Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - gottago - 20-03-2023

(20-03-2023, 01:47 PM)Matrix Wrote:  
(20-03-2023, 01:38 PM)thevaran Wrote:  BBC iPlayer, BBC First, BBC Player, BBC Select. So many brands, so many different names for the VOD service.
From next month the Nordic region will get their new VOD service called BBC Nordic+. Yet another name.
So what's the reason for keeping news out of these services?
https://www.bbc.com/mediacentre/bbcstudios/2023/bbc-nordic-and-bbc-nordic-plus-to-launch-april-17 
A few reasons spring to mind...

[list=1]
[*]Licensing agreements: BBC News has licensing agreements with different media companies and broadcasters around the world, which might restrict its ability to stream its content globally via VOD services. The BBC might be contractually obligated to provide its content to certain broadcasters exclusively. *PBS in the States, for example. 
[*]Regional restrictions: BBC News might be subject to regional restrictions due to local laws, regulations, and censorship policies. Some countries might have restrictions on the type of content that can be broadcast or streamed, which could limit the availability of BBC News on VOD services.
[*]Technical challenges: Streaming video globally requires a significant amount of infrastructure and resources to support the large amount of data transfer required. BBC News might not have the necessary technical infrastructure or partnerships with VOD providers to ensure that its content can be delivered globally without interruption. It might sound simple, pass over a recording to the relevant VOD but it doesn't all work off the same tech or even business standards. 
[*]Cost: Expanding the reach of BBC News via VOD services could require significant investment in technology and infrastructure. The cost of expanding globally might not be justified by the potential revenue generated by the additional viewership. Like, the model (successful, I would add) is to target a certain demographic. Typically, this features a business traveller and hotel rooms. I'm just not sure World Business Report is necessarily the thing you want on demand in a hotel bedroom compared with other 'video on demand' services... 
[/list]
Plus these services are specifically aimed at consumers looking for entertainment and drama series, the number of people subscribing specifically for news would likely be tiny. I can't imagine there are many people subscribing to Now for Sky News programmes on demand for example. You'd barely know Sky News was even on there unless you really looked.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Jimbo2022 - 20-03-2023

What is BBC reel? Is that another one? Seen that mentioned in WN recently.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ConorW2000 - 20-03-2023

BBC Reel is for short documentaries I think.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - EverythingFavs - 20-03-2023

I just asked David Lowe if he is making the music for the new programmes, he said he hasn't done anything new 'as yet' and they could roll forward over the next few months...

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - bbctvtechop - 21-03-2023

(20-03-2023, 11:40 PM)EverythingFavs Wrote:  I just asked David Lowe if he is making the music for the new programmes, he said he hasn't done anything new 'as yet' and they could roll forward over the next few months...

...as I've been saying over all my posts on this thread. I don't know where this idea of a full revamp in April has come from?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Jimbo2022 - 21-03-2023

(20-03-2023, 09:03 PM)ConorW2000 Wrote:  BBC Reel is for short documentaries I think.

Thank you for that. Never seen it in UK BBC channels inky on BBC World

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - mokked - 21-03-2023

(20-03-2023, 08:12 PM)Jimbo2022 Wrote:  What is BBC reel? Is that another one? Seen that mentioned in WN recently.

https://www.bbc.com/reel/ 

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Renap - 21-03-2023

I see the guide dogs were back on again on Monday.

How many times has this been played during this month?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - thevaran - 21-03-2023

(21-03-2023, 01:29 AM)Renap Wrote:  I see the guide dogs were back on again on Monday.

How many times has this been played during this month?

This is my new favorite show. Can't get enough of it. 

Let's hope Guide Dogs will stay on forever at the same time slot.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Frances - 21-03-2023

(19-03-2023, 12:09 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(19-03-2023, 10:22 AM)bbctvtechop Wrote:  Isn't that breakfast time in some parts of Asia? Indonesia and Singapore, for example? Either way it would be weird for a broadcast of "NewsNIGHT" to be broadcast on an international feed at what could literally be any time if the day. Similar even for your proposed target audience in Europe - are we going to start calling it "News at 10 at 11 or 12 or 1 depending on where you are"?
Plus, surely any simulcasts of network programmes on World would require changes to how both operate. None of the network bulletins are run to World's 26' standard for news programmes, nor do they feature opt-points for adverts - the Ten only sometimes even includes a half-way coming up sequence. You'd have to either restructure the bulletins or have World drop ad breaks - neither of which are great ideas.

At a push you could have them rebroadcast in back half-hours on tape delay and edited down (as Newsnight was until 1997), but even then is it worth the effort to have a, probably at best, 90-minute-old domestic-facing news bulletin rebroadcast for an audience many of which have access to BBC One and Two anyway.
And sometimes the Ten covers sport events that happen in UK prime time. I think there’ll be some copyright issues if network bulletins are shown internationally.

But from an editorial aspect I think the Ten is suitable for world viewers because it has a good balance between domestic and international stories, and some major original international reports and analyses, which other World programmes don’t have.