Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - News76 - 16-12-2022

(16-12-2022, 12:02 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(16-12-2022, 11:41 AM)News76 Wrote:  The words i never want to hear ever again, in fact this whole merger should be thrown straight into Room 101 if it were up to me and cost cutting started again from scratch (not that i will be listened to on this but there we go!)

But then what really is your alternative. Everybody agrees with you that the merger is a bad idea and that, in an ideal world, it wouldn't be happening; but that's not the situation we are in. The BBC has to make severe cuts across all services and BBC News has to suffer fairly. If you aren't cutting the News channel then what are you prepared to lose instead? I'm listening.

Because, quite frankly, the News channel merger is probably one of the fairest places you can make cuts - it isn't a particularly unique service (in that everything it does is done by other BBC services) and, with regard to the channel's higest viewership moments, it will be functionally identical after the merger. I think the proposals can be improved (without significant increase in cost), but can't say that it isn't a sensible decision given the circumstances.

Anything but this frankly but it's not my choice is it?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - all new phil - 16-12-2022

(16-12-2022, 12:18 PM)Worzel Wrote:  How they will refer to it on other channels, outlets and online will be interesting to see because BBC News is the overarching brand as well, so its basically the 2008 confusion all over again when the News 24 name was retired.

It’s hardly confusion. People are quite comfortable with Sky News rather than the Sky News channel despite their website, app etc. This literally only seems to be an issue here.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - cityprod - 16-12-2022

(16-12-2022, 04:38 PM)all new phil Wrote:  
(16-12-2022, 12:18 PM)Worzel Wrote:  How they will refer to it on other channels, outlets and online will be interesting to see because BBC News is the overarching brand as well, so its basically the 2008 confusion all over again when the News 24 name was retired.

It’s hardly confusion. People are quite comfortable with Sky News rather than the Sky News channel despite their website, app etc. This literally only seems to be an issue here.
I'll be honest, I feel like the expansion of the BBC News brand here is diluting the brand somewhat.  If everything news on the BBC is branded BBC News, then just what actually is BBC News?  What does it mean to be part of that brand?  I'd rather have BBC World Service News, BBC News 24, BBC Radio News and so on and so forth, leaving the core BBC1 news service as the main BBC News, rather than everything just branded BBC News, making it somewhat meaningless.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 16-12-2022

(16-12-2022, 12:23 PM)News76 Wrote:  Anything but this frankly but it's not my choice is it?
It might not be your choice, but I do feel that if you are going to outright reject an unavoidable cost-saving plan then you do need some kind of even broadstrokes alternative in mind. There is a difference between 'I don't like the proposals, but obviously they are to some degree necessary' and 'I don't care about the context, they should cut other more unique services to protect this one'. Otherwise this just descends into 'they should keep the services I use and cut the ones I don't' talk.

(16-12-2022, 05:21 PM)cityprod Wrote:  I'll be honest, I feel like the expansion of the BBC News brand here is diluting the brand somewhat. If everything news on the BBC is branded BBC News, then just what actually is BBC News? What does it mean to be part of that brand?
I guess it means that it's all part of the News division of the BBC.

What you are describing is literally the opposite of diluting the brand. If all the BBC's standard news services are branded as BBC News it means that when you think/talk about where you get your news it's from BBC News or the BBC - the masterbrands are clear because you can't say 'I get my news from News'. If you have lots of duplicating subbrands such as BBC World Service News or BBC News 24, people tend to abbreviate - 'I get my news from the World Service' or 'I watch News 24' - the masterbrands are no longer present and the overall brand is therefore weaker.

(16-12-2022, 05:21 PM)cityprod Wrote:  
(16-12-2022, 04:38 PM)all new phil Wrote:  It’s hardly confusion. People are quite comfortable with Sky News rather than the Sky News channel despite their website, app etc. This literally only seems to be an issue here.
I'll be honest, I feel like the expansion of the BBC News brand here is diluting the brand somewhat.  If everything news on the BBC is branded BBC News, then just what actually is BBC News?  What does it mean to be part of that brand?  I'd rather have BBC World Service News, BBC News 24, BBC Radio News and so on and so forth, leaving the core BBC1 news service as the main BBC News, rather than everything just branded BBC News, making it somewhat meaningless.

Why do the BBC1 bulletins get to be BBC News? What makes them more BBC News than the news channel?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Newsroom - 16-12-2022

(16-12-2022, 07:42 PM)all new phil Wrote:  
(16-12-2022, 05:21 PM)cityprod Wrote:  I'll be honest, I feel like the expansion of the BBC News brand here is diluting the brand somewhat.  If everything news on the BBC is branded BBC News, then just what actually is BBC News?  What does it mean to be part of that brand?  I'd rather have BBC World Service News, BBC News 24, BBC Radio News and so on and so forth, leaving the core BBC1 news service as the main BBC News, rather than everything just branded BBC News, making it somewhat meaningless.

Why do the BBC1 bulletins get to be BBC News? What makes them more BBC News than the news channel?

That's a bit of a stupid question. 

Why is the Ten called the Ten? Why is the Six called the Six? Why is Breakfast called Breakfast and so on....

Exclamation

(16-12-2022, 07:51 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  
(16-12-2022, 07:42 PM)all new phil Wrote:  Why do the BBC1 bulletins get to be BBC News? What makes them more BBC News than the news channel?

That's a bit of a stupid question. 

Why is the Ten called the Ten? Why is the Six called the Six? Why is Breakfast called Breakfast and so on....

Exclamation

Not really.

(16-12-2022, 07:42 PM)all new phil Wrote:  
(16-12-2022, 05:21 PM)cityprod Wrote:  I'll be honest, I feel like the expansion of the BBC News brand here is diluting the brand somewhat.  If everything news on the BBC is branded BBC News, then just what actually is BBC News?  What does it mean to be part of that brand?  I'd rather have BBC World Service News, BBC News 24, BBC Radio News and so on and so forth, leaving the core BBC1 news service as the main BBC News, rather than everything just branded BBC News, making it somewhat meaningless.

Because they are the most watched, therefore when you say BBC News, most people think about the 6 & the 10 on BBC1, rather than anything else.  Hence, the sub brands actually help identify the source better.  I heard a story and it was only on the World Service news bulletins, nowhere else, so I would say I heard it on World Service News.  Where as saying I heard it on BBC News, doesn't tell you it was on the World Service only, not anywhere else.  Hence, the brand is diluted, by spreading it thinner over more sources.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 16-12-2022

(16-12-2022, 09:40 PM)cityprod Wrote:  Because they are the most watched, therefore when you say BBC News, most people think about the 6 & the 10 on BBC1, rather than anything else.  Hence, the sub brands actually help identify the source better.  I heard a story and it was only on the World Service news bulletins, nowhere else, so I would say I heard it on World Service News.  Where as saying I heard it on BBC News, doesn't tell you it was on the World Service only, not anywhere else.  Hence, the brand is diluted, by spreading it thinner over more sources.

Once again, this just isn't want brand dilution is - quite the opposite.

Also I really think most people would say 'I heard it on the BBC' - this specific academic-level referencing to specific news bulletins is not a particularly common occurrence. Even if you were pointing people in the direction of a particular programme, why would you ever point people towards BBC News bulletins on the BBC World Service - they are surface-level summaries. If people were interested in a particular story, you'd point them towards Newshour or whatever.

Plus the reason why everything is called BBC News is because it's a single source across multiple platforms. If a story is being covered on BBC News radio, it's also being covered on BBC News online/app and probably on BBC News TV as well. This is literally the whole point - BBC News is a single news organisation producing BBC News content across three mediums under the same BBC News brand. When it's on at Six, it's the BBC News at Six; when it's on their channel, it's the BBC News channel; when it's on their website, it's the BBC News website; and so on.

(16-12-2022, 10:19 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(16-12-2022, 09:40 PM)cityprod Wrote:  Because they are the most watched, therefore when you say BBC News, most people think about the 6 & the 10 on BBC1, rather than anything else.  Hence, the sub brands actually help identify the source better.  I heard a story and it was only on the World Service news bulletins, nowhere else, so I would say I heard it on World Service News.  Where as saying I heard it on BBC News, doesn't tell you it was on the World Service only, not anywhere else.  Hence, the brand is diluted, by spreading it thinner over more sources.

Once again, this just isn't want brand dilution is - quite the opposite.

Also I really think most people would say 'I heard it on the BBC' - this specific academic-level referencing to specific news bulletins is not a particularly common occurrence. Even if you were pointing people in the direction of a particular programme, why would you ever point people towards BBC News bulletins on the BBC World Service - they are surface-level summaries. If people were interested in a particular story, you'd point them towards Newshour or whatever.

Plus the reason why everything is called BBC News is because it's a single source across multiple platforms. If a story is being covered on BBC News radio, it's also being covered on BBC News online/app and probably on BBC News TV as well. This is literally the whole point - BBC News is a single news organisation producing BBC News content across three mediums under the same BBC News brand. When it's on at Six, it's the BBC News at Six; when it's on their channel, it's the BBC News channel; when it's on their website, it's the BBC News website; and so on.
Except I ONLY heard this on the World Service bulletins, it WASN'T on the BBC website, I didn't see it or hear it anywhere else.  It's not a "single source", it's different products on different stations.  Something gets diluted when it gets watered down.  Tell me how you are not watering down the whole BBC News brand by requiring it to carry many different products that all need to do different things for different audiences.