Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Radio_man - 22-03-2023

(22-03-2023, 04:16 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  
(22-03-2023, 04:13 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  I think it's ridiculous World is sticking with this total non event, it wasn't that relevant even when he was PM. The ''Partygate'' name is especially tabloid like. I'm sure people all over the world are desperate to know if Boris stood 1 m or 2 m from some other random person, years ago. Rolleyes If we're lucky might hear what they were drinking. Confused

There's a war going on and many other actual newsworthy events. A rare moment when one has to switch over to CNNI.

They don't have a choice during this month of madness which seems absolutely crazy.
I find it difficult to believe that World and the NC could not have separated with different teams for this one afternoon given how far in advance this afternoon's events have been known about. 
Losing 4 hours of rehearsal and piloting time out of a month surely was possible?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - gottago - 22-03-2023

(22-03-2023, 04:13 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  I think it's ridiculous World is sticking with this total non event, it wasn't that relevant even when he was PM. The ''Partygate'' name is especially tabloid like. I'm sure people all over the world are desperate to know if Boris stood 1 m or 2 m from some other random person, years ago. Rolleyes If we're lucky might hear what they were drinking. Confused

There's a war going on and many other actual newsworthy events. A rare moment when one has to switch over to CNNI.

I assume you just mean non-event for international viewers as opposed to UK viewers, for whom of course this has been a highly anticipated political event for months.

Though to be honest I expect there is a fair amount of interest globally given that a high profile former prime minister likely misled parliament and could well be suspended from it. Partygate, which was quite an appropriate name, did make the headlines around the world at the time.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - JayCasey - 22-03-2023

(22-03-2023, 04:13 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  I think it's ridiculous World is sticking with this total non event, it wasn't that relevant even when he was PM. The ''Partygate'' name is especially tabloid like. I'm sure people all over the world are desperate to know if Boris stood 1 m or 2 m from some other random person, years ago. Rolleyes If we're lucky, we might hear what they were drinking. Confused

Let's not forget that CNNI was airing a lot of the January 6th Committee stuff, which was an American political event.  This is in effect a similar event.  Can't blame the BBC for airing this internationally.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - BlightyExPat - 22-03-2023

As a viewer to 'World News' and previously 'World Service Television' since the service began back in the 90's, both here in the UK and overseas, a couple of points if I may......

In it's most recent format, until the end of last month, I've always found it frustrating, and doubtless confusing to other viewers, that it seems to be randomly referred to as 'BBC World News' one minute and 'BBC News' the next. 

Of course, this month we have BBC World News with Karen Giannone in the morning and then BBC News, with the World News screen ident for much of the remaining day.

I'm guessing that UK viewers are just as confused at the moment but I don't suppose any of this will matter next month but it's not what I would expect from the BBC.

Also, I don't know if I missed something, but I don't recall there being any warning of programmes such as Impact, Focus and Global were about to end?

As the majority opinion appears to suggest that the new format of the combined channels is likely to gravitate to the World format, or similar, will such programmes return?

We do very much enjoy the World format rather than the UK News format.

A very interesting and informative forum!

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - bilky asko - 22-03-2023

(22-03-2023, 04:13 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  I think it's ridiculous World is sticking with this total non event, it wasn't that relevant even when he was PM. The ''Partygate'' name is especially tabloid like. I'm sure people all over the world are desperate to know if Boris stood 1 m or 2 m from some other random person, years ago. Rolleyes If we're lucky, we might hear what they were drinking. Confused

An inquiry under oath, where the former Prime Minister could be charged with perjury if he doesn't tell the truth, and where questions refer to breaches of the law and guidelines the Prime Minister set and approved, is definitely worth coverage - whichever side you agree with.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 22-03-2023

(22-03-2023, 04:28 PM)JayCasey Wrote:  Let's not forget that CNNI was airing a lot of the January 6th Committee stuff, which was an American political event. This is in effect a similar event.
While I do think that news channels do far too easily fall back onto simply sticking on a live feed of some event, I would say that an inquiry into an attempted insurrection upon a national legislature and the involvment of the head of state in that is somewhat higher calibre and more internationally relevant than an inquiry into whether a former head of government lied to parliament.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Stooky Bill - 22-03-2023

(22-03-2023, 04:13 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  I think it's ridiculous World is sticking with this total non event, it wasn't that relevant Big Grin even when he was PM. The ''Partygate'' name is especially tabloid like. I'm sure people all over the world are desperate to know if Boris stood 1 m or 2 m from some other random person, years ago. Rolleyes If we're lucky, we might hear what they were drinking. Confused

You are Nadine Doris and I claim my £5  Big Grin

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Moz - 22-03-2023

I can remember rolling coverage of American trials on British news channels in the past of people I’d never even heard of.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ViridianFan - 22-03-2023

This afternoon shows just how difficult a job this new channel has in satisfying both the NC audience and the world news audience who expect vastly different things. We obviously cannot judge how it will pan out as we know this is the transition period and we were told there were to be no opt outs.

One thing which kind of dawned on me the Roger day muttering about what I was doing was watching the channel as a NC viewer. Many of us (including myself) have referred to myself as a NC viewer or a World News viewer but officially those channels no longer exist. I’ve been trying to watch it as a BBC News Channel with UK opt out viewer. Whilst I’m still not a fan I’ve accepted it is what it is.

One question I haven’t been able to find an answer is how is the new channel being funded? Lots of people have mentioned how World News was making a profit but I’ve been unable to find anywhere the official answer where it’s been published saying how much the channel will cost to run and how much this is covered by the revenue brought in via BBC world News and how much if any comes from the license fee if any.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 22-03-2023

(22-03-2023, 05:40 PM)ViridianFan Wrote:  One question I haven’t been able to find an answer is how is the new channel being funded? Lots of people have mentioned how World News was making a profit but I’ve been unable to find anywhere the official answer where it’s been published saying how much the channel will cost to run and how much this is covered by the revenue brought in via BBC world News and how much if any comes from the license fee if any.
The new channel will be funded through a mix of global advertisting revenue and licence fee money. BBC World News' budget is around £90-100m and typically brings in around £10m in profit. The exact UK contribution to the channel hasn't been publicly announced, but the closure of the channel was said to bring about £25m in savings - which, given the BBC News channel's current content budget of £60m, means that we would expect about £30-35m will come from licence money. This would represent about a quarter of the overall budget of the combined channel.