Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - LDN - 22-03-2023

(22-03-2023, 12:52 AM)Stuart Wrote:  
(21-03-2023, 11:46 PM)Worzel Wrote:  Who have zero budget.
Are you suggesting that all staff working at BBC Parliament are unpaid volunteers and that all the broadcast facilities are provided free of charge with no budget?

Is that really what you thought Worzel was suggesting?

Really?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Stuart - 22-03-2023

(22-03-2023, 12:55 AM)Newshound47 Wrote:  The commons is sitting at the same time so BBC Parliament can’t be used.
This is known as a sensible 'Editorial Decision'.

The House of Commons are going to be discussing:
[list]
[*]A message from the House of Lords
[*]Some amendments from the House of Lords about the 'Trade (Australia & New Zealand) Bill'
[*]Something about 'Businesses within Railway Arches'
[/list]

Not quite 'gripping alternatives' to simply broadcasting live the Committee Room with a former Prime Minister.

Why create an unnecessary running UK opt-out when you can show it elsewhere?

Every time they have a break from WN they can point people to BBC Parliament, or even have a pointer caption visible only to the domestic audience.

With limited capability, they really need to use resources properly.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Transmission - 22-03-2023

The idea that the News Channel shouldn't show the Select Committee today is absurd. 

It's a big story that deserves (and I'm sure will get) proper coverage for viewers in the UK and is not the sort of entirely parochial thing that global viewers wouldn't have any interest in, especially those tuning in to a BBC channel. The scandal itself had a lot of international interest at the time. I wouldn't be surprised if CNN show chunks of it later as well, depending on what might happen with Trump.

But besides all that, I can only imagine what the fallout would be if it was shunted off to BBC Parliament a week after accusations of government interference in the BBC.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - AJB39 - 22-03-2023

(22-03-2023, 09:16 AM)Transmission Wrote:  The idea that the News Channel shouldn't show the Select Committee today is absurd. 

It's a big story that deserves (and I'm sure will get) proper coverage for viewers in the UK and is not the sort of entirely parochial thing that global viewers wouldn't have any interest in, especially those tuning in to a BBC channel. The scandal itself had a lot of international interest at the time. I wouldn't be surprised if CNN show chunks of it later as well, depending on what might happen with Trump.

But besides all that, I can only imagine what the fallout would be if it was shunted off to BBC Parliament a week after accusations of government interference in the BBC.

It does have international interest especially as it involves a former Prime Minister. BBC World News still covered it in the 6pm GMT bulletin yesterday which is not simulcast in the UK. I am sure CNNI will cover parts of it as well depending on other news stateside.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 22-03-2023

(22-03-2023, 09:23 AM)AJB39 Wrote:  It does have international interest especially as it involves a former Prime Minister. BBC World News still covered it in the 6pm GMT bulletin yesterday which is not simulcast in the UK. I am sure CNNI will cover parts of it as well depending on other news stateside.
There might be a degree of international interest, but, particularly on BBC World News, these kinds of events should be shown in highlights, rather than taking four hours out of scheduled programming. I find it annoying enough when the BBC News channel decide to disappear for several hours in favour of live event coverage, but World News doing so across peak times in several key markets is just pointless and unjustifiable.

While I understand that BBC Parliament at present has a Commons-first policy, I'd honestly rather the channel be taken over by a consortium of the three news broadcasters and converted to a parliamentary and wider news events channel - allowing it to take these kinds of events live and unedited, while leaving the news channels to actually cover the news and use highlights of the event when necessary.

Krede - Krede - 22-03-2023

Boris Will be on BBC NC and BBC WN today

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Keith - 22-03-2023

(22-03-2023, 12:24 PM)Krede Wrote:  Boris Will be on BBC NC and BBC WN today
It could potentially be a bit awkward for BBC News if Trump gets arrested whilst Boris is being interviewed. Arguably two very big stories of public interest, one of more interest to UK viewers and the other arguably of more interest to international viewers.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Newsroom - 22-03-2023

(22-03-2023, 12:34 PM)Keith Wrote:  
(22-03-2023, 12:24 PM)Krede Wrote:  Boris Will be on BBC NC and BBC WN today
It could potentially be a bit awkward for BBC News if Trump gets arrested whilst Boris is being interviewed.  Arguably two very big stories of public interest, one of more interest to UK viewers and the other arguably of more interest to international viewers.

Very much looking forward to this afternoon's news fest! Have done a day's work in preparation for it all! 

Let's not forget the Vote taking place today which could prove tricky for Rishi Sunak!

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - TMD_24 - 22-03-2023

The BBC should be able to avoid Trump being arrested during Johnson's committee sitting as the Grand Jury in the Trump case don't meet until 7pm UK time today and the committee session should be wrapped by then.

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1638332481488269312?s=20 

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Radio_man - 22-03-2023

So World are going to show the full coverage of Boris Johnson's evidence to the committee this afternoon.

Would BBC World News have devoted up to 4 hours of live, continuous coverage over to British politics from Westminster before March 2020?