Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - oscillon - 21-03-2023

(21-03-2023, 01:29 AM)Renap Wrote:  I see the guide dogs were back on again on Monday.

How many times has this been played during this month?

During the first week of the merged live service they were on air six times, last week they were absent, at least in this time slot, so this must be seventh time this month.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ALV - 21-03-2023

(21-03-2023, 12:51 AM)bbctvtechop Wrote:  
(20-03-2023, 11:40 PM)EverythingFavs Wrote:  I just asked David Lowe if he is making the music for the new programmes, he said he hasn't done anything new 'as yet' and they could roll forward over the next few months...

...as I've been saying over all my posts on this thread. I don't know where this idea of a full revamp in April has come from?
I think some of us are just confused by the conflicted statements from other sources, because you're not the only source of information we geeks are sniffing from haha...

For example, Yalda Hakim posted weeks ago and said "In four weeks time we will be launching a new programme".
[Image: 4a2d432310469f0a32658e6cf2d38f0b.png]
Is the "new programme" a new branded programme or a generic bulletin? That's up to anyone's interpretation here.

But yeah I totally understand from your position, that's the info she was told at that time. Everything is subject to change. Not all editorial staff or even you and your fellow technical colleagues know the final plans... probably up until the very last minute. As a software developer intern in a sizable company, I had a wonderful experience of being officially informed of a major internal API change 24 hours before deployment and I had to scrap all my code...

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Charles - 21-03-2023

It's entirely possible that they launch a new format but no new branding elements right away.

In other words, they could be preparing a new program with Yalda and her team, working on tweaks to the running order and what sorts of stories and reporters they'll include, but otherwise keep everything generically branded as BBC News and not have any kind of new graphics or music or any other ornamental touches to go with it, at least for now.

It seems as though they might be using all their best producers and editors on those rehearsals, as well as figuring out how the UK-opt out is going to work on a day-to-day basis. That might also explain that B-team producers/editors are putting on somewhat thrown-together bulletins right now.

At least that's my guess. It sounds like the big changes come April are all editorial and operational ones, with a bigger rethink of the branding and presentation elements much later once that's all sorted out.

RE: Newshound47 - W. Knight - 21-03-2023

(16-03-2023, 02:51 PM)Matrix Wrote:  
(16-03-2023, 01:39 PM)Newshound47 Wrote:  Talking about TikTok. The BBC has accounts on it - I wonder they be closed down now?
Although it may feel it--at the minute--my understanding is that the ban only applies to Govt tech. The state broadcaster is not included in that.
And now staff are encouraged to delete it. Marketing and news on there still continue though:
Quote:In an email to staff on Sunday, it said: "The decision is based on concerns raised by government authorities worldwide regarding data privacy and security.

"If the device is a BBC corporate device, and you do not need TikTok for business reasons, TikTok should be deleted from the BBC corporate mobile device."

Staff with the app on a personal phone that they also use for work have been asked to contact the corporation's Information Security team for further discussions, while it reviews concerns around TikTok.

BBC News has its own TikTok channel with 1.2 million followers, and has recently recruited journalists to work specifically on creating content for it. A separate BBC account, which shares BBC programme clips, has more than four million followers.

When asked, by BBC News, why the BBC was continuing to indirectly encourage use of the app by audiences while removing it from many corporate phones, the corporation said that it was giving guidance to staff with access to sensitive data, and was not issuing a public warning about the general use of TikTok.
(BBC News)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - thomalex - 21-03-2023

Interesting that some digital assets are being updated to the Chameleon style, first the YouTube page and now the Daily email. Could be a hint we are getting a pres refresh in April.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Radio_man - 21-03-2023

One thing that does seem sad, is that presenters who we are seeing put the hours in now, could disappear completely from our screens in two weeks time.
Annita McVeigh has been on air almost every morning since the joint service began, I think I've seen more of her on air since 6 March than I've ever seen of her. And then she could lose her job in two weeks time.  Sad

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Stooky Bill - 21-03-2023

(21-03-2023, 10:59 AM)Radio_man Wrote:  One thing that does seem unfair, is that presenters who we are seeing put the hours in now, could disappear completely from our screens in two weeks time.
Annita McVeigh has been on air almost every morning since the joint service began, I think I've seen more of her on air since 6 March than I've ever seen of her. And then she could lose her job in two weeks time.  Sad
It's not unfair, it's just how things work. What's the alternative, not employ her for another 4 weeks?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 21-03-2023

(21-03-2023, 01:56 AM)Frances Wrote:  But from an editorial aspect I think the Ten is suitable for world viewers because it has a good balance between domestic and international stories, and some major original international reports and analyses, which other World programmes don’t have.
It has a good balance for a domestic audience, but the Ten's international lean has declined over time and these days is roughly in line with the News channel's 60-70% domestic balance (other bulletins are higher, while World News was typically 80-90% non-UK news).

It might have some original reports, but wouldn't it just be easier to show them during World bulletins than to suffer through a number of logistical and commercial hurdles to show a bulletin that is disproportionately UK news during what will be some of World's only separated hours?

I just don't see who benefits here - if done properly, the UK has to have their flagship bulletin's structure butchered to accomodate World specifications, while World get a less relevant bulletin. Even on the (more justifiable) tape delay back-half route, is it really worth the hassle of an additional editor?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Radio_man - 21-03-2023

(21-03-2023, 11:03 AM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  
(21-03-2023, 10:59 AM)Radio_man Wrote:  One thing that does seem unfair, is that presenters who we are seeing put the hours in now, could disappear completely from our screens in two weeks time.
It's not unfair, it's just how things work. What's the alternative, not employ her for another 4 weeks?

No obviously not, it's just an observation. It is however strange that the wider team of presenters & reporters that will work on the channel have not been publicly announced - it's obvious that the channel cannot be presented 24/7 by the 5 chief presenters. Unless of course apart from the 5 chief presenters, the rest will be freelancers.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - W. Knight - 21-03-2023

(21-03-2023, 10:59 AM)thomalex Wrote:  Interesting that some digital assets are being updated to the Chameleon style, first the YouTube page and now the Daily email. Could be a hint we are getting a pres refresh in April.
I think we need to pin bbctvtechop's comment about it at the top by now...