Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - bkman1990 - 12-03-2023

I have not watched most of the debacles which have taken place during the day with BBC News recently. I normally watch the national bulletins or the overnight WN simulcast on BBC One.

The news channel has not been on my radar to watch on my TV for a very long time. And with what has been said this week about both of the news channels on here for the past while. It does not feel surprising that BBC News has been going downhill since the initial plans for this 'soft-launch' merger had begun it's operations this week.

I am seriously thinking of going back to watching Sky News for UK rolling news if needed in the near future.

I didn't even know that the local BBC News journalists who mostly work on the radio bulletins are going to have a walkout during Budget day. That is a disaster waiting to happen imo.

I wonder how the BBC is going to cover the Budget when it comes on our screens next week. It could be a complete train wreck or a complete miracle that it provides good comprehensive coverage to it's viewers.

When it comes to Budget day Sky News & ITV could probably the kingmakers during Budget day when they go up against the BBC.

RE: thomalex - bakamann - 12-03-2023

(12-03-2023, 12:18 AM)thomalex Wrote:  
(12-03-2023, 12:04 AM)damian Wrote:  As an international viewer of BBC World News, I’ve had the privilege of NOT having any time to watch this week, I have never heard of Gary, I have not heard any of this reported elsewhere on any international news and I will admit I know nothing about it. If I hadn’t had a busy week and I’d been watching I think I’d be absolutely ropeable at the amount of international air time it’s getting from the bbc.

I personally, Do. Not. Fu…. Care.  If they’re trying to turn off their international audience they’re going the right way about it.

I thought that but it is actually quite a major international story it seems. It features on all the major news sites worldwide.

I got recommended by YouTube algo of a commentary from an Indian news channel talking about Lineker and "hypocrisy" of the BBC, which made me laugh because, unlike the UK, almost all of India's news media are forced to tow the line of their government's narrative or get continuously harrassed.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Jeff - 12-03-2023

(11-03-2023, 03:54 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(11-03-2023, 03:37 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  Yes, I think so as they clearly aren’t willing to think creatively to do a proper hybrid service (which, as has been said, is still possible but now doesn’t look likely to emerge from the current mess).

If that’s what they do eventually do, they ought to keep the BBC World News name and call it that. The TV compliment to BBC World Service.
As the last week has demonstrated though, when push comes to shove, the BBC will shaft the financially necessary international market in favour of bowing to the political pressure associated with the domestic market. If they aren't willing to organise a proper hybrid service with a reasonable editorial balance, it'll be a global BBC News channel rather than a domestically available BBC World News that emerges from the merger.

The issue is though the last week and the next few weeks can't be seen as an indication or used as a guide as to how very UK-centric stories/events will be handled by the single news channel since the current interim merged service doesn't have the ability to provide a separate service for UK viewers (bolded that bit since it's absolutely infuriating how that is being willfully/deliberately ignored on this website). As such, the interim merged service has to find a tricky balance in ensuring both international and UK viewers are being properly served without overserving one group over another. The fact that finding said balance is proving to be tricky (especially when there's a story concerning BBC management and the focal point of its sports division) shouldn't be surprising.

It really does seem like a lot of people have a pre-determined view about what the single news channel will be like (i.e., an utter disaster) and as such, are (often hysterically) latching onto seemingly any and every example possible to be able to go "Ah ha, see, see, I told you this isn't going to work". This is despite how the interim merged service will be different to what the single news channel will be and what the single news channel is when it launches will likely be different to what it'll be a few months down the track as adjustments are inevitably made.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - thevaran - 12-03-2023

(11-03-2023, 09:03 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(11-03-2023, 08:56 PM)Chud Wrote:  I didn’t know WN had a 10 min bulletin. Why is it that length?
BBC World News shows a variety of 'feature' programmes at the weekend, some of which are longer than 30 minutes. During those hours, they only produce a reduced bulletin. Things have been this way for as long as the channel has existed.

As I WN viewer I wish they would do 30 min news every hour instead of 10 min.
Usually the 10 min version is followed by two programmes, 20 min + 30 min. 
One of those programmes would be enough as there's already too many repeats.

Would like to see this change, in favor of more news, with the new schedule in April.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - James2001 - 12-03-2023

Maybe then they should have waited until the UK opt out ability was available before the merger, rather than launching this "interim" service which could cause a lot of damage even if it will only be in place for a few weeks. Viewers that turn off and go elsewhere might not come back.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Radio_man - 12-03-2023

(12-03-2023, 02:36 AM)James2001 Wrote:  Maybe then they should have waited until the UK opt out ability was available before the merger, rather than launching this "interim" service which could cause a lot of damage even if it will only be in place for a few weeks. Viewers that turn off and go elsewhere might not come back.

It's been explained many times on here that the interim joint service has been necessary this month to free up teams to work on the pilots of the new channel. Editorially, this is obviously proving challenging for the joint service with no UK opt out ability, but that will change next month. 

At this stage, we can't assume that this interim arrangement will reflect the editorial balance on the new channel either.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 12-03-2023

(12-03-2023, 02:30 AM)Jeff Wrote:  The issue is though the last week and the next few weeks can't be seen as an indication or used as a guide as to how very UK-centric stories/events will be handled by the single news channel since the current interim merged service doesn't have the ability to provide a separate service for UK viewers (bolded that bit since it's absolutely infuriating how that is being willfully/deliberately ignored on this website).
Sorry, I think if you look at the majority of my posts on this matter in the last week, I've more than gone out of the way to point out that it is important to wait for the full service to launch before condemning the merger outright. I also think it's rather outrageous for you to accuse me of willfully ignoring the realities or difficulties of the merger, when I feel I have consistently been one of the members most willing to engage with the realities and difficulties of the situation and suggest plausible solutions to the problems involved.

I presume and hope that you are right that we will get a more sensible and sustainable balance once the full service is launched, I was just commenting that this week has clearly not been a good precedent. While the interim service is temporary, I don't think it is a good thing or a good sign of things to come that the BBC felt that a month of combined output on both news channels was not in the need of some editorial guidance on how to strike an appropriate balance between both audiences. It's also impossible not to remark that many of those shared hours have been skewed significantly towards UK news, even when there hasn't been breaking or developing news that will soon be covered by the opt. Maybe we will get a better balance in the long run, but the evidence so far is very clear that the UK audience has been favoured.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Jeff - 12-03-2023

(12-03-2023, 11:17 AM)DTV Wrote:  
(12-03-2023, 02:30 AM)Jeff Wrote:  The issue is though the last week and the next few weeks can't be seen as an indication or used as a guide as to how very UK-centric stories/events will be handled by the single news channel since the current interim merged service doesn't have the ability to provide a separate service for UK viewers (bolded that bit since it's absolutely infuriating how that is being willfully/deliberately ignored on this website).
Sorry, I think if you look at the majority of my posts on this matter in the last week, I've more than gone out of the way to point out that it is important to wait for the full service to launch before condemning the merger outright. I also think it's rather outrageous for you to accuse me of willfully ignoring the realities or difficulties of the merger, when I feel I have consistently been one of the members most willing to engage with the realities and difficulties of the situation and suggest plausible solutions to the problems involved.

My remarks were intended to be general in nature rather than rebuking specifically you and I‘m sorry that it clearly came across that way for you.

It was just your post provided (in my view) a launchpad for things I held back from posting for a number of days but thought had to be said.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - oscillon - 12-03-2023

During the 10am hour the ticker has gone haywire, showing the frozen(!) wrong World clocks:
[Image: image.png]
[Image: image.png]

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ALV - 12-03-2023

Seems like preparations are underway for Studio E's renovation - the carpets in the newsroom are gradually being teared off, as seen in the outro of the lunchtime national bulletin today:
[Image: 246516f5a731a8be710d70e39293d2a8.png]