Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - UTVLifer - 11-03-2023

Oh god, I can already imagine how painful the Laura K show will be tomorrow morning

Part of me hopes that with both the chancellor and shadow chancellor on, Laura won't be able to spend long awkwardly talking about the Lineker crisis with her panel

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Worzel - 11-03-2023

Well the last 24-48 hours have been totalling humiliating for the BBC in more ways than one.

At 9pm, News channel/World carried the Lineker story for nearly 15-20 minutes. There was only 2 stories on the headline sequence at the TOTH and only 2 stories covered in half an hour. The guest talking about the Silicon Valley Bank problems had to be cut off mid way through because they ran out of time and nearly crashed into the closing titles.

Re. Nomia Iqbal's interview with Tim Davie. After the interview was played out she did a live hit with the studio presenter. Before she started to discuss the interview with the presenter she explained for transparency about how she got the interview, that she was employed by the BBC, Tim Davie was her boss and he hadn't seen the questions. I thought she might actually go on to say WHY he was in Washington, but didn't! I'm sure general UK viewers would be wondering why he was being interviewed by the North America Correspondent in the US.

We know why he's likely over in the US - probably to observe the pilots for the merged News channel/World overnight broadcasts. How about being transparent with the audience about that as well!

It feels like UK audiences have really, really been mucked about this week. With the News channel and World now as one (and not being upfront about it), iffy scripting/running orders, BBC Sports programmes disrupted by the Gary Lineker incident, that incident in itself and then next week, BBC local journalists walking out on a busy news day - The Budget. Mix that in with the bodged roll out of the new Reith branding/logo.

It's all really sad for those of us who care and are passionate about the BBC, and are watching a slow, painful train crash with the corporation seemingly destroying itself.

On the plus side... the Chancellor of the Exchequer has been referred to as 'The UK Chancellor, Jeremy Hunt' and not the UK Finance Minister throughout today which is some progress. Although Labour are now 'the UK's opposition Labour Party'.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - matthieu1221 - 11-03-2023

(11-03-2023, 09:06 PM)Omnipresent Wrote:  BBC News really could have done with a second camera for the Tim Davie interview.

And a mic for the person conducting the interview from the very start of it.

I'd be disappointed if I waited for the top of the hour for World News just to get that.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Radio_man - 11-03-2023

To all those saying this merger is a disaster and World News & the UK News Channel must be immediately un-merged:

1) Where's the money coming from to do this?
2) Where are the staff - journalists, presenters, producers, gallery teams, researchers, coming from to do this? Many staff have already left or are leaving at the end of this month, either through retirement or redundancy. We've all seen the tweets of long serving producers & staff who are leaving. We still don't know who the 8 presenter/reporters will be.

The reality is, we are now too deep into the merger process for it to be reversed. The BBC is starved of funding and the new merged channel is happening no matter what this forum thinks.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Kojak - 11-03-2023

(11-03-2023, 11:22 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  To all those saying this merger is a disaster and World News & the UK News Channel must be immediately un-merged:

1) Where's the money coming from to do this?
2) Where are the staff - journalists, presenters, producers, gallery teams, researchers, coming from to do this? Many staff have already left or are leaving at the end of this month, either through retirement or redundancy. We've all seen the tweets of long serving producers & staff who are leaving. We still don't know who the 8 presenter/reporters will be.

The reality is, we are now too deep into the merger process for it to be reversed. The BBC is starved of funding and the new merged channel is happening no matter what this forum thinks.
I think most people here know that World and the NC won't be 'un-merged' - but there could certainly be better ways of doing things than what has gone out this week. Earlier I posted a rough idea for an alternative schedule that uses the same number of presenters as now, and crucially, adds more UK-specific content:

[Image: Screenshot%202023-03-11%20at%2014_26_04.png]

(Current schedule at the top, proposed schedule underneath)

The staff and studios are there - so why not use them?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - damian - 12-03-2023

As an international viewer of BBC World News, I’ve had the privilege of NOT having any time to watch this week, I have never heard of Gary, I have not heard any of this reported elsewhere on any international news and I will admit I know nothing about it. If I hadn’t had a busy week and I’d been watching I think I’d be absolutely ropeable at the amount of international air time it’s getting from the bbc.

I personally, Do. Not. Fu…. Care. If they’re trying to turn off their international audience they’re going the right way about it.

thomalex - thomalex - 12-03-2023

(12-03-2023, 12:04 AM)damian Wrote:  As an international viewer of BBC World News, I’ve had the privilege of NOT having any time to watch this week, I have never heard of Gary, I have not heard any of this reported elsewhere on any international news and I will admit I know nothing about it. If I hadn’t had a busy week and I’d been watching I think I’d be absolutely ropeable at the amount of international air time it’s getting from the bbc.

I personally, Do. Not. Fu…. Care.  If they’re trying to turn off their international audience they’re going the right way about it.

I thought that but it is actually quite a major international story it seems. It features on all the major news sites worldwide.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Andrew - 12-03-2023

I assume there were no guide dogs tonight?

RE: thomalex - DTV - 12-03-2023

(12-03-2023, 12:18 AM)thomalex Wrote:  
(12-03-2023, 12:04 AM)damian Wrote:  As an international viewer of BBC World News, I’ve had the privilege of NOT having any time to watch this week, I have never heard of Gary, I have not heard any of this reported elsewhere on any international news and I will admit I know nothing about it. If I hadn’t had a busy week and I’d been watching I think I’d be absolutely ropeable at the amount of international air time it’s getting from the bbc.
I thought that but it is actually quite a major international story it seems. It features on all the major news sites worldwide.
It might do, but there are lots of stories that will feature on all major news sites, it's the job of an editor to give an appropriate level of airtime to each story based on a combination of its newsworthiness and relevance to viewers. Later this year, Luxembourg will hold a general election - I suspect most reputable news outlets will have an article on the results - but I would be very surprised it it even gets a mention on a network news bulletin because any sensible editor would recognise it's not what the viewer really needs to know or particularly wants to know (it'd also be surprising because BBC network news gave up on properly covering elections in most western democracies about 20 years ago, but that's a different matter).

Even if there is some international interest in the Lineker case, I just don't see how it could possibly be editorially justified to give half of a 30-minute World News bulletin and all of a 10-minute World News bulletin to this story. That's just not in any respect proportionate to the story or its relevance and is a shocking error of editorial judgement. Even absolute top-tier stories rarely get a whole bulletin to themselves, and I don't think anybody would count this as one of those.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - James2001 - 12-03-2023

(12-03-2023, 12:21 AM)Andrew Wrote:  I assume there were no guide dogs tonight?

I'm sure they'll be back on Monday!