Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - harshy - 15-03-2023

Maybe they should change the channel name to bbc news international when they properly launch then everyone knows it’s a global news channel.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - bakamann - 15-03-2023

BBC News channel opts-out to simulcast Politics Live, while BBC World News stayed with Matthew at Studio E.

UPDATE: Looks like they will simulcast the whole broadcast, from PMQs to Budget, until 03:00pm GMT.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 15-03-2023

(15-03-2023, 12:03 PM)harshy Wrote:  Maybe they should change the channel name to bbc news international when they properly launch then everyone knows it’s a global news channel.
Or they could simply make copious references to the fact that the channel is 'broadcasting to viewers in the UK and around the world'.

Also, given that the UK version of the channel will feature separate UK-only output for at least 40% of UK waking hours, will have its own breaking/developing news opt and is seemingly not going to be lightly served during shared output, I'm not sure that such a name would really be necessary.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Brekkie - 15-03-2023

(15-03-2023, 12:22 PM)bakamann Wrote:  BBC News channel opts-out to simulcast Politics Live, while BBC World News stayed with Matthew at Studio E.

UPDATE: Looks like they will simulcast the whole broadcast, from PMQs to Budget, until 03:00pm GMT.

Ah, they would likely be doing that today anyhow.   Always baffled me why BBC News didn't simulcast Politics Live anyway as it could have left them with one 9-12 morning shift rather than two 9-11/11-1 shifts.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - thevaran - 15-03-2023

(15-03-2023, 12:43 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  
(15-03-2023, 12:22 PM)bakamann Wrote:  BBC News channel opts-out to simulcast Politics Live, while BBC World News stayed with Matthew at Studio E.

Ah, they would likely be doing that today anyhow.   Always baffled me why BBC News didn't simulcast Politics Live anyway as it could have left them with one 9-12 morning shift rather than two 9-11/11-1 shifts.

So you're asking for a simulcast of Politics Live on BBC Two, BBC Parlament AND BBC News!?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - chaose - 15-03-2023

I fail to see how explaining certain terms is supposed to be categorically bad. More and more people are less familiar with the political process nowadays, that's a (sad) fact. So adding a little explanation will probably even help a big part of the UK audience. If you don't know politics, it still seeems easy enough to understand what a Finance Minister does. Just listen to Newsbeat to hear similar things being done every day.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - bakamann - 15-03-2023

I'm not sure how BBC News' studio gallery/TOC works, but I noticed at the very start of World Business Report was the end of "... stream on BBC iPlayer" on the UK promos.

Quite amusing that UK has already opted-out of the broadcast, but they still play the adverts intended for UK audience. Is it because those are programmed on the broadcast playlist?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - mark - 15-03-2023

Watching the start of the 10am hour on this budget day was a very odd experience. The top story was an international story that wasn't even on the front page of the UK BBC News website, with the budget as the second story and described in the headlines as 'UK financial statement'. It felt very strange for output that was on two UK channels - BBC News and BBC2.

I know this isn't the finished product, though, so I'll reserve judgement until the proper launch in April.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Moz - 15-03-2023

(15-03-2023, 01:08 PM)chaose Wrote:  I fail to see how explaining certain terms is supposed to be categorically bad. More and more people are less familiar with the political process nowadays, that's a (sad) fact. So adding a little explanation will probably even help a big part of the UK audience. If you don't know politics, it still seeems easy enough to understand what a Finance Minister does. Just listen to Newsbeat to hear similar things being done every day.

If I hear something I don’t understand I look it up so that I know what it means for next time. Constantly explaining things CAUSES a lack of familiarity, it doesn’t remove it.

Google is a wonderful thing…

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=chancellor+of+the+exchequer 

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DavidWhitfield - 15-03-2023

I can see your point, but you could argue that you could just Google anything.

The role of a news channel is to keep people informed, which must include making sure people fully understand the details of what's happening.

We're all different, but personally, I'd consider over-explanation better than under-explanation, in that I'd rather have terms/references that I'm already familiar with explained to me than feel out of my depth through a lack of understanding of the subject matter.