Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - News76 - 12-12-2022

(10-12-2022, 02:23 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  One would expect all of these changes to happen at the same time. It is a launch of a new channel, in a way, and as much as it feels already that News & World are one, it's really not the case. There will be a new schedule, half of the presenters we see now will be gone, plus the studio set ups will be changed, in one way or another. So for once, we might get a relunch that really is a brand new start.

But then again, it is BBC, so you never know.....

Which means we will propably still be waiting for the relaunch next Christmas and it will end up scaled back.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 12-12-2022

(12-12-2022, 09:45 AM)News76 Wrote:  Which means we will propably still be waiting for the relaunch next Christmas and it will end up scaled back.

While I wouldn't be surprised if there was a little 'scaling back' - i.e., at least some daytime separated service, I would not expect any significant alteration to the fundamentals of the proposals or a clear delay in the launch of the channel. Pretty much the sole reason this is happening is financial and the need for cuts is getting worse by the day - indeed any delay to the launch of the channel could end up requiring it to find further cuts.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - TheGregmeister - 16-12-2022

Watching BBC World News a couple of nights ago, I spotted the OFCOM Product Placement symbol appear on the breakbumpers for The Travel Show. Which begs the question ... since BBC World News isn't officially available to UK, whether they pay for the TVL or not (although it can be viewed via unofficial internet sources that obviously cannot be discussed here) does OFCOM still regulate BBCWN like they do with the regular TVL funded BBC channels?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Newsroom - 16-12-2022

Along with other members here I have mentioned Martine Croxhall's name checking of the BBC News Channel and the fact it's only appears to her doing it. I've just watched a trail for 'The Year In Review' and low and behold the BBC News Channel is name checked rather than BBC News. So there really does appear to be no set uniform as yet.

Would be interested to hear if the trail airing on BBC World is channel specific or BBC News only.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 16-12-2022

(16-12-2022, 10:45 AM)Newsroom Wrote:  Along with other members here I have mentioned Martine Croxhall's name checking of the BBC News Channel and the fact it's only appears to her doing it. I've just watched a trail for 'The Year In Review' and low and behold the BBC News Channel is name checked rather than BBC News. So there really does appear to be no set uniform as yet.

Would be interested to hear if the trail airing on BBC World is channel specific or BBC News only.

Both BBC News and the BBC News channel have been valid since 2008 - it's always been officially called BBC News, but has often been verbally called the BBC News channel when simply BBC News sounds clunky or confusing (i.e., when referenced on other channels or to distinguish from e.g., the BBC News website).

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Newsroom - 16-12-2022

(16-12-2022, 10:52 AM)DTV Wrote:  
(16-12-2022, 10:45 AM)Newsroom Wrote:  Along with other members here I have mentioned Martine Croxhall's name checking of the BBC News Channel and the fact it's only appears to her doing it. I've just watched a trail for 'The Year In Review' and low and behold the BBC News Channel is name checked rather than BBC News. So there really does appear to be no set uniform as yet.

Both BBC News and the BBC News channel have been valid since 2008 - it's always been officially called BBC News, but has often been verbally called the BBC News channel when simply BBC News sounds clunky or confusing (i.e., when referenced on other channels or to distinguish from e.g., the BBC News website).
Yes, but with the merger on the horizon the use of BBC News Channel when name checking. TOTH or other  by presenters has all but gone with only Croxall continuing todo so. The other main presenters such as Gosling, McVeigh, Brown and Hill never refer to the NC anymore. it was just interesting to hear a trail using the words. The channel is on as background noise most days so I noticed it as soon as it was said. I can't think of any other instance where a promo uses the full name of the channel. It would surely make sense for a channel that's going to be called BBC News to run generic trails across both channels as is the case most of the time. (cost cutting surely) ;-)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - News76 - 16-12-2022

(16-12-2022, 11:00 AM)Newsroom Wrote:  
(16-12-2022, 10:52 AM)DTV Wrote:  Both BBC News and the BBC News channel have been valid since 2008 - it's always been officially called BBC News, but has often been verbally called the BBC News channel when simply BBC News sounds clunky or confusing (i.e., when referenced on other channels or to distinguish from e.g., the BBC News website).
Yes, but with the merger on the horizon the use of BBC News Channel when name checking. TOTH or other  by presenters has all but gone with only Croxall continuing todo so. The other main presenters such as Gosling, McVeigh, Brown and Hill never refer to the NC anymore. it was just interesting to hear a trail using the words. The channel is on as background noise most days so I noticed it as soon as it was said. I can't think of any other instance where a promo uses the full name of the channel. It would surely make sense for a channel that's going to be called BBC News to run generic trails across both channels as is the case most of the time. (cost cutting surely) ;-)

The words i never want to hear ever again, in fact this whole merger should be thrown straight into Room 101 if it were up to me and cost cutting started again from scratch (not that i will be listened to on this but there we go!)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 16-12-2022

(16-12-2022, 11:41 AM)News76 Wrote:  The words i never want to hear ever again, in fact this whole merger should be thrown straight into Room 101 if it were up to me and cost cutting started again from scratch (not that i will be listened to on this but there we go!)

But then what really is your alternative. Everybody agrees with you that the merger is a bad idea and that, in an ideal world, it wouldn't be happening; but that's not the situation we are in. The BBC has to make severe cuts across all services and BBC News has to suffer fairly. If you aren't cutting the News channel then what are you prepared to lose instead? I'm listening.

Because, quite frankly, the News channel merger is probably one of the fairest places you can make cuts - it isn't a particularly unique service (in that everything it does is done by other BBC services) and, with regard to the channel's higest viewership moments, it will be functionally identical after the merger. I think the proposals can be improved (without significant increase in cost), but can't say that it isn't a sensible decision given the circumstances.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Worzel - 16-12-2022

Pretty certain Martine only started saying 'Good morning/afternoon and welcome to the BBC News channel' at the top of the hour after the merger was announced. She always said 'BBC News' prior to that.

When the April 2008 rebrand happened, I'm sure someone in the know said on TVF that it would be referred to as 'BBC News' on the channel itself and 'the BBC News Channel' on other outlets, but there's never really been uniformity about it.

In the original press release about the merger earlier this year, the BBC said they'd be launching a brand new channel called 'BBC News', which is in essence what the domestic news channel is already called on screen. I believe Tim Davie also referred to this when he appeared before the DCMS committee a few months ago.

How they will refer to it on other channels, outlets and online will be interesting to see because BBC News is the overarching brand as well, so its basically the 2008 confusion all over again when the News 24 name was retired.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Stuart - 16-12-2022

(16-12-2022, 09:51 AM)TheGregmeister Wrote:  Watching BBC World News a couple of nights ago, I spotted the OFCOM Product Placement symbol appear on the breakbumpers for The Travel Show. Which begs the question ... since BBC World News isn't officially available to UK, whether they pay for the TVL or not (although it can be viewed via unofficial internet sources that obviously cannot be discussed here) does OFCOM still regulate BBCWN like they do with the regular TVL funded BBC channels?
BBC World News isn't funded by the TVL, as it's a commercial operation which actually funds itself through either adverts or subscriptions.

Ofcom regulate many channels broadcast from the UK, not just those available within the UK.