Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Kojak - 10-03-2023

(10-03-2023, 06:56 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  By now, World viewers must think Lineker is the best known, most important living person in the UK.
I think UK viewers would get that idea, never mind World viewers! Honestly, it's been completely blown out of proportion (but that's a discussion for the Lineker thread, not here).

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - qwerty123 - 10-03-2023

(10-03-2023, 06:53 PM)gav Wrote:  The channel is currently covering the breaking Lineker story. Surely this isn’t going out on World? If not, how are they opting out if they supposedly are unable to currently do so?

This is a story with a much higher relevance to world viewers than it first appears. Somehow a story that should be about somebody being disciplined for refusing to apologise for distasteful posts on social media (it is entirely possible to criticise the government without resorting to the comparisons Lineker has made (which are largely inaccurate in any case)) has been turned into a story (largely by those who live in an echo chamber and don’t think opinions that differ from their own should be given any airtime) about the impartiality of the BBC and press freedoms.
Any story that multiple usually reputable people claim undermines the impartiality of a major international news organisation is going to be one of large scale international importance.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - AJB39 - 10-03-2023

Freed from the simulcast World led with the UK/France summit in their 6 pm GMT bulletin.

Edit: World have mentioned the Lineker story now 15 minutes into the bulletin.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Newsroom - 10-03-2023

How on earth can this new service even become a reality?

Celia Hatton is presenting the 7pm GMT hour on an evening when regardless of how you deem your news values - at home in the UK - the Linekar/BBC story is the biggest story period! It is leading on the Linekar story!!!!

Ridiculous! Who the F£(K cares outside of the UK???

This is of NO relevance to anyone outside of the UK.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - qwerty123 - 10-03-2023

(10-03-2023, 08:22 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  How on earth can this new service even become a reality?

Celia Hatton is presenting the 7pm GMT hour on an evening when regardless of how you deem your news values - at home in the UK - the Linekar/BBC story is the biggest story period! It is leading on the Linekar story!!!!

Ridiculous! Who the F£(K cares outside of the UK???

This is of NO relevance to anyone outside of the UK.

Sorry, but it’s a sad day when somebody’s ill informed social media posts is considered bigger news than the government chucking half a billion at a foreign country.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 10-03-2023

It's a bit ridiculous, even more so when you consider that this is something that has been supposedly planned for at least a year. I don't want to go full 'armchair editor', but I really feel that I could have come up with a better set of editorial rules for how the running order on the merged channel should work in an afternoon on the back of an envelope. What on Earth have the executives been doing for a year?

And yes, this is an 'interim' service and presumably (we hope) things will work better once the full merged service is launched in April. But this week has been so inconsistent and, at times, like this afternoon and evening, downright baffling. I don't want to impinge anybody's professional judgement, but I just don't understand how any news editor could think this is a suitable lead story for an international news channel.

But the most bizarre thing is, the two channels have had some simulcasts since the second day of BBC News 24 and, for a long time, were very good at striking an appropriate balance during those simulcasts. Which just makes it all the more amazing that seemingly no rules have been set out on how this should all work.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Kojak - 10-03-2023

One thing I don't quite get is this: the 5pm GMT hour is presented by (and AIUI also produced by) the same people who do the One. World goes separate for the 1pm hour in Studio C. Is there any particular reason why, instead of the One team coming back for an hour at 5, they couldn't simply stay on in E (and World in C) until, say, 4pm (as they did during the first lockdown) for a couple more hours of UK-only news? I know similar solutions were suggested multiple times in the run up to this merger, and it would seem to me to make much more sense than what is currently done.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Andrew - 10-03-2023

If all this Gary Lineker business had broken in a months time, would the so called UK Breaking News team have come into action and broken into the main feed

I guess not, it’s hardly that sort of breaking news, meaning the coverage would be exactly the same as now

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 10-03-2023

(10-03-2023, 08:50 PM)Kojak Wrote:  One thing I don't quite get is this: the 5pm GMT hour is presented by (and AIUI also produced by) the same people who do the One. World goes separate for the 1pm hour in Studio C. Is there any particular reason why the One team couldn't simply stay on until, say, 4pm (as they did during the first lockdown) for a couple more hours of UK-only news? I know similar solutions were suggested multiple times in the run up to this merger, and it would seem to me to make much more sense than what is currently done.
Absolutely, it would be eminently sensible and would not be the only way of squeezing out a bit more UK-only output using domestic teams. While, yes we have to see what the UK-opt and wider finished product is like in practice first, the fact that (fairly obvious) compromise solutions like that were avoided - even for the interim period - does have a real 'cutting off your nose to spite your face' vibe to it.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Newsroom - 10-03-2023

(10-03-2023, 09:01 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(10-03-2023, 08:50 PM)Kojak Wrote:  One thing I don't quite get is this: the 5pm GMT hour is presented by (and AIUI also produced by) the same people who do the One. World goes separate for the 1pm hour in Studio C. Is there any particular reason why the One team couldn't simply stay on until, say, 4pm (as they did during the first lockdown) for a couple more hours of UK-only news? I know similar solutions were suggested multiple times in the run up to this merger, and it would seem to me to make much more sense than what is currently done.
Absolutely, it would be eminently sensible and would not be the only way of squeezing out a bit more UK-only output using domestic teams. While, yes we have to see what the UK-opt and wider finished product is like in practice first, the fact that (fairly obvious) compromise solutions like that were avoided - even for the interim period - does have a real 'cutting off your nose to spite your face' vibe to it.
It's a disaster during this period, plain and simple. 

The more it happens the more OFCOM will need to intervene. 

The BBC have provided ZERO transparency and should ultimately crash and burn. 

Yes my comments are harsh, but I am sick and tired of the nonsense and continuing rigmarole and drama that keeps coming in waves and waves since TIM DAVIE took charge.