Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Newsroom - 14-03-2023

(14-03-2023, 03:53 PM)Chud Wrote:  
Laura Trevelyan leaving 

https://twitter.com/LauraTrevelyan/status/1635647546839236612?s=20

OH MY WHAT!!!

I figured her being in NYC and the programme resinating from DC might prove problematic when these changes come into play... hut losing her is another major blow for BBC News. 

I've followed her BBC Career since I can remember. I can't imagine BBC US output without her.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Transmission - 14-03-2023

Sumi Somaskanda of Deutsche Welle to join the channel as one of the chief presenters in Washington.

https://twitter.com/BBCNewsPR/status/1635699474197512198?t=oDy6cT0TixkbGytwJt6htA 

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - bilky asko - 14-03-2023

(14-03-2023, 01:29 PM)bakamann Wrote:  Looks like BBC News is describing Old Bailey as both "Old Bailey" and "the Central Criminal Court".

After the court cameras get turned off, Shaun gave a brief explanation on the case and sentencing, then said goodbye to "World viewers" then cuts off to World weather.

The actual court is the Central Criminal Court of England and Wales, with it being referred to as the Old Bailey in the same way one would refer to Fleet Street.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - matthieu1221 - 14-03-2023

(14-03-2023, 05:55 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(14-03-2023, 02:39 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Baffles me they treat viewers who choose to watch a British based international news channel (so not exactly the ITVBe fanbase) as pretty ignorant when it comes to British terminology. I doubt CNN ever pandered to their international audiences in such a manner.
Sure BBC viewers are likely to have a greater than average affinity for the UK, but the somewhat pervasive idea on here that BBC World News viewers are all committed Anglophiles is fairly groundless. For many, their use of the BBC stems from the fact that local English-speaking media is at least somewhat untrustworthy and/or insular. Terms like the Old Bailey are not going to be inherently familiar or intuitive and I don't see why it is so harmful to include a short few-word description to allow them to understand what is going on - especially if you're going to bombard them with a string of domestic stories of little or no international relevance.

Plus, Britain is not America. CNN have a 'home advantage' that the BBC lack due to the unique levels of global interest in, familiarity with and understanding of American news and culture. That's not to say that the UK has no such pull (though that is largely limited to royalty and certain cultural exports), but the US is on a whole other plane on these matters that is frankly incomparable.

I get your point, which is fair, but I believe Brekkie was referring to what terminology CNN uses when covering UK stories, rather than covering US stories. For instance I don't think they've ever called the Chancellor as the UK's Finance Minister (at least on CNNi, maybe it has been done on CNN Domestic).

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Moz - 14-03-2023

(14-03-2023, 05:55 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(14-03-2023, 02:39 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Baffles me they treat viewers who choose to watch a British based international news channel (so not exactly the ITVBe fanbase) as pretty ignorant when it comes to British terminology. I doubt CNN ever pandered to their international audiences in such a manner.
That's not to say that the UK has no such pull (though that is largely limited to royalty and certain cultural exports), but the US is on a whole other plane on these matters that is frankly incomparable.

Could not disagree more I'm sorry. Sick of the Britain-bashing on here. The BBC is the finest cultural institution in the World and it's got there by being British. Lose that and it'll end up being a carbon copy of all the other broadcasters.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - oscillon - 14-03-2023

Just noticed that 16:47 UKT Jane Hill crossed to Ben Thompson "for the latest business news" without special World Business Report branding.
[Image: image.png]
I think it substitutes the business review that took place during Global (and was titled "Global Business").

(14-03-2023, 03:53 PM)Chud Wrote:  Laura Trevelyan leaving 
Sad to see her leave, BBC was supposed to strengthen its Washington bureau, not lose one of its main faces!
Strange to see BBC hiring talent from the outside and not using the existing one. (Did they have tough time trying to find those agreeing to a relocation from London?)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - LDN - 14-03-2023

(14-03-2023, 07:18 PM)matthieu1221 Wrote:  
(14-03-2023, 05:55 PM)DTV Wrote:  Sure BBC viewers are likely to have a greater than average affinity for the UK, but the somewhat pervasive idea on here that BBC World News viewers are all committed Anglophiles is fairly groundless. For many, their use of the BBC stems from the fact that local English-speaking media is at least somewhat untrustworthy and/or insular. Terms like the Old Bailey are not going to be inherently familiar or intuitive and I don't see why it is so harmful to include a short few-word description to allow them to understand what is going on - especially if you're going to bombard them with a string of domestic stories of little or no international relevance.

Plus, Britain is not America. CNN have a 'home advantage' that the BBC lack due to the unique levels of global interest in, familiarity with and understanding of American news and culture. That's not to say that the UK has no such pull (though that is largely limited to royalty and certain cultural exports), but the US is on a whole other plane on these matters that is frankly incomparable.

I get your point, which is fair, but I believe Brekkie was referring to what terminology CNN uses when covering UK stories, rather than covering US stories. For instance I don't think they've ever called the Chancellor as the UK's Finance Minister (at least on CNNi, maybe it has been done on CNN Domestic).

CNN often refers on air to "the UK's finance minister", or similar, and also does so in written form -- for example, this CNN article published  yesterday only refers to "Britain's finance minister Jeremy Hunt", and doesn't even include the word "Chancellor".

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - matthieu1221 - 14-03-2023

(14-03-2023, 07:50 PM)LDN Wrote:  
(14-03-2023, 07:18 PM)matthieu1221 Wrote:  I get your point, which is fair, but I believe Brekkie was referring to what terminology CNN uses when covering UK stories, rather than covering US stories. For instance I don't think they've ever called the Chancellor as the UK's Finance Minister (at least on CNNi, maybe it has been done on CNN Domestic).

CNN often refers on air to "the UK's finance minister", or similar, and also does so in written form -- for example, this CNN article published  yesterday only refers to "Britain's finance minister Jeremy Hunt", and doesn't even include the word "Chancellor".

On air even the chyrons used to spell Chancellor though maybe that has all changed ever since International has pretty much vanished with more Domestic output instead.

Long gone are the days of extra London output due to Brexit after all...

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Roger Darthwell - 14-03-2023

(14-03-2023, 06:56 PM)Transmission Wrote:  Sumi Somaskanda of Deutsche Welle to join the channel as one of the chief presenters in Washington.

https://twitter.com/BBCNewsPR/status/1635699474197512198?t=oDy6cT0TixkbGytwJt6htA 

So, is this why Laura Trevelyan left?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - oscillon - 14-03-2023

(14-03-2023, 07:58 PM)Roger Darthwell Wrote:  
(14-03-2023, 06:56 PM)Transmission Wrote:  Sumi Somaskanda of Deutsche Welle to join the channel as one of the chief presenters in Washington.

So, is this why Laura Trevelyan left?

Not sure which way casual relationship goes between the two events (but I think there is one), and whether their coincidence with the preparation of U.S. overnights is a coincidence at all - @Newsroom pointed out that Laura Trevelyan lives in NY, not DC, where their studio and soon-to-be-reiforced bureau is.
(14-03-2023, 06:21 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  I figured her being in NYC and the programme resinating from DC might prove problematic when these changes come into play...
On the other hand, she has been doing WNA - sometimes from NY, though most times from DC - for a decade or more, and her NYC residence was not problem of such size to prevent her from doing it.