Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - W. Knight - 26-10-2022

(02-10-2022, 03:12 AM)W. Knight Wrote:  
(02-10-2022, 01:23 AM)Frances Wrote:  [color=#333333][font='Open Sans', 'segoe ui', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Does BBC Chinese still have radio output after its Mandarin shortwave service closed? Or they mean the Cantonese show Newsweek 時事一周 which already moved online?[/font][/color]
They don't now, as RTHK banned BBC World Service per the Chinese authority's orders in 2021. Newsweek is their only programming, and the host hinted it's nearing its end.
It's official. The Cantonese podcast is ending on 5/11:
[Image: 313090750_6250023408347610_5730660948273...e=635EF932]
(Unofficial translation: Due to the corporate restructuring of the BBC, Newsweek Cantonese is ending after the 5/11/2022 episode. Thank you to all the old friends and new acquaintances for your support. BBC News Chinese will continue to provide Cantonese audio-visual content from time to time, so please like and subscribe to our social media platforms for the latest news and information.)
(and yes, they're still on the ancient Gill Sans branding)

Edit: Didn't see Frances' update on the topic on the previous page - I think it's the first blood, afaik.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ALV - 27-10-2022

(26-10-2022, 05:41 PM)W. Knight Wrote:  
(02-10-2022, 03:12 AM)W. Knight Wrote:  They don't now, as RTHK banned BBC World Service per the Chinese authority's orders in 2021. Newsweek is their only programming, and the host hinted it's nearing its end.
It's official. The Cantonese podcast is ending on 5/11:

(Unofficial translation: Due to the corporate restructuring of the BBC, Newsweek Cantonese is ending after the 5/11/2022 episode. Thank you to all the old friends and new acquaintances for your support. BBC News Chinese will continue to provide Cantonese audio-visual content from time to time, so please like and subscribe to our social media platforms for the latest news and information.)
(and yes, they're still on the ancient Gill Sans branding)

I like how they intentionally took a photo of the "Hong Kong" inscription (still in Gill Sans!) of one of the stone flags outside the entrance of NBH. Who knows what does that implies haha...

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Radio_man - 07-12-2022

It seems to have all gone quiet on the merger front. Has the merger been rubber stamped and is it definitely happening next April?

What about the studio that will be used - are we likely to see the NC vacate studio E in January to allow a revamp of it to take place, ready for the newly merged channel?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Keith - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 06:27 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  It seems to have all gone quiet on the merger front. Has the merger been rubber stamped and is it definitely happening next April?

What about the studio that will be used - are we likely to see the NC vacate studio E in January to allow a revamp of it to take place, ready for the newly merged channel?
In many respects it's already happened by stealth. After 7pm weekdays and large parts of the weekend are already simulcast. Having the News Channel and World News using the same name would formalise this. I guess how much of the rest would then be shared or UK opt-outs may be still subject to some change.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - harshy - 07-12-2022

Well some on the trailers on bbc world news is branded bbc news as well maybe this is their way of easing the brand to bbc world news ?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 06:55 PM)harshy Wrote:  Well some on the trailers on bbc world news is branded bbc news as well maybe this is their way of easing the brand to bbc world news ?

To be fair, I suspect viewers will be familiar with the BBC News brand anyway given that it is the brand used for online, apps and social media, plus a large chunk of the schedule these days is introduced as BBC News. In hindsight, the shift from BBC World to BBC World News was a bit of a misstep - should just have gone BBC News in 2008.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - News76 - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 06:47 PM)Keith Wrote:  
(07-12-2022, 06:27 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  It seems to have all gone quiet on the merger front. Has the merger been rubber stamped and is it definitely happening next April?

In many respects it's already happened by stealth. After 7pm weekdays and large parts of the weekend are already simulcast. Having the News Channel and World News using the same name would formalise this. I guess how much of the rest would then be shared or UK opt-outs may be still subject to some change.

Well if it's still quiet after Christmas, i think it's safe to assume the April 2023 start date will be slipping away.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 08-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 11:15 PM)News76 Wrote:  Well if it's still quiet after Christmas, i think it's safe to assume the April 2023 start date will be slipping away.

I don't really think that not hearing anything is particularly indicative. It would be incredibly unusual for them to keep a public running commentary of these kinds of developments and internal negotiations. Most major BBC News schedule changes are only announced a month or two in advance, so I wouldn't expect to hear about finalised plans until well into the new year. Also, I might be wrong, but isn't the clearest 'date' that we've got for the changes 'spring'. The new set in Studio B was supposed to be launched in the 'spring' and ended up being launched towards the end of June, so I wouldn't bet on any date yet.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Radio_man - 08-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 06:47 PM)Keith Wrote:  

Essentially, there's no reason why the new channel couldn't launch with the current set-up. A core UK only service Monday - Friday, 9am - 6pm from E, with World keeping it's branded weekday daytime programming from C or D. 
Then the two channels join together in the evenings and all weekend.
Re-name World as BBC News - job done. 
With the current set-up, you just about manage to satisfy both World and NC viewers. But as has been said, I suspect the two channels are being formally merged because even more cost savings are needed and there's now nothing left to cut on either channel.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Stuart - 08-12-2022

Minor mishap on the Six this evening, as someone wandered into the shot during the weather.  More importantly, what on Earth was Tomasz wearing with that 'funky jacket' and the 'bovver boots'?  Tongue

I'm sure they forget that we can see their feet when they present in Studio B. We've seen quite a variety of unusual footwear!  Big Grin

[Image: Snapshot-20221208-184933.jpg]