Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - thevaran - 15-03-2023

(14-03-2023, 09:05 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  Also...

https://twitter.com/JaneHillNews/status/1635706923298201600 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVJHwSpfHeE 

We might see her soon again in the five o'clock hour on days when she is presenting News at one.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - thevaran - 15-03-2023

(14-03-2023, 12:41 PM)oscillon Wrote:  World Business Report interrupted mid-interview (no crashing out, gentle handover between Ben and Shaun) to cross to a British court sentencing of Eleanor Williams.
World viewers must be rolling their eyes now.

UPD. At 11:39 UKT Shaun Ley said goodbye to World viewers as they opted out, again no crash outs.

I thought this was interesting breaking news to see even from a WN viewer perspective.

Didn't like that they interrupted for Sport Today in the middle of the sentencing, so I changed to Sky News.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Independent - 15-03-2023

(14-03-2023, 02:39 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Baffles me they treat viewers who choose to watch a British based international news channel (so not exactly the ITVBe fanbase) as pretty ignorant when it comes to British terminology. I doubt CNN ever pandered to their international audiences in such a manner.
I don't watch either enough to know but do France 24 or DW explain certain terms or geography of their respective countries of origin to international viewers like the BBC have in the past week or so? Before last week from time to time packages on BBC WN that are of international significance that make mention of the Old Bailey but neither the presenter nor correspondent ever explained what it is. We could just assume it was some sort of court given the context. It seems too excessive what the BBC have been doing and treats World viewers as if we're unable to figure it out or look it up.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - bakamann - 15-03-2023

It seems "UK Finance Minister" is being used to describe Jeremy Hunt on both BBC News and BBC World News, I thought they could split that... unless that's part of the test run on the new joint service.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - TheJarv - 15-03-2023

This use of language is really frustrating, UK budget, 12:30 GMT, ugh

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 15-03-2023

(15-03-2023, 04:54 AM)Independent Wrote:  I don't watch either enough to know but do France 24 or DW explain certain terms or geography of their respective countries of origin to international viewers like the BBC have in the past week or so?
DW certainly does this a lot where the official English translation is somewhat confusing or non self-explanatory - state heads of government are officially Minister-Presidents, but referred to by DW as state premiers; parliamentary parties are referred to as such or as parliamentary groups, rather than the more literal 'faction' or 'fraction'. Where German terms are typically used in English, they'll typically give a neutral descriptor on first mention before switching to the German for the second mention - e.g. armed services and then Bundeswehr. It's fairly common for non-US international broadcasters to do this, which is why I don't understand why a few words in certain story introductions are such an issue for certain people.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Charles - 15-03-2023

(15-03-2023, 04:54 AM)Independent Wrote:  
(14-03-2023, 02:39 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Baffles me they treat viewers who choose to watch a British based international news channel (so not exactly the ITVBe fanbase) as pretty ignorant when it comes to British terminology.  I doubt CNN ever pandered to their international audiences in such a manner.
I don't watch either enough to know but do France 24 or DW explain certain terms or geography of their respective countries of origin to international viewers like the BBC have in the past week or so? Before last week from time to time packages on BBC WN that are of international significance that make mention of the Old Bailey but neither the presenter nor correspondent ever explained what it is. We could just assume it was some sort of court given the context. It seems too excessive what the BBC have been doing and treats World viewers as if we're unable to figure it out or look it up.

Of course, it's worth pointing out that France and Germany have publically-owned domestic news channels in addition to the international-oriented ones that you mentioned, whereas that's no longer the case with the UK and the BBC. France 24 started out with the intent that it would be truly global in scope like BBC World or RFI with largely the same content concurrently on the French, English, and Arabic channels. I'd say that they've strayed from this in recent years with the French channel having a tendency to cover domestic French issues more than the English channel, and you'll see a reporter package from a national France 2 bulletin slipped in from time to time. The English channel will still do French news more in-depth than what you'd see anywhere else and will add context for an international anglophone audience, though the language difference is a natural editorial barrier. With that said, France 24 is still far more global than the domestic-focused franceinfo. You'll also see far less US news on any of the French channels than you will see on the BBC.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Matrix - 15-03-2023

(15-03-2023, 10:48 AM)TheJarv Wrote:  This use of language is really frustrating, UK budget, 12:30 GMT, ugh

I mean, I'm struggling to see what is quite so frustrating... it's a budget - and from the UK. Hence, UK Budget. 

The reality of this is the UK-based news channel has been closed down. The new style guide for this channel has an international audience in mind so, just like BBC World News, there is a need to not presume it'll be a UK audience you're speaking to. The same principle would apply if it was a French budget, for example. You'd hardly expect the Channel to just assume the audience was familiar with the French political cycle.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - chris - 15-03-2023

(15-03-2023, 11:25 AM)Matrix Wrote:  
(15-03-2023, 10:48 AM)TheJarv Wrote:  This use of language is really frustrating, UK budget, 12:30 GMT, ugh

I mean, I'm struggling to see what is quite so frustrating... it's a budget - and from the UK. Hence, UK Budget. 

The reality of this is the UK-based news channel has been closed down. The new style guide for this channel has an international audience in mind so, just like BBC World News, there is a need to not presume it'll be a UK audience you're speaking to. The same principle would apply if it was a French budget, for example. You'd hardly expect the Channel to just assume the audience was familiar with the French political cycle.
And there’s a budget special Politics Live on BBC Two from 11:15. Breakfast is available on iPlayer and Today on Sounds if someone desperately needs UK-focused budget coverage at 10:30am.

It would be nice to stop repeating the same old arguments in this thread for every news story. Perhaps we should all wait til the new channel launches before passing judgement?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Rolling News - 15-03-2023

Matthew Amroliwala doing 11-1 today. All he needs is Jane Hill to come alongside and it’d be like 2007 again Big Grin