Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ALV - 11-03-2023

For the record, here's the 7PM WN 10 minute WN summary bulletin. It demonstrates why the merger isn't working, especially in weekends like today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaCxNclvr-k &
The bulletin started with no headline sequence, straight to the intro.

For the first 8 minutes, they aired an interview with Tim Davie.

Then, for the next 4 minutes, there's a studio interview with reporter Charlotte Gallaghe for analysis.

After the interview, WN opts out.

For the entire duration of the bulletin, there's only one Gary Lineker story... No other international news, no "News In Brief"...

And there goes another summary bulletin wasted...

This is not a huge breaking news, like an earthquake in Turkey or an explosion in Kyiv, that justifies for a story to take up an entire bulletin.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Rolling News - 11-03-2023

It's crazy. Absolutely no reason why that 10 minutes couldn't have been focussed for international viewers. I think I'm right in saying they've practically got another 50 minutes to cover the Linekar disaster + anything else whilst WN does their own programming.

'Organise' and 'brewery' spring to mind.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Steve in Pudsey - 11-03-2023

Not a great interview either, interrupted him far too much - fine if somebody is waffling, repeating or dodging a question but I didn't feel that he was.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Chud - 11-03-2023

I didn’t know WN had a 10 min bulletin. Why is it that length?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 11-03-2023

(11-03-2023, 08:56 PM)Chud Wrote:  I didn’t know WN had a 10 min bulletin. Why is it that length?
BBC World News shows a variety of 'feature' programmes at the weekend, some of which are longer than 30 minutes. During those hours, they only produce a reduced bulletin. Things have been this way for as long as the channel has existed.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Omnipresent - 11-03-2023

BBC News really could have done with a second camera for the Tim Davie interview.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ginnyfan - 11-03-2023

Another hour, another 5 minutes Tim Davie interview bulletin on World.  Rolleyes BBC News takes bizarre pleasure in reporting about BBC. Confused At this point I would prefer censorship.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Newsroom - 11-03-2023

(11-03-2023, 09:13 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  Another hour, another 5 minutes Tim Davie interview bulletin on World.  Rolleyes BBC News takes bizarre pleasure in reporting about BBC. Confused At this point I would prefer censorship.
It's all going to be okay. 

The more car crash this is the more likelihood is that the BBC will be forced to reconsider its insane plans .

Even Newswatch commented that details were sparse.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ViridianFan - 11-03-2023

It feels obvious to me why they are running with this is and making such a big deal about it is because this runs deeper than the Gary Lineker tweet.

This is about the independence of the BBC. Look at recent weeks where we’ve had the stuff about the loan and Richard Sharp.We had Emily Mattlis alleging government interference. I’m not going to get into the argument if he is right or wrong but I do wonder if anything would have happened if he tweeted something in favour of a government policy.

They’d never be able to run a story about possible interference whereas at the moment they can say well everyone else is covering this so we need to. Whilst it may not be directly interesting to world viewers it’s actually something which impacts them. You don’t also know if this is point proving that the new merged channel won’t work.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Newsroom - 11-03-2023

I sincerely hope that once this diabolical month has gone, that it takes with it a few BBC faces. The DG and Richard Sharp for sure, right at the front of the queue! The presenter currently on duty on BBC News NationalGlobalMishMessNoclue and many more.

I'm surprised the DG is not appearing on LauraK's show tomorrow. I mean, why not throw petrol on the fire by having an alleged bias DG interviewed by an equally alleged bias BBC staffer.

After today, who knows what tomorrow with churn up!