Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: harshy - matthieu1221 - 10-03-2023

(10-03-2023, 12:40 AM)Scratch_Perry Wrote:  
(09-03-2023, 11:49 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  I agree that the original concept of Outside Source, ironically, was far more innovative. It also fit the name far better.

On the point about context to news for World viewers: good point, however to an extent the reverse it also true - British viewers will be irritated by constant explanations of where Warwickshire is and how the “UK Finance Minister” is called the Chancellor, so will quickly switch away if things get too international. This is party what I meant before when I was saying that it’s impossible to satisfy both audiences. Financially, the WN audience is by far the most important but the BBC must also be seen to do enough for British viewers by Ofcom and the press, so it has no choice really but the unsatisfying fudge we are now seeing.

There is nothing wrong with “proper” WN if that’s what the audience is expecting, though. But it wouldn’t allow the BBC to claim that it’s “not closing the NC”!

Or the Home Secretary being called the "UK Interior Minister"...
If they really are doing that, that is really wacky.

I don't think other international news channels (never recalled it being the case on CNN for instance), or even many domestic news channels abroad which change around the titles unless it's a translation. Same goes for the Chancellor of the Exchequer.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - interestednovice - 10-03-2023

(10-03-2023, 02:02 AM)Worzel Wrote:  
(10-03-2023, 01:31 AM)interestednovice Wrote:  Even for British viewers though, the “editorial whiplash” is a problem, and risks being very confusing to WN viewers as you say.

I’m not convinced there is a way around it. Long explainers, as you say, would work - but at the expense of the pacing of the channel; we are constantly hearing how everyone has a short attention span these days so that would surely be detrimental to viewership as people would get bored and switch off!
It's a consistency issue that they're going to have to grapple with and find a solution to because as we both agree, it's like watching a round a tennis at Wimbledon. 

UK viewers don't really need a geography lesson and to be told that Birmingham is a city in England, with a map of where Birmingham is, likewise World News viewers don't really need to be told what county it's in and how far away it is from London to the nearest mile.

In terms of the other point being discussed re. how you describe 'Chancellor of the Exchequer', it's simple, Jeremy Hunt is the Chancellor of the Exchequer, nothing else. There's always context about money/the economy etc to go with the story so you don't need to say UK Finance Minister. We don't hear Germany's Chancellor described as 'Germany's President' and I've never heard the BBC describe the Irish Taoiseach as 'Ireland's head of government' when I've watched World News.
I absolutely agree with you!

Just use the “correct” terms, as with the debate about devolved matters, treat the viewers as adults - and if they don’t get it, it’s easy to look these things up!

RE: harshy - Worzel - 10-03-2023

(10-03-2023, 02:20 AM)matthieu1221 Wrote:  
(10-03-2023, 12:40 AM)Scratch_Perry Wrote:  Or the Home Secretary being called the "UK Interior Minister"...
If they really are doing that, that is really wacky.

I don't think other international news channels (never recalled it being the case on CNN for instance), or even many domestic news channels abroad which change around the titles unless it's a translation. Same goes for the Chancellor of the Exchequer.
Pretty sure I did hear a presenter say words that effect over the last few days, I think it was 'Britain's Interior Minister' though.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - thevaran - 10-03-2023

(09-03-2023, 04:50 PM)ViridianFan Wrote:  1) It would stop complaints about world having too much UK focused stories and the risk of advertisers pulling out and allows world to be a world news channel. 

Has anyone ever complained about BBC (World) News having too much UK focused stories?

I would say that many world viewers want more UK content.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - thevaran - 10-03-2023

(09-03-2023, 01:25 PM)Kojak Wrote:  
(16-08-2022, 01:57 PM)Keith Wrote:  Arguably if they were to move Newsnight to a 10.45pm (as per lockdown) then it could finish at 11.30pm. This would give a cleaner join with the (international) BBC News schedule. Whilst this would leave a 15 minute gap between the Ten and Newsnight this could potentially be filled with a sports bulletin, as currently there are sport updates overnight on World News.

Was going through the thread and found this post. I think this could work - it would certainly be better than that guide dogs feature being repeated EVERY night. I get that it's an interim arrangement, but surely it's a bit slack?!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Newsnight on the new world facing channel.
Newsnight would be a perfect fit for the European late-night schedule.
10:35 is an excellent starting time, as they can show a few minutes af adverts before it.
Half hour repeats of Newsnight on the weekend.

Do we know if Laura Kuenssberg's Sunday show will be on BBC (World) News?
Some weeks it's already been simulcast on WN.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Independent - 10-03-2023

(09-03-2023, 03:20 PM)Roger Darthwell Wrote:  Why it's a disaster?
Too much disruptive advertising. The quality of content is awful compared to what the BBC does.
(09-03-2023, 05:01 PM)Edcanada Wrote:  Also, everything the CBC does is for Canadians. They don't have a global-facing commercial news channel that they need to take in consideration of when it comes to news coverage. Sure, there's a lot of content from CBC News that's available to a worldwide audience, but they're not concerned about someone in Asia being turned off by a completely Canadian running order on The National or CBC News Network.
But that's because Canada isn't a global power. The BBC is soft power for the UK. The BBC has prestige and a history of being a leader around the world. Which is all the more perplexing why the UK government is self-sabotaging itself.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - neonemesis - 10-03-2023

(10-03-2023, 01:00 AM)dvboy Wrote:  
(10-03-2023, 12:53 AM)Radio_man Wrote:  The new joint service doesn't have any hope of getting devolved government in the UK correct. Eg. Steve Barclay is the Health Secretary for England, not the UK Health Secretary, but you can guarantee that he'll be wrongly referred to as the UK Health Secretary.
Same goes for Education Secretary, Transport Secretary, and any area of government that's devolved to Scotland, Wales & NI, who all have their own ministers responsible for these areas of devolved government.

But the News Channel couldn't even get devolution right when it was just broadcasting in the UK, so trying to explain the UK complicated system of devolved government to the rest of the world.............

I don't see why they can't get it right - it would also benefit domestic viewers if Steve Barclay was referred to as "England's Health Secretary".

That said, I do wonder why they treat viewers like they don't have access to google and can't look up something they don't understand (like Chancellor of the Exchequer). CNN doesn't seem to have this problem when it comes to US officials.

Not quite that simple. In the Barclay example he is a Secretary of State within the UK Government. A member of the Cabinet of the UK Government. There is no English government or ministerial roles defined for England, even though that is the extent of his territorial jurisdiction. So it can be argued that it is legitimate (albeit unhelpfully vague) to refer to him as the UK Health Secretary.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Newshound47 - 10-03-2023

And there are a few responsibilities and departments that are UK wide that the Westminster Health Secretary has to oversee.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Brekkie - 10-03-2023

And although health for example is devolved the decisions made at Westminster still impact on the service in Wales (and presumably Scotland and NI) for example with the Barnett formula meaning any new money announced for England then feeds through to the devolved budgets too.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - bakamann - 10-03-2023

Who is this presenter for World Business Report?

[Image: Screenshot-20230310-194416-Firefox.jpg]