, even now. Looking forward to it becoming BBC News.

Meanwhile, Yalda posted this. Are they above studio E?

[Image: Screenshot-165.png]

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Newsroom - 09-03-2023

(09-03-2023, 09:58 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  
(09-03-2023, 09:51 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  LOL!!!

OS is always Blue when it's not from the place it should be. 

I really wouldn't read too much into that at all. 

OS is blue period since it lost the elements that made it 'Outside Source'. It's just a name these days. A bore.

It's been a pointless program for a while. Not sure why they insist on keeping it's bland branding, even now. Looking forward to it becoming BBC News.

Meanwhile, Yalda posted this. Are they above studio E?

[Image: Screenshot-165.png]
'Pointless' - How utterly perfect!

I wonder why they keep it going under such a  ''pointless' guise?

If it's to keep its current guise then let's hope it faces the axe come April. 

'Pointless' Indeed

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - oscillon - 09-03-2023

(09-03-2023, 09:58 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  It's been a pointless program for a while. Not sure why they insist on keeping it's bland branding, even now. Looking forward to it becoming BBC News.
In my view, OS is a little different in pace than a generic bulletin, with more short visual inserts and recorded clips during the anchor's report than in a generic BBC News bulletin (where it is usually just the anchor doing the intro to a story, then crossing either to a reporter or a guest interview).

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Kojak - 09-03-2023

NC is taking the first few minutes of World News America (as the Ten is tonight actually the Five Past Ten).

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - oscillon - 09-03-2023

(09-03-2023, 11:03 PM)Kojak Wrote:  NC is taking the first few minutes of World News America (as the Ten is tonight actually the Five Past Ten).

Wow, as of late it is unusual for Ten to be delayed, I assume it is because of Eurovision insert at around 8pm... Not sure that they gonna opt back for the Ten.

Next week WNA will air in full at 9pm - clock changing once again!

UPD. Yes, NC did not opt out when the Ten started, just going on with World News America.

They don't seem to be opting back for the Ten (would be very messy, I'd have thought). Still hopefully no guide dogs tonight, then.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 09-03-2023

(09-03-2023, 10:18 PM)oscillon Wrote:  In my view, OS is a little different in pace than a generic bulletin, with more short visual inserts and recorded clips during the anchor's report than in a generic BBC News bulletin (where it is usually just the anchor doing the intro to a story, then crossing either to a reporter or a guest interview).
Outside Source works when it is Atkins doing his analytical explainers, otherwise it doesn't work as a separate brand as it is just a presentationally duller news bulletin. Given Atkins' explainers are pretty much the sole innovative news format the BBC have and which has had social media traction, the BBC would be idiotic to ditch them, but given that he so rarely presents Outside Source anymore it is probably better that they axed the programme and instead had him pop up to do explainers on a more ad hoc basis, possibly within one of the planned new branded programmes.

(09-03-2023, 09:52 PM)TheJarv Wrote:  That's what I have picked up on even the UK stories sometimes have a world slant, is not great is it.  It also seems very serious now as well, the humour we sometimes had on the News Channel has gone
If you're broadcasting to an international audience, a UK story has to have some context provided for them. One thing that does get people to switch over when watching news is that they don't understand what is being talked about - giving world viewers stories that they have no frame of reference for is only going to alienate them, which, of course, has financial implications. Ultimately, international viewers will be far more willing to put up with greater UK news if they can understand it.

harshy - harshy - 09-03-2023

(09-03-2023, 11:19 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(09-03-2023, 10:18 PM)oscillon Wrote:  In my view, OS is a little different in pace than a generic bulletin, with more short visual inserts and recorded clips during the anchor's report than in a generic BBC News bulletin (where it is usually just the anchor doing the intro to a story, then crossing either to a reporter or a guest interview).
Outside Source works when it is Atkins doing his analytical explainers, otherwise it doesn't work as a separate brand as it is just a presentationally duller news bulletin. Given Atkins' explainers are pretty much the sole innovative news format the BBC have and which has had social media traction, the BBC would be idiotic to ditch them, but given that he so rarely presents Outside Source anymore it is probably better that they axed the programme and instead had him pop up to do explainers on a more ad hoc basis, possibly within one of the planned new branded programmes.

(09-03-2023, 09:52 PM)TheJarv Wrote:  That's what I have picked up on even the UK stories sometimes have a world slant, is not great is it.  It also seems very serious now as well, the humour we sometimes had on the News Channel has gone
If you're broadcasting to an international audience, a UK story has to have some context provided for them. One thing that does get people to switch over when watching news is that they don't understand what is being talked about - giving world viewers stories that they have no frame of reference for is only going to alienate them, which, of course, has financial implications. Ultimately, international viewers will be far more willing to put up with greater UK news if they can understand it.

Outside Source became boring as soon as it lost its touchscreen and the fact that the bbc had many sources to draw stories from, which was what the original was very good at originally.

(09-03-2023, 11:09 PM)Kojak Wrote:  Still hopefully no guide dogs tonight, then.

Spoke too soon. That's FOUR nights on the trot. Getting just a little ridiculous, now.