Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - matthieu1221 - 11-03-2023

(11-03-2023, 02:14 PM)freeaxe Wrote:  Live cross to a chap reporting that "Football Focus which should have been at midday has been replaced by Bargain Hunt"

Compelling and relevant coverage for global viewers.

Viewers might start to think that it's BBC World News that closed down instead!

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - lulzyboy - 11-03-2023

Did anybody notice how the presenter had to cut in the middle of an interview to say goodbye to world news viewers in the most abrubt way? Seems awfully rude and weird to do it this way rather than just letting the interview go out then starting the show a little later.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Kojak - 11-03-2023

(10-03-2023, 08:50 PM)Kojak Wrote:  One thing I don't quite get is this: the 5pm GMT hour is presented by (and AIUI also produced by) the same people who do the One. World goes separate for the 1pm hour in Studio C. Is there any particular reason why, instead of the One team coming back for an hour at 5, they couldn't simply stay on in E (and World in C) until, say, 4pm (as they did during the first lockdown) for a couple more hours of UK-only news? I know similar solutions were suggested multiple times in the run up to this merger, and it would seem to me to make much more sense than what is currently done.

Further to this, I have come up with a quick and dirty schedule that follows these arrangements. It uses the same amount of presenters as current - they are just slightly better utilised. Current schedule is at the top, my proposed schedule underneath:

[Image: Screenshot%202023-03-11%20at%2014_26_04.png]

(Yes, I clearly have FAR too much time on my hands...  Big Grin)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - interestednovice - 11-03-2023

(11-03-2023, 12:25 PM)James2001 Wrote:  Part of the problem then is that trying to provide context to international viewers may make it look patronising to UK audiences- it's an issue it's going to be very, very hard to properly balance when you're broadcasting to both UK and international viewers.  And even with context, most international viewers aren't going to care about the story anyway and will be annoyed it's taking up so much airtime. This really has shown up just how difficult, if not impossible, it's going to be to properly handle major stories of UK interest but limited to zero interest for international viewers on a merged channel. The Lineker story is one that likely wouldn't have been anywhere near BBC World pre-merger, now it's taking up half their airtime.

This sort of situation is why the merged channel is likely to fall apart quite quickly after a there's been a few major UK stories and inadequate handling that will likely annoy both UK and international viewers. Adding context for international viewers will make UK viewers feel they're being talked to like children, not enough coverage of major (or even minor) UK stories will make UK viewers annoyed, UK stories of zero foreign interest will annoy international viewers, it's never going to work. UK viewers want to know what's going on at home, international viewers will turn off at UK stories about people, places and companies they've never heard of. It's like merging Radios 1 and 3 and expecting it to work.
Exactly, and I haven’t mentioned it so far as I didn’t want to give the BBC any ideas, but there is a reason why they have Radio 4, Radio 5 Live and BBC World Service, plus new services of differing tones on other radio stations (from simple updates on Radio 3, to youth-focused Newsbeat on Radio 1).

This merger of WN and NC is rather like attempting to merge Radio 4, Radio 5 and World Service - with Radio 4 and 5 being opt-outs from the World Service. It’s as absurd as that!

(11-03-2023, 12:57 PM)DTV Wrote:  There's lot of focus on presenters and studios, but the actual costs of presenters and studio production staff is only going to run into a few million - the bulk of cuts are coming from newsgathering and the reduction in location reporting, contributor costs, etc.
Frankly, this is as worrying as the concerns about unacceptable output for World and NC audiences going out.

It’s also why the supposed “alternatives” of the BBC News website and bulletins on BBC One are also not covering the proper extent of stories of the former News division setup. It’s very concerning when News is the most important thing the BBC does.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 11-03-2023

(11-03-2023, 03:15 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Didn't a shorter version of Football Focus used to go out on BBC World?
Yes, a special version of it went out on BBC World News from the 2006/07 season to the 2016/17 season (indeed, you can watch some old BBC World News editions on the BBC website). Final Score similarly produced an edition for BBC World News until the 2014/15 season.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - interestednovice - 11-03-2023

(11-03-2023, 01:23 PM)harshy Wrote:  They need to go full fat bbc world news or bbc news international with all the branded shows they’ve dropped, simulcast that in the Uk and Uk viewers will get the picture and go off elsewhere for Uk news or tune into the network bulletins or just go to the app, it has to be full throttle and make themselves clear it’s the home of international news from the bbc, as this week has shown you can’t please both audiences it’s impossible.

Yes, I think so as they clearly aren’t willing to think creatively to do a proper hybrid service (which, as has been said, is still possible but now doesn’t look likely to emerge from the current mess).

If that’s what they do eventually do, they ought to keep the BBC World News name and call it that. The TV compliment to BBC World Service.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 11-03-2023

(11-03-2023, 03:37 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  Yes, I think so as they clearly aren’t willing to think creatively to do a proper hybrid service (which, as has been said, is still possible but now doesn’t look likely to emerge from the current mess).

If that’s what they do eventually do, they ought to keep the BBC World News name and call it that. The TV compliment to BBC World Service.
As the last week has demonstrated though, when push comes to shove, the BBC will shaft the financially necessary international market in favour of bowing to the political pressure associated with the domestic market. If they aren't willing to organise a proper hybrid service with a reasonable editorial balance, it'll be a global BBC News channel rather than a domestically available BBC World News that emerges from the merger.

Of course, this will inevitably lead to another issue when it alienates World viewers and screws up the advertising revenue (only needs a fall of <10% to go into the red), which will in turn require further cuts and lead to the DCMS committee asking why the licence fee is subsidising a loss-making enterprise. But, as BBC management seem unable to strategically think a day ahead at the minute, I suspect they are taking the battles as they come.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ALV - 11-03-2023

Some bulletins on WN on weekends are only 5 or 10 minutes long…

The producers on duty who are in charge of the running order should stop putting the Gary Lineker story as the lead story for these “summary hours”, they are wasting limited air time for domestic stories of no international relevance… save it when WN opts out argh!!! It’s that simple…

WN bulletins are so unwatchable today, when your 5 minute bulletins are filled by Gary Lineker and no other international news…

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - FelixJBAuk - 11-03-2023

Most people seem to be forgetting that football, particularly the Premier League, is one of the world's most watched sports, and Gary Lineker was the England captain when he was a player. So, I'm pretty sure there's a lot of people watching BBC World who know who he is, what he did and what he does now...

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - oscillon - 11-03-2023

(11-03-2023, 04:07 PM)ALV Wrote:  WN bulletins are so unwatchable today, when your 5 minute bulletins is filled by Gary Lineker and no other international news…
Classical merged weekends when something happens, when Nicola Bulley's body was found WN just showed 5 minutes of rolling news about it from NC and then crashed out mid-report.