Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - bbctvtechop - 18-03-2023

(18-03-2023, 05:19 PM)Moz Wrote:  
(18-03-2023, 02:43 PM)bilky asko Wrote:  It was clear enough to me!
Feel free to explain….!

In fairness I probably should have used the word "branding" rather than "titles" 

To clarify, in piloting I've seen a new countdown in Chameleon style. I haven't seen any new title sequences nor lower third graphic changes etc. I suspect the only thing that will be Chamelonised/changed in April is the TOTH countdown and the trailers. Maybe a slight tweak to the titles to remove/update the red BBC NEWS box. But I haven't seen anything else in piloting being changed. 

Also, I'm not a "he".

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Josh - 18-03-2023

bbctvtechop is actually a consortium of multiple BBC insiders, obviously.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Keith - 18-03-2023

(18-03-2023, 08:58 PM)Josh Wrote:  bbctvtechop is actually a consortium of multiple BBC insiders, obviously.
I heard bbctvtechop was involved with piloting a desk for Huw Edwards that rose up from the floor. Wink

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Moz - 18-03-2023

(18-03-2023, 08:43 PM)bbctvtechop Wrote:  
(18-03-2023, 05:19 PM)Moz Wrote:  Feel free to explain….!

In fairness I probably should have used the word "branding" rather than "titles" 

To clarify, in piloting I've seen a new countdown in Chameleon style. I haven't seen any new title sequences nor lower third graphic changes etc. I suspect the only thing that will be Chamelonised/changed in April is the TOTH countdown and the trailers. Maybe a slight tweak to the titles to remove/update the red BBC NEWS box. But I haven't seen anything else in piloting being changed. 

Also, I'm not a "he".

Apologies for the “he” - as I typed it I thought it was an archaic assumption and I don’t know why I didn’t change it.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - thevaran - 19-03-2023

(18-03-2023, 02:55 PM)ALV Wrote:  - FoA returns at 1730 BST.

I highly doubt Focus on Africa will be shown in the UK, as it wouldn't draw any viewers at all.
kinda suspect it will be replaced with a UK opt-out and something in the ways of Sportsday.

Still, best option would be showing FoA, with several repeats over the course of the day, but on the African feed only.
In the same way that World News America is shown several times in North America, but not even once in the UK.

For European viewers, UK stories are much more relevant and I would say expected from BBC News. 
I'm still hoping for News at Six, News at Ten and Newsnight to eventually appear on the European feed.
Perhaps when the BBC need to save even more money.  Wink Asian viewers are asleep at that time anyway.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - bbctvtechop - 19-03-2023

(19-03-2023, 02:30 AM)thevaran Wrote:  
(18-03-2023, 02:55 PM)ALV Wrote:  - FoA returns at 1730 BST.

I highly doubt Focus on Africa will be shown in the UK, as it wouldn't draw any viewers at all.
kinda suspect it will be replaced with a UK opt-out and something in the ways of Sportsday.

Still, best option would be showing FoA, with several repeats over the course of the day, but on the African feed only.
In the same way that World News America is shown several times in North America, but not even once in the UK.

For European viewers, UK stories are much more relevant and I would say expected from BBC News. 
I'm still hoping for News at Six, News at Ten and Newsnight to eventually appear on the European feed.
Perhaps when the BBC need to save even more money.  Wink Asian viewers are asleep at that time anyway.

Isn't that breakfast time in some parts of Asia? Indonesia and Singapore, for example? Either way it would be weird for a broadcast of "NewsNIGHT" to be broadcast on an international feed at what could literally be any time if the day. Similar even for your proposed target audience in Europe - are we going to start calling it "News at 10 at 11 or 12 or 1 depending on where you are"?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 19-03-2023

(19-03-2023, 10:22 AM)bbctvtechop Wrote:  Isn't that breakfast time in some parts of Asia? Indonesia and Singapore, for example? Either way it would be weird for a broadcast of "NewsNIGHT" to be broadcast on an international feed at what could literally be any time if the day. Similar even for your proposed target audience in Europe - are we going to start calling it "News at 10 at 11 or 12 or 1 depending on where you are"?
Plus, surely any simulcasts of network programmes on World would require changes to how both operate. None of the network bulletins are run to World's 26' standard for news programmes, nor do they feature opt-points for adverts - the Ten only sometimes even includes a half-way coming up sequence. You'd have to either restructure the bulletins or have World drop ad breaks - neither of which are great ideas.

At a push you could have them rebroadcast in back half-hours on tape delay and edited down (as Newsnight was until 1997), but even then is it worth the effort to have a, probably at best, 90-minute-old domestic-facing news bulletin rebroadcast for an audience many of which have access to BBC One and Two anyway.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Radio_man - 19-03-2023

This might explain why Ros Atkins has rarely presented Outside Source so far this year. Although if OS is to be dropped from the new schedules from April 3rd then we probably won't be seeing much of him on the new channel anyway

https://twitter.com/BBCRosAtkins/status/1637425117968965637?t=qcyW9yoLNar_nsSTYM1Fsg&s=19 

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Steve in Pudsey - 19-03-2023

His change of role to Analysis Editor might have something to do with it too?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - thevaran - 20-03-2023

(19-03-2023, 10:22 AM)bbctvtechop Wrote:  
(19-03-2023, 02:30 AM)thevaran Wrote:  I highly doubt Focus on Africa will be shown in the UK, as it wouldn't draw any viewers at all.

Isn't that breakfast time in some parts of Asia? Indonesia and Singapore, for example? Either way it would be weird for a broadcast of "NewsNIGHT" to be broadcast on an international feed at what could literally be any time if the day. Similar even for your proposed target audience in Europe - are we going to start calling it "News at 10 at 11 or 12 or 1 depending on where you are"?

Speaking of NewsNIGHT...
Around midnight we are currently getting something called NewsDAY on BBC WN.
That name doesn't feel like it's targeting a global audience. NewsDAY in late-night?

Neither does World News AMERICA feel like a show targeting audiences around the world. It screams Made-for-America.
Question is, would anyone in let's say Singapore care to watch WN America or News at Ten?
I would say probably yes, but I think they would prefer seeing something British, after all they are watching the BBC. 

Obviously they also have the option of switching to CNN International and watching Early Start and This Morning at night, during prime time in Asia.

Also, Japan's public broadcaster NHK shows BBC News at Six/Ten on NHK BS every morning, with Japanese voice-overs.
News at Six/Ten are also on SBS in Australia, but during the day and not at night.
None of those broadcasters change the name, they keep the it News at Six (or Ten), as it is.

By the way, there used to be weekend repeats of NewsNIGHT on BBC WN a few years ago. 
I wish they would bring them back. Excellent reporting. Much better than Worklife India, which I can't understand at all.