Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Brekkie - 13-03-2023

It's usually World News America I think but we're in that weird period where time zones have changed in the US but not here so seems it's running 9.30-10.30 GMT.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - oscillon - 13-03-2023

(13-03-2023, 11:05 PM)Chud Wrote:  Is the context on BBC World news at 10pm?  It’s only been on for 30 mins on the news
Channel?
U.S. has already shifted to summer time, so World News America has to go on air an hour earlier, at 21:00 UKT. This shifts the Context for this week to 21:30-22:30 UKT. This is not a unique situation, it happens every half a year (in the autumn United States dips out of summer time later , so once again for a week or two WNA shifts back an hour in relation to European clocks).

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Kojak - 13-03-2023

WOW! A different feature! It's about COVID loan fraud tonight. Enjoy it - it will almost certainly be repeated all week.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - oscillon - 14-03-2023

World Business Report interrupted mid-interview (no crashing out, gentle handover between Ben and Shaun) to cross to a British court sentencing of Eleanor Williams.
World viewers must be rolling their eyes now.

UPD. At 11:39 UKT Shaun Ley said goodbye to World viewers as they opted out, again no crash outs.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Newsroom - 14-03-2023

(14-03-2023, 12:41 PM)oscillon Wrote:  World Business Report interrupted mid-interview (no crashing out, gentle handover between Ben and Shaun) to cross to a British court sentencing of Eleanor Williams.
World viewers must be rolling their eyes now.

UPD. At 11:39 UKT Shaun Ley said goodbye to World viewers as they opted out, again no crash outs.
World viewers are still being forced to soak up the sentencing of Eleanor Williams from Preston in Lancashire at 12.20 GMT.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - bakamann - 14-03-2023

Looks like BBC News is describing Old Bailey as both "Old Bailey" and "the Central Criminal Court".

After the court cameras get turned off, Shaun gave a brief explanation on the case and sentencing, then said goodbye to "World viewers" then cuts off to World weather.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Brekkie - 14-03-2023

Baffles me they treat viewers who choose to watch a British based international news channel (so not exactly the ITVBe fanbase) as pretty ignorant when it comes to British terminology. I doubt CNN ever pandered to their international audiences in such a manner.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - bakamann - 14-03-2023

Jane Hill is presenting the joint BBC News bulletin at this hour, which I assume until 5pm GMT?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Chud - 14-03-2023

Laura Trevelyan leaving 

https://twitter.com/LauraTrevelyan/status/1635647546839236612?s=20

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 14-03-2023

(14-03-2023, 02:39 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Baffles me they treat viewers who choose to watch a British based international news channel (so not exactly the ITVBe fanbase) as pretty ignorant when it comes to British terminology. I doubt CNN ever pandered to their international audiences in such a manner.
Sure BBC viewers are likely to have a greater than average affinity for the UK, but the somewhat pervasive idea on here that BBC World News viewers are all committed Anglophiles is fairly groundless. For many, their use of the BBC stems from the fact that local English-speaking media is at least somewhat untrustworthy and/or insular. Terms like the Old Bailey are not going to be inherently familiar or intuitive and I don't see why it is so harmful to include a short few-word description to allow them to understand what is going on - especially if you're going to bombard them with a string of domestic stories of little or no international relevance.

Plus, Britain is not America. CNN have a 'home advantage' that the BBC lack due to the unique levels of global interest in, familiarity with and understanding of American news and culture. That's not to say that the UK has no such pull (though that is largely limited to royalty and certain cultural exports), but the US is on a whole other plane on these matters that is frankly incomparable.