Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Earlie37 - 12-03-2023

(12-03-2023, 02:14 PM)ALV Wrote:  Seems like preparations are underway for Studio E's renovation - the carpets in the newsroom are gradually being teared off, as seen in the outro of the lunchtime national bulletin today:
[Image: 246516f5a731a8be710d70e39293d2a8.png]

Yes - the carpet tiles are being replaced as the old ones are now very shabby after 10 years. The replacements are sadly not as nice as what was installed originally, as you can see. Less likely to show the dirt though  Big Grin

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Kojak - 12-03-2023

I’ve been thinking more about how this merged service will work (yes, I AM that sad!) once it is properly up and running in April. I’m wondering in particular about the UK-specific bits during World’s ad breaks. One would assume that the presenter would just carry on with the UK news - but I wonder instead if we might see those bits done by a second presenter, up at the balcony? (Thinking a la Sky News circa 2008/latter-day Victoria Derbyshire show). If there is going to be someone there for UK breaking news anyway, might it make sense for them to do any UK headlines? They could maybe (long shot, I know) also do hourly summaries on One and/or Two.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 12-03-2023

(12-03-2023, 02:58 PM)Kojak Wrote:  I’ve been thinking more about how this merged service will work (yes, I AM that sad!) once it is properly up and running in April. I’m wondering in particular about the UK-specific bits during World’s ad breaks. One would assume that the presenter would just carry on with the UK news - but I wonder instead if we might see those bits done by a second presenter, up at the balcony? (Thinking a la Sky News circa 2008/latter-day Victoria Derbyshire show). If there is going to be someone there for UK breaking news anyway, might it make sense for them to do any UK headlines?
This is somewhat similar to how I envisaged a possible 'UK news' segment - have the duty presenter/reporter for the UK opt do an hourly segment rounding up the main stories in the UK that aren't really worthy of getting into the main body of the bulletin. I guess, as you say, there's an argument for having them do UK in Brief segments during the world breaks as it would appear somewhat cleaner than the main presenter pausing while World opt in and out.

Don't worry, though, you're far from the only member attempting to work out how you could make it work. I've kept coming back to a back-of-an-envelope idea of 'how I'd do it', this is what I've go at the minute for a standard shared hour...

[Image: BBCMergerStructureProposalRevised.png]
...though, of course, you could spice it up with different focuses/segments in different hours, I feel this (which is very much based on the old News channel and late-2000s World News Today structures) is a good basic model. In terms of UK news, I think you can justifiably get one or two stories into the main news body of the bulletin, with extra stories during world breaks and with less world-relevant stories covered in a dedicated UK News segment.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - CATV - 12-03-2023

(12-03-2023, 02:14 PM)ALV Wrote:  Seems like preparations are underway for Studio E's renovation - the carpets in the newsroom are gradually being teared off, as seen in the outro of the lunchtime national bulletin today:
[Image: 246516f5a731a8be710d70e39293d2a8.png]

Not sure what this has to do with Studio E.  It's an upgrade to the newsroom but not to Studio E right?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Worzel - 12-03-2023

Was watching earlier with the presenter trying to explain to World viewers what Universal Credit is and also what exactly is 'The Budget'.  Confused

I'm not sure if others have seen this week's Newswatch? Samira Ahmed tried to go into some detail about the changes to the BBC News channel but it was still all rather vague.  The inevitable 'We asked from someone from BBC News to comment on the changes but no one was available' line followed.

When Newswatch airs on the NC and Breakfast, the presenter normally says what's in the episode? Did they intro it saying about changes to the News channel as it would likely have been one of the first and only on air references to the changes.

(12-03-2023, 10:29 PM)Worzel Wrote:  Was watching earlier with the presenter trying to explain to World viewers what Universal Credit is and also what exactly is 'The Budget'.  Confused
I think they can overexplain these things, a lot of which are rather self-explanatory if you give a little aside like '...Britain's finance minister, Chancellor Jeremy Hunt...', '...Universal Credit, the main component of the UK's welfare system...', etc. Explaining the concept of the Budget is a little odd, though. Such fiscal events are commonplace in parliamentary democracies, often one of the key dates of the political year - the Dutch finance minister notably even copies the UK tradition of holding the briefcase aloft!

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Andrew - 12-03-2023

You don’t need to explain what the Chancellor is

The German chancellor is always referred to as such, never “The German prime minister known as the chancellor, not to be confused with our definition of a chancellor, today announced…”

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - dvboy - 12-03-2023

At least the NC will be taking Politics Live so they won't be in a simulcast with World during the actual budget on Wednesday.

(12-03-2023, 11:15 PM)Andrew Wrote:  You don’t need to explain what the Chancellor is

The German chancellor is always referred to as such, never “The German prime minister known as the chancellor, not to be confused with our definition of a chancellor, today announced…”
I don't really think it's plausible to claim that the German Chancellor and the Chancellor of the Exchequer are of equivalent international recognition. For whatever reason, it is widely accepted in the English-speaking world that Germany's head of government is referred to as the Chancellor rather than the standardised Prime Minister (a courtesy not extended to other non-standard equivalents like Italy's President of the Council of Ministers or Spain's President of the Government). I don't think the same is true of the British finance minister, especially considering that other English-speaking countries have a variety of terms for their equivalent.

A three word nudge during the introduction of a story is, at worst, going to mean nothing to viewers, while potentially aiding the understanding of many more.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Stuart - 12-03-2023

(12-03-2023, 11:15 PM)Andrew Wrote:  You don’t need to explain what the Chancellor is

I think most people in the UK who listened during history lessons at school knows the position of German Chancellor and the previous holders.

There are multiple positions in the UK cabinet with similar titles:
[list]
[*]Chancellor of the Exchequer (2nd Lord of the Treasury)
[*]Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster (Random appointment given extraordinary powers)

[/list]
In other news, I wish I had access to the WN feed tonight, as the domestic 10 led with:
[list]
[*]Navel-gazing about Lineker
[*]Navel-gazing by back-slapping celebs at the Oscars
[/list]

I switched to Al-Jazeera!

If this is really the future of the 'new' BBC News, then I'll just remove it from my favourites list.